Do you keep clothes that you haven't worn for a year?

LVmom

sleepless in The Lou
O.G.
Mar 2, 2006
St.Louis
I go through my closet every season and obsessively weed-if I don't love it or automatically reach for it,it has to go. I have regretted the tossing very little,and appreciate the extra space a lot. I do the same thing with shoes and handbags,too.

addicted

O.G.
Jan 17, 2006
The only things I really keep are jeans and suits. The rest, I rotate out and give lots to goodwill.

As far as tags go, I don't tear off the tag until I'm ready to wear. I still have a few pieces with the tags on, but I know I will get around to wearing them as they are classics.

Funny, but I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, and got rid of all of my larger sized clothing. Then after having a baby, I wished I still had all of those. Oh well..no use crying over spilled milk!

addicted

O.G.
Jan 17, 2006
LVmom said:
I go through my closet every season and obsessively weed-if I don't love it or automatically reach for it,it has to go. I have regretted the tossing very little,and appreciate the extra space a lot. I do the same thing with shoes and handbags,too.
LVmom - your avatar is SOOO cute!:biggrin: How did you make that? Did you use a program?

vicky

O.G.
Mar 1, 2006
Sweden
I used to keep everything - but ended up with a depressing amount of old clothes and absolutely no room for new. So I decided to get rid of everything a didnt love. After that big cleanout, I'm getting better at rotating, I sell designer stuff at a consignmentstore and give the rest I dont use to friends or charity. I only keep special pieces for my daughter - I got some really cool 60:s dresses from my mum once, so I guess my little girl might want some of my things when she grows older.

jillybean307

Wanderlust
O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
I'm really bad about giving clothes away/getting rid of old clothes, especially if it's something someone else bought me. I always think, "Someone's hard earned money bought me this, I should keep it."

I donated three huge bags of clothes to the Salvation Army last year, but it took me forever to do it. I'm trying to get better at it.

heavensent

Shop-a-holic
Sep 20, 2005
I try to wear everything i buy at least once , but i dont detag unitl i wear it , and the things i dont wear give to my sis or salvation army

sunshinesmilee

beaches & sunny days☀️
O.G.
Jan 7, 2006
Paradise
Designer name clothes are sold at a consignment store - I can make some money back at least. Other items are donated or given away.
Once I pulled a bunch of practically new, hardly worn items from my closet (I think about 8-10 pieces - mostly bought from NM) and made about $900 back!;) That was a new bag for me!

I used to keep everything! Partly because I wanted to and partly because my mom said if I ever wanted to get rid of something she'd send it to our family in the Philippines. However, she never got around to sending anything and before I went off to college I gave everything to Goodwill (& some stuff to my brothers. . .still a tomboy here lol).