Do you have pricing fatigue?

Coco.lover

Nov 3, 2015
Please move if I posted in the wrong place. I am genuinely interested if other people are feeling the same way. I've been a life long Chanel fan, I have been collecting for over 14 years but since the last increase the spark has faded. The new prices are exhausting, the quality isn't there. I understand they want the 1% only. I wonder if items are selling as fast as they make it sound. A few weeks ago I went to the Bal Harbour store and they had so many of the red minis all over the store. A few years you would have to be in a list to get your hand on one. Just a small rant.

This seems to be a luxury-wide sentiment. See first link below for a thread on the Hermes version of your sentiment and the second for luxury more generally. BLUF: People are burnt out!

Yes, of course I do. I have been buying Chanel over 20 years. The greed is off the charts, blame the resellers for that. Chanel saw what people are willing to spend and raised accordingly.
It's not a matter of affording it, it's feeling like a fool. I was just in Chanel today and it was dead, same with LV. Lot's of people buying shoes though.

Yes, of course I do. I have been buying Chanel over 20 years. The greed is off the charts, blame the resellers for that. Chanel saw what people are willing to spend and raised accordingly.
It's not a matter of affording it, it's feeling like a fool. I was just in Chanel today and it was dead, same with LV. Lot's of people buying shoes though.
Thats the thing, the resale market is so over saturated as well. And things aren't moving. I was in London recently and the boots I liked were almost $3k pounds. I coulee purchased it but It's like you said it's the principle and feeling like a fool.

I have had “fatigue” for a couple years now…both the process of purchasing and the frequency of price hikes became exhausting. While I still love the aesthetic…the buying experience simply wasn’t that enjoyable anymore.
The piece I bolded is so very true, but isn’t discussed enough around here. The whole dedicated SA thing, being assigned an SA who follows you around the store when you just want to browse, etc. I will add to your list the constant churn of new collections and the inverse relationship between price and quality. Will this stop me from buying luxury? No, probably not, but it does have me rethinking. There are a couple of Chanel items I’ve had my eye on, but finding them is difficult, prices are eye-watering and I’m tired of dealing with SAs who think it’s your job to provide them with good customer service.

Last edited:
I am personally feeling exhausted as well. I don't know if I am suddenly being illuminated or awaken by something but am beginning to see the whole "price increase" as a money grab scheme.

I was told by a reliable, managerial position, source that "shoes are doing well" but the rest including bags and RTW is certainly not. Another story that was shared with me is how a well known (local) billionaire business woman has made it clear that she has a firm budget to shop, so when Chanel increased the prices this last round, she literally said that she hit her budget and wont be going over it, so they had to recalculate every thing she pre-ordered down to her budget. I guess I am using this as an example of someone who is clearly able to afford much with a very generous budget but even she will tighten up the strings as needed. Kudos to her for doing that, and teaching me a valuable lesson to no matter how much money we could be making, not to be continuously accommodating their price increases into our budget.

On other stories I am hearing from SAs is that some customers purposely changing their profile info so they can't be reached (bothered). So what I interpreted from that is that yes, some people are definitely "over" Chanel or done with Chanel. The days when people use to be so eager to share their contact info for a nice bag / RTW seem to be coming to an end.

I feel that the more people get over luxury houses in general, the more it will impact the secondary market/ interest just as well. Could be good or bad depending on which side of the equation you are in. If you are a buyer, then this buyer's market would be excellent to find good deals in secondary.

I am personally feeling exhausted as well. I don't know if I am suddenly being illuminated or awaken by something but am beginning to see the whole "price increase" as a money grab scheme.

I was told by a reliable, managerial position, source that "shoes are doing well" but the rest including bags and RTW is certainly not. Another story that was shared with me is how a well known (local) billionaire business woman has made it clear that she has a firm budget to shop, so when Chanel increased the prices this last round, she literally said that she hit her budget and wont be going over it, so they had to recalculate every thing she pre-ordered down to her budget. I guess I am using this as an example of someone who is clearly able to afford much with a very generous budget but even she will tighten up the strings as needed. Kudos to her for doing that, and teaching me a valuable lesson to no matter how much money we could be making, not to be continuously accommodating their price increases into our budget.

On other stories I am hearing from SAs is that some customers purposely changing their profile info so they can't be reached (bothered). So what I interpreted from that is that yes, some people are definitely "over" Chanel or done with Chanel. The days when people use to be so eager to share their contact info for a nice bag / RTW seem to be coming to an end.

I feel that the more people get over luxury houses in general, the more it will impact the secondary market/ interest just as well. Could be good or bad depending on which side of the equation you are in. If you are a buyer, then this buyer's market would be excellent to find good deals in secondary.
This is so interesting specially with the billionaire client. I go to London often and I notice shoes are always busy and this last time I went no wait for the bags. It's a shame that they are so greedy. I love them but I just cant justify a $10k or $12k for a bag.

Definitely feel this. I feel a lot of guilt and shame over a recent Chanel purchase because the price is insane and I feel like a fool. I still like the bag don't get me wrong, but the amount I spent and how much I think it is worth has taken the joy out of owning the bag - I've contemplated selling it a few times just to ease the guilt that I'm feeling :/

Definitely feel this. I feel a lot of guilt and shame over a recent Chanel purchase because the price is insane and I feel like a fool. I still like the bag don't get me wrong, but the amount I spent and how much I think it is worth has taken the joy out of owning the bag - I've contemplated selling it a few times just to ease the guilt that I'm feeling :/
The price increases have been astronomical even in the vintage Chanel world (which is mostly my experience), but I know what you mean when you feel so guilty about how much a bag costs. I think if you love the bag you should allow yourself to enjoy it. Unfortunately if you sell it, you may not make all your money back, depending on the bag and if you consign it too. I think the best way is to wear it as much as possible so you get the most cost per wear! HTH ❤️