Do you get better service when you carry more expensive bags?

SAs do profile their potential customers and can be pricks based solely on the customers' clothing and bag. This does not happen everywhere but when it does, it's really annoying.

I actually gave feedback to a department store recently, about the behavior of their SAs when it comes to profiling customers. A little earlier I was trying to get the attention of the SAs in the bag department but got none cared to even look at me in the eye despite me being a frequent shopper there. I'm also always nice and respectful to SAs who are nice to me so it wasn't like they had a reason to behave like that. (SA at the LC counter was always super helpful, though)
Then, past me walks a woman carrying a FAKE LV and would you look at that - she got the attention of not one, but two SAs just by appearing. They just looked at her bag and immediately ran over to help her. The strange thing was, they didn't show any signs of actually knowing her and she said she didn't need any help.
I was carrying a ~1 000€ bag but it was a Mulberry Tillie so they probably didn't recognise what it was.

Another time was when I was in Stockholm and basically got chased out by a snotty SA in a luxury second hand boutique. I was taking a look at a Mulberry Del Rey and the SA basically tore it off my hands. I then asked to see a Sonia Rykiel bag I saw hanging on the wall and she replied "Yes, it's a SR" but she had NO intention of taking it down for me to see. She then pointed at an ugly bag - brown two-toned croc print, a style that seemed to never sell out despite serious price drops - on the shelf and said "That one is cheap". She did look a little surprised when I named the designer and style and told her what the original and sale prices were (they were asking the price of a new one for second hand) and mentioned that I had a somewhat similar one in a nicer leather&different size from the same design house.
I was wearing an old hoodie, jeans and banged-up Superstars because I was traveling solo and I don't want to look like I'm worth robbing. I was carrying a nylon crossbody bought for 5 € at Stadium.
Went straight to NK and got supreme service at the Mulberry counter, among others. They didn't seem to care about my outfit, and were super nice.

I think the SAs who don't care to help customers that don't look like a million bucks, just don't know the realities of life. One being the fact that especially old money might not look like money at all. I learned my lesson at a very young age - one of the most surreal learning experiences happened when I was a teenager and was at a regatta, helping our local team to fasten their boat after winning a race.
A scruffy-looking old man was yelling profanities at the crew of another boat that was closing the pier. I thought that he was just a hobo making trouble or something, but was wondering why none of the sailors or regatta staff said or did anything about it.
Turns out, he OWNED that frickin' boat - I knew it was owned by one of the most formidable industrial patrons in Finland and there he was, in beat up sailing shoes, dirty sailing jacket and old scruffy jeans, yelling at his hired super crew of his world renowned boat for not winning. This was time before internet and the celebrity boom so I had no way of knowing what this mega millionaire looked like before this very eye-opening experience.
Yeah...after that, I knew better than to form an opinion on who is who merely based on looks. :whut:

Happened to me as well, but it might be the entire outfit or the way I presented myself, not sure if it is solely because of the designer bag.

I think you hit it-it's happened to me many times, if I'm dressed in a St. John suit or something similar, the SAs come right up to me, smiles abound, not sure they even noticed the purse I was carrying...

I definitely notice a difference in some designer stores if I carry a noticeably designer bag and dress "well" v shopping on a more casual / non descript day. It irritates the heck out of me.

Going further, some stores will profile to the point of pointedly watching and following me without any offer of service for fear I'll spontaneously turn to a life of crime and rob them blind. :mad: Versace is the biggest offender I've ever experienced with this issue. (Two different locations. Same crap.) So, I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from Versace and won't ever enter another of their stores. Dolce and Gabanna (US not European or Middle Eastern stores) is a close second. That's soured me on that brand as well.

But, this kind of crazy is one of the 10,000 reasons I prefer to buy online. I don't have time for silliness and SA profiling.

Interestingly, the one brand that is ALWAYS nice and service oriented in store no matter the country or continent is Dior. It's always a pleasure interacting with staff in their locations.

SAs do profile their potential customers and can be pricks based solely on the customers' clothing and bag. This does not happen everywhere but when it does, it's really annoying.

I actually gave feedback to a department store recently, about the behavior of their SAs when it comes to profiling customers. A little earlier I was trying to get the attention of the SAs in the bag department but got none cared to even look at me in the eye despite me being a frequent shopper there. I'm also always nice and respectful to SAs who are nice to me so it wasn't like they had a reason to behave like that. (SA at the LC counter was always super helpful, though)
Then, past me walks a woman carrying a FAKE LV and would you look at that - she got the attention of not one, but two SAs just by appearing. They just looked at her bag and immediately ran over to help her. The strange thing was, they didn't show any signs of actually knowing her and she said she didn't need any help.
I was carrying a ~1 000€ bag but it was a Mulberry Tillie so they probably didn't recognise what it was.

Another time was when I was in Stockholm and basically got chased out by a snotty SA in a luxury second hand boutique. I was taking a look at a Mulberry Del Rey and the SA basically tore it off my hands. I then asked to see a Sonia Rykiel bag I saw hanging on the wall and she replied "Yes, it's a SR" but she had NO intention of taking it down for me to see. She then pointed at an ugly bag - brown two-toned croc print, a style that seemed to never sell out despite serious price drops - on the shelf and said "That one is cheap". She did look a little surprised when I named the designer and style and told her what the original and sale prices were (they were asking the price of a new one for second hand) and mentioned that I had a somewhat similar one in a nicer leather&different size from the same design house.
I was wearing an old hoodie, jeans and banged-up Superstars because I was traveling solo and I don't want to look like I'm worth robbing. I was carrying a nylon crossbody bought for 5 € at Stadium.
Went straight to NK and got supreme service at the Mulberry counter, among others. They didn't seem to care about my outfit, and were super nice.

I think the SAs who don't care to help customers that don't look like a million bucks, just don't know the realities of life. One being the fact that especially old money might not look like money at all. I learned my lesson at a very young age - one of the most surreal learning experiences happened when I was a teenager and was at a regatta, helping our local team to fasten their boat after winning a race.
A scruffy-looking old man was yelling profanities at the crew of another boat that was closing the pier. I thought that he was just a hobo making trouble or something, but was wondering why none of the sailors or regatta staff said or did anything about it.
Turns out, he OWNED that frickin' boat - I knew it was owned by one of the most formidable industrial patrons in Finland and there he was, in beat up sailing shoes, dirty sailing jacket and old scruffy jeans, yelling at his hired super crew of his world renowned boat for not winning. This was time before internet and the celebrity boom so I had no way of knowing what this mega millionaire looked like before this very eye-opening experience.
Yeah...after that, I knew better than to form an opinion on who is who merely based on looks. :whut:
SAs should also remember that a young lady who cannot afford an expensive bag today might afford it in the future and will certainly not come back to a boutique where the staff looked down on her.

Last Christmas I went to NM to buy a Gucci treat for myself and could get NO ONE to wait on my husband or me. I actually spoke to the manager to complain.
Then I went to LV.

Funny how the high-end department stores can have such appalling service sometimes...years ago I was at Saks 5th looking to get another Burberry scarf for my outfit, and both I and a SA reached for the same one. She's helping a middle-aged lady with a daughter by her side, and gave me the most condescending look like I'm a piece of dirt. The times I did pop over to the Burberry boutique to check out new items, none of the staff had an issue when I was just browsing. I tend to dress however my mind feels like it, so maybe that's why the service I get varies...?

I definitely notice a difference in some designer stores if I carry a noticeably designer bag and dress "well" v shopping on a more casual / non descript day. It irritates the heck out of me.

Going further, some stores will profile to the point of pointedly watching and following me without any offer of service for fear I'll spontaneously turn to a life of crime and rob them blind. :mad: Versace is the biggest offender I've ever experienced with this issue. (Two different locations. Same crap.) So, I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from Versace and won't ever enter another of their stores. Dolce and Gabanna (US not European or Middle Eastern stores) is a close second. That's soured me on that brand as well.

Same; you bet the SA's that followed me around, like I'll rob their undeserving items never got a penny. That usually turns me off on getting anything from the brand too, so stores really should train their associates better...if they're serious about their sales volume.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
It has to be a recognizable brand, but yes. I bought a Burberry bag just to have one recognizable designer purse. (My purse budget caps out at about 2k so no Chanels for me.) Few recognize my balenciaga or Ferragamos in the Midwest where I live. I toyed with the idea of getting a mono LV just for the recognizability factor. You can spot those things 100 yards away. But dark brown purses don't do anything for me.

I think it depends on what store you go to. Like if you're going to the supermarket, no one cares. But if you're walking into Saks, I think it matters.
That reminded me...recently I went to a grocery store I don't normally frequent, and the check out boy(he was maybe 16-17 yrs old) asked quite a few questions abut the LV handbag I was wearing( a newer style I had bought in Paris) and so I wondered---did his mother love handbags? or a girlfriend? I was touched, though.

That reminded me...recently I went to a grocery store I don't normally frequent, and the check out boy(he was maybe 16-17 yrs old) asked quite a few questions abut the LV handbag I was wearing( a newer style I had bought in Paris) and so I wondered---did his mother love handbags? or a girlfriend? I was touched, though.

Or maybe he was into LV himself.

I remember years ago, I went to Mulberry in Hongkong and I held an Alexa (I think). The SA sprinted towards me like I was going to dash out with the bag. lol. I was travelling and I was in my usual non-descript clothes.

This exact thing happened to me. The check out boy (16-17) commented on my LV. He even knew the name of it and asked what my favorite canvas was. He said he was an LV fanatic and showed me his LV belt that he’d just received as a birthday gift and told me about his LV wish list. :smile:

I find customer service quite variable (except at Dior and my local Chanel boutique - always exemplary) but I couldn't say it seems related to what I am wearing/carrying at a particular time. Poor customer service is purely a lack of professionalism and I think that can strike at any time.