Do you get better service when you carry more expensive bags?

Very true about Dior SA’s. Always consistent good customer service no matter where you are.

Except the ones in Vegas. Totally ignored me and my family when I wanted to look at a necklace. And all of us were wearing those big, poofy sport-themed jackets. This was in late December when Vegas was absolutely freezing. But this was decades ago. We usually avoid all Dior stores now.

As for LV, I’ve been getting lots of good customer service in most boutiques I’ve been to: Palo Alto, San Jose, Roseville, Athens, Greece; Naples, Italy... and I was in casual clothes and usually carrying non-branded bags.

The only time I got s***** customer service was at the standalone boutique in San Francisco. Totally ignored me and I had on another LV bag with me. If you check Yelp, lots of other women and men complained the same thing, even those already wearing LV. Thumbs down.

I got very good customer service at Hermes In SF. Mom was carrying her LV Neverfull and me just some non-branded bag. Both of us are in casual clothes but the sales associates have been very accommodating and patient with us. Love that store.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermezzy
Was that at Stockmann?
Oh yes, their Helsinki branch. The other stores aren't as bad - I've actually gotten some proper service at the Tampere branch. It surprised me so, that I walked out with a MbMJ in tow! I was just kinda traipsing around, when the SA pounced and five mins later I was at the register with a new bag.

The Stockmann SAs usually tend to just stand behind the counter and act as if they don't see the customers. The changes in the attitude haven't really followed the trend of having to make a sale. 20 yrs ago I worked at Stockmann and then I was told I wasn't to actually approach customers and that we, the "Stockmann maidens" were better than other SAs. Why we should've been any better than others, I was never explained. They have a high opinion of themselves...

Oh yes, their Helsinki branch. The other stores aren't as bad - I've actually gotten some proper service at the Tampere branch. It surprised me so, that I walked out with a MbMJ in tow! I was just kinda traipsing around, when the SA pounced and five mins later I was at the register with a new bag. ...

PM me next time you are there; we can have a coffee. I’m steps away most days, at the university.
Yeah, I think pks people in general are snobby about themselves, so why should the SAs be any different? ;) hahahaha

Reactions: Amazona
PM me next time you are there; we can have a coffee. I’m steps away most days, at the university.
Yeah, I think pks people in general are snobby about themselves, so why should the SAs be any different? ;) hahahaha
So on point about the snobbery! :lol:
I work on the other side of the Tre center so I pass by the uni every day on my way to and from work. Def will PM the next time I know I have no plans after work! :drinks:

Interesting topic that I've considered. My first Chanel experience was in Macy's, NYC. I walked around for a long while before anyone acknowledged me. The SA who finally did was so nice and helpful! I bought a reissue from him, all the while apologizing about my sloppy appearance and scruffy Birkenstocks. (Although I was carrying a Gucci cross body and wearing a Cartier watch that day.)

My boyfriend’s theory on bad service wasn’t whether or not we were dressed well he mentioned it was more on the SAs part that why they are so unhelpful and sometimes snobby is because they are jealous that we can afford the bags while they were working there. Not sure though I would actually love working at the stores just to see lovely bags and shoes all day :P

It depends really. When I bought my first Chanel, I was wearing a Michael Kors bag, but received great customer service. About a month ago, I visited NM Last Call, I had a Chanel woc, the SA refused to show me Celine bag. I made her do it. The bag was not in leather that I was looking for, but I wouldn't buy it from her any way.

Interesting topic that I've considered. My first Chanel experience was in Macy's, NYC. I walked around for a long while before anyone acknowledged me. The SA who finally did was so nice and helpful! I bought a reissue from him, all the while apologizing about my sloppy appearance and scruffy Birkenstocks. (Although I was carrying a Gucci cross body and wearing a Cartier watch that day.)

When did Macy's get a Chanel?

Reactions: Shelby33
This is definitely true for me. In fact, I never really noticed a dramatic change until I bought my Goyard St. Louis. A few weeks ago, I bought a Balenciaga cap. That is a pretty small designer purchase. Much to my surprise, I received a thank you card in the mail from the SA thanking me for the purchase and inviting me back in for new collections. This could be a coincidence, but I think not.

i don't think any of my bags or clothes have made a difference. just in my own experience it's the confidence level you walk in. i almost feel like a designer outfit or bag gets me ignored more, b/c they are assessing me for longer before approaching/helping. i often go into LV or Chanel with sweats and sneakers and have been treated the same as if i was dressed from head-to-toe in designer duds.

so far , i don't see a difference in the standard of service. i have walked into luxury shops with my Celine and Mulberry bags and received the same level of attentiveness as when I walk in with a supermarket plastic bag.

The exception is LV. I had walked in once with my Celine bag and the SA followed me everywhere. I was annoyed but wanted to check out the City Steamer in person and so ignored her. I saw a nice City Steamer, put my bag on the counter and lifted the City Steamer up by the handles to see if it was heavy. A SA came forward and told me not to touch the bags because they have to use "special gloves" to touch the LV, and moved my bag out of the way. I told her coolly to keep her hands off my Celine and walked away. Never went back to a LV store ever since!

I'm sure profiling actually does happen at times, but I'm also fairly certain that it may be just that some SAs are bad workers!!! I used to wonder if my appearance made a difference, but I truly think (and am appreciative) that here in Manhattan, SAs are amazing in that they are friendly and greet you warmly, then step back to let you browse, leaving it open-ended. It also seems that many SAs are perceptive enough to see if I'm speed-shopping for anything specific, vs window-strolling. It's only happened in rare instances where some SAs are too busy chatting with each other to help or care- then it's apparent they don't care about helping ANYONE, which is aggravating, so I move elsewhere.

(That being said, I've noticed a stark contrast in other (random) people's interactions with me when I'm in a very good/bad mood- I must put out really strong energy or something! This despite what I'm wearing or how I'm 'done' that day- the variable reactions seem to be more about MY variable emotional outlook vs my physical appearance, interestingly! I feel I should note here that I'm always up-front friendly and polite, but very to-the-point, more so than others at times, we being in NYC andv rushing around and all... but always make it a point to say hello in a friendly way first, to ANYONE before requesting anything, especially service-related. People really seem to appreciate that, and it goes a long way!)