Do you find that your jewelry style goes through different “phases”?What phase are you in right now?

Interesting to think about -

I started out being strictly a silver or white metal girl - even growing up - I always thought gold was tacky -

I think my early 20's i either wore my Elsa Peretti heart or teardrop tiffany necklace... or something that my bf at the time bought me - all very dainty and non-descript.

Now my tastes are drastically different, I am still not super flashy - but I actually prefer yellow gold, my wedding/eng ring are all gold - and i stopped spending money on most of the fashion jewelry and invested in unique pieces that give me freedom to have a diy effect - OR.. I love up-cycled or antique pieces. (The Artemisian makes some awesome "watch" bracelets)

this question really is a trip down memory lane.... total tangent here, I remember thinking i was cool as hell when I made my own necklace from a Keroppi (only Sanrio lovers will understand) pen (ripped him off and took a paper clip and heated it on the stove - poked a hole and voila! Keroppi charm!) I guess I liked making stuff and being unique...

I still make some jewelry... but adulting has kind of stolen away some of my energy.

Ok now i'm rambling LOL

• Haha
Reactions: papertiger
I think a love of jewellery must be in my genes, my beloved maternal grandmother adored jewellery and my grandfather loved sourcing and buying it for her during business trips that took him all over the world. As a child (and adult!) I loved to look at my mother’s jewellery box and one of my happiest childhood memories is of when she decided to gift me her costume jewellery collection as she had moved on to fine jewellery by that point. DD, at age 4, is showing every sign of being just like me when it comes to jewellery, so I can’t wait to gift her my collection one day. I always bear this in mind now when I make a new purchase as I am trying to be less frivolous and only buy classic pieces that are likely to stand the test of time.

During my teens and twenties I loved costume jewellery and chunky solid silver pieces, then moved on to fine jewellery when I got engaged at age 30 and received a yellow gold and diamond engagement ring from DH.

I started my 30s and fine jewellery collection with dainty designs in 18k yellow gold, mainly from Tiffany & Co before I branched out to other designers and also quality gold/diamond/gemstone pieces from my local jeweller in my mid-late thirties.

At 39 I still enjoy buying and wearing pieces from the bigger names such as Cartier and Tiffany but also really appreciate the more individual, quality jewellery that you buy if you don’t go down the designer route (and at a fraction of the price).

I buy a lot more secondhand now than I did a few years ago and have acquired some of my best pieces this way including both my Cartier Love bracelets as well as my diamond tennis bracelet.

I have a few staples such as my two Cartier Loves that I wear everyday (one or both together), but change up my earrings and rings regularly. I used to wear only diamond studs until a couple of years ago but am now really enjoying diamond/gemstone drop earrings and am trying to grow my collection. I also used to wear diamond eternity bands/plain gold rings almost exclusively but have developed a love of gemstones over the last year, especially aquamarine (my birthstone), citrine and sapphire (blue and pink).

Mixing metals used to be a big no no for me but since I bought my second Cartier Love in white gold, I love the look of it stacked with my Love in yellow gold and this then helps to blend in any rings in different metal colours.

Jewellery just brings me so much joy - difficult to articulate! I am the definition of a magpie!

• Love
Reactions: saligator and EvaH
I love jewelry, always have, but like a previous poster, the older I get, the less I seem to wear.

Once in awhile I will splash out and wear several shiny, sparkly pieces together, but most of the time I wear mostly plain items and maybe one sparkly piece.

There is a part of me that is like hey, I am older, it is time for the BIG jewelry, but there is another part of me that is like nah, a plain wedding band, some pearl or diamond earrings, a low-key necklace and it's all good.

I used to be an absolute crow. I loved anything shiny! I loved real gemstones!

Now, I'd rather not draw too much attention.

I would say about 7 years ago my jewelry changed. The last piece of costume jewelry I bought was from Baublebar. I feel like costume jewelry looks to fake to me. I have always loved amd will continue wear chandelier earrings but I wear real gemstones and metals like sterling silver, gold, platinum. I love pearls and studs. Besides the chandelier earrings my jewelry is a bit more conservative. In the pasf I used to wear gaudy costume jewelry.

Reactions: hhw
I think it’s normal when you jewelry taste changes with age and fashion. The only thing that has remained constant with me is my love for jewelry. I used to wear a lot of chunky silver in my 20s, that was what was fashionable, and now I’m into yellow gold and diamonds.

I used to wear huge earrings, too, and now I think I look better in studs, plus I don’t want to deal with heavy earrings.

I’ve never been into colored gemstones, I don’t know why… I think they would be very flattering on me (deep winter coloring, pale skin and dark hair and dark eyes, anything high contrast looks good on me) giving me some color, but I love diamonds more. And I love that diamonds are care free. I have a few gemstone pieces but I rarely wear them.

Reactions: claireby and hhw
Super interesting! I never bought costume jewelry as I can only wear solid gold or platinum due to allergies + come from a family where costume stuff was just not a thing. But I definitely went from "barely there" pieces (teens/early 20s) to more visible pieces (now in my 30s). I love my barely there pieces as I don't attract any attention at the hospital so they still get used + will be a great starter pack for a daughter or a niece but in my daily life I don't reach for them as much.

I have never cared for traditional luxury brands (except 1800/early 1900s Cartier, Garrard etc - the Sotheby jewels auction make my heart sing but I have yet to pull the trigger). I favour bespoke jeweller for the "substantial pieces". There are some design that I have considered over the year though (the JUC & Trinity) but I haven't pulled the trigger.

My goal since I turned 18 is to have a full parure of all the precious stones (white diamonds, blue sapphire, ruby, emerald) + some semi-precious stones (white pearl, tanzanite, amethyst and citrine) so I tend to favour that one piece per year.

I wonder how my jewellery style will evolve once I become a mother & beyond!

• Love
Reactions: claireby
Super interesting! I never bought costume jewelry as I can only wear solid gold or platinum due to allergies + come from a family where costume stuff was just not a thing. But I definitely went from "barely there" pieces (teens/early 20s) to more visible pieces (now in my 30s). I love my barely there pieces as I don't attract any attention at the hospital so they still get used + will be a great starter pack for a daughter or a niece but in my daily life I don't reach for them as much.

I have never cared for traditional luxury brands (except 1800/early 1900s Cartier, Garrard etc - the Sotheby jewels auction make my heart sing but I have yet to pull the trigger). I favour bespoke jeweller for the "substantial pieces". There are some design that I have considered over the year though (the JUC & Trinity) but I haven't pulled the trigger.

My goal since I turned 18 is to have a full parure of all the precious stones (white diamonds, blue sapphire, ruby, emerald) + some semi-precious stones (white pearl, tanzanite, amethyst and citrine) so I tend to favour that one piece per year.

Oh I love reading this.
Would love to see the pieces you have collected so far

I also started with barely there and I wear them every day. Mostly plain gold or small diamonds.
A bit more substantial pieces are in the planning now though, I want to make a gold medallion with my grandmother fingerprint

I’m just starting to get interested by coloured stones, and bought a brown Cambodia zircon this summer, to put on a ring but im still undecided on the design.
Like you I’m also considering different stones and would love to find a beautiful sapphire and an emerald. The wishlist is pretty haha!

oh forgot to add that I also don’t favour much traditional luxury brands. I do love the trinity ring and went to try it on last weekend again, but I could only wear it on my left little finger and I don’t like that the size cannot be changed to fit my right one if/when I wear a wedding set.. so will probably pass :sad:

And for the rest I find some luxury pieces beautiful but can’t deal with the markup of luxury when I see what I could get for that price with my jeweler, the quality of stones, the more substantial pieces, the custom design etc..

I love reading everyone's responses in this thread. I am in my 30s now, My style went from costume to silver to gold and platinum. My style def changed since my teen years. I am on my diamond jewelry currently after a long journey of minimalism. I realized that I love the sparkle and need some to fill in my jewelry collection. I am no longer into bold design but love the look of modernism. I also love some Asian-inspired designer jewelry. You can't really beat the intricacy in those pieces.

Reactions: claireby
I got into jewelry later in adulthood. Prior, I wore "art jewelry" from museum shops or modern art collectives run by small avant garde artists catering to their peers. It was fun to wear wild pieces like that. Eventually, i stopped being interested in these and moved to 18kt gold and platinum. I exclusively wore white metals for years, then suddenly switched to nearly exclusively YG.

I have a mix of branded and not, but my favorite thing has been custom work, getting pieces remade. I did a bunch of these for a milestone birthday and it was so much fun!

Currently I'm just filling in gaps in my collection---getting chains for things that don't have the right ones, using up loose stones in things, making things that weren't wearable, wearable again...

I still have my eye on new pieces, but am trying to enjoy what I have, too.

I don't know what I said before, but currently I'm in a chuck them on ring phase for daily. Wg, yg, rg, silver, doesn't matter.

When I get the urge to wear a collar or statement bracelet etc I just go back to simple bands.