Do you find that your jewelry style goes through different “phases”?What phase are you in right now?

Whoa I am so impressed! So did you have a bunch of diamonds from various pieces that just happen to all work out into that “alhambra” shape? Just awesome! the ring is a quad floral? Really neat. Thank you for posting.

Yes! I had diamond studs that I never wore because they were completely hidden by my hair. Plus, I had a bunch of smaller diamonds from various necklaces, bracelets and rings and I showed him my vca pendant and said I want something that will match this necklace. He melted the gold, used the diamonds and made something for me. I have a picture of both the earrings and necklace together than I can post! The ring is currently getting sized - lol - I may need a matching bracelet..... ;)

Reactions: USCGirlie and ulla
Growing up, we were robbed and they stole all of my jewellery so I had to start my collection from scratch. It started with lots and lots of costume jewellery, as that was all I was able to afford as a student. Chandelier earrings, layered necklaces, etc. Eventually I got rid of them and moved on to more serious jewellery. For my 21st, I was given a lot of 18k jewellery from different relatives whilst holidaying overseas.

Fast forward to now, and I have a very curated capsule collection. I love each and every piece!

Earrings: I only wear my Cartier platinum and diamond studs and don't plan to buy another pair (for my lower lobes).

Bracelets & Rings (all 18k gold):
IMG_9567.jpg

Pendants/Necklaces (first two are sterling silver and the rest are 18k gold):
IMG_9568.jpg
My biggest weakness are necklaces. First two are Tiffany silver necklaces (Elsa Peretti Two Carat pendant and HardWear 8mm ball pendant) which I have the option to wear alone or stacked when I travel or go somewhere where I don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention, middle pendant is a floating diamond "shooting star" pendant in 18k WG, the fourth is a Cartier YG and diamond pendant (don't know the name) and the last is a VCA Vintage Alhambra in Onyx (my daily pendant). I will pick up a 0.40ct diamond solitaire pendant in 18k WG in December to finish off my necklace collection of 2 x silver, 2x 18k WG and 2 x 18k YG. This will also conclude my jewellery collection! I also wanted to have two of each precious metal so I could layer if I feel like it. I felt guilty selling my jewellery given to me for my 21st to contribute towards this solitaire pendant, but I will always look at it and think of my 21st and my family.

I also have costume jewellery that I acquired during my travels:

- Seattle: Hermes Clic H PM in dark navy with GHW
- FSH Paris: Hermes Kelly Double Tour in black box with GHW
- Vancouver: Dior choker in black grosgrain with antique gold "DIOR" font

Apart from that, I prefer to have a small collection as jewellery has no real value other than sentimental and it's easy to hide and/or pack safely.

In my teen years I wore a lot of silver and colored gems, especially necklaces and earrings. I hated yellow gold with a passion.

In my early 20s, I stopped wearing jewelry all together. It was a very tough time for me, and looking back I can see I was not at all myself.

When I finally pulled myself out of those difficulties, I bought diamonds in yellow gold. They were unbranded, from India. Truly beautiful pieces I still have. I get very sentimental over them. They were my first real, good quality diamonds. My "engagement" ring that I never had before (we got married without rings since we were 18 with no money), came from that period of my life, and I still wear it as my wedding ring.

I went through a pearl phase, and I felt uncomfortable wearing pearls. It's like I was wearing a really silly costume. They did not suit me.

And now in the past few years, I'm in my early 30s today, I find myself buying more branded jewelry. I used to be against brands, because I was always told it was a waste of money and you can get the same elsewhere.

The unbranded jewelry i have is very good quality, and exceptionally made but V&A took it to a new level for me with their craftsmanship and the art that goes into the pieces. I fell in love with their jewelry. I also really like being able to go there and get something fixed.

With jewelry that is high quality and unbranded, I have run into a lot of dishonest jewelers that will offer to fix any loose prongs etc. while trying to remove the stones.

I used to mix jewelry or wear more. I've become more minimalistic, I wear one piece of jewelry a day, usually its a ring so I can see it. I used to wear hoop earrings everyday, but I have stopped wearing earrings all together unless its a fancy occasion.

Oh dear, I've always liked the same stuff, it was just a case of waiting until I could get my hands on it.. In terms I like varied things anyway, sometimes delicate and fine and sometimes really strong statement pieces. I don't mind fashion, silver or fine, it's all a matter of what suits the piece and style. I am more worried about wearing antique jewellery these days because I know how difficult some things are to repair but basically I'm the same person I always was. Perhaps I wear things differently but they're basically the same items from the same eras and styles I always liked.

Absolutely stunning! The earrings have beautiful presence and they are a lovely match to your pendant.

Thank you so much! They compliment the pendant perfectly but they are not too "matchy"

Just love the whole look! Your jeweler is talented and creative. Can’t wait to see the whole ensemble. I love that you upcycled unused jewelry. So green!
P.s. This is a great photo (even though you blacked out your face)..the colors, composition etc.

Thank you for the kind words!! I give credit to my husband who took the picture. I love my old but new earrings! The jeweler was even surprised by how well they turned out -- LOL. I went through a phase where I donated a bunch of clothes to goodwill and sent some to thredup (not recommended) and sold a couple of bags so it was only natural that jewelry would come next. It all worked out. It has fired up a newfound passion for nice jewelry.

Oh dear, I've always liked the same stuff, it was just a case of waiting until I could get my hands on it.. In terms I like varied things anyway, sometimes delicate and fine and sometimes really strong statement pieces. I don't mind fashion, silver or fine, it's all a matter of what suits the piece and style. I am more worried about wearing antique jewellery these days because I know how difficult some things are to repair but basically I'm the same person I always was. Perhaps I wear things differently but they're basically the same items from the same eras and styles I always liked.

I love how you stay true to yourself paper tiger! You have an amazingly well-curated collection of bags, coats, and shoe so it's no surprise that jewelry also falls into the mix. I have great admiration for those who know what they like and stick with it!

My jewellery tastes have stayed consistently the same. Always liked good quality gold classic looking styles that can age with me. I have mostly non-branded. Some branded too. I’ve been the same since I was a kid. Just always drawn to “plain” things that are versatile.

Reactions: papertiger
I love how you stay true to yourself paper tiger! You have an amazingly well-curated collection of bags, coats, and shoe so it's no surprise that jewelry also falls into the mix. I have great admiration for those who know what they like and stick with it!

That's so sweet of you to say. XXX

Reactions: jyyanks
I have always loved pears & diamonds & I have always preferred classics. I have always bought well made jewelry in gold & silver. I do have some trendy pieces that I wear when I'm feeling mischievous:graucho: and I do have quite a few pieces of NA jewelry. I have found that as I get older, my jewelry becomes larger & more expensive. I recently had a custom statement necklace made of SS pearls, GSS pearls, rice pearls, & Edison pearls with the focal point an octopus with a very large SS pearl as his head. I have always loved Octopi so this was right up my alley. I've never been much for minimalist jewelry since it doesn't show up well on me. I like stand out pieces & always have. I do like antique jewelry, especially Deco styling.

I see things much like papertiger, and I spent my youth wondering when I would come to love the "classic" pieces I was "supposed to" want. But I have loved the same things all the way through. So I have finally begun purchasing the pieces I want. I just recently invested in a small, crowned skull pendant with ruby eyes in 18K gold, for example. It is the same thing I loved in my 20's, but couldn't afford and thought was a "phase" I would outgrow.

And I have to agree with Oliver regarding writing instruments. I have always loved embellished pens, but have more recently come to appreciate the actual writing instrument as opposed to the embellished metal cylinder it was in. I am still new to higher-end writing tools, so I am still exploring.

I see things much like papertiger, and I spent my youth wondering when I would come to love the "classic" pieces I was "supposed to" want. But I have loved the same things all the way through. So I have finally begun purchasing the pieces I want. I just recently invested in a small, crowned skull pendant with ruby eyes in 18K gold, for example. It is the same thing I loved in my 20's, but couldn't afford and thought was a "phase" I would outgrow.

And I have to agree with Oliver regarding writing instruments. I have always loved embellished pens, but have more recently come to appreciate the actual writing instrument as opposed to the embellished metal cylinder it was in. I am still new to higher-end writing tools, so I am still exploring.

Nice! I have an affinity for skulls too. I have my eye on a necklace with a skull in oxidized silver... I can’t decide what stone I want for his eyes, but I’m leaning towards emeralds.

Reactions: papertiger
I used to wear some boho pieces and a lot of Tiffany and pandora
Now i am into yurman and daintier pieces, rocking multiple piercings in my ears again
Question becomes what to do with the stuff we no longer wear