Do you ever feel guilty for the amount you spend?

I think this thread has hit home for me...

I totalled up what I have spent in the past month--it made me sick to my stomach. Granted, I buy with cash (debit card) and I work...but it's still a lot of money when you get down to the dollars and cents of the issue. So I have decided that I am going to donate .50 on the dollar of my total purchases for the month to a women's shelter in my area.

I don't have a big, huge time consuming hobby...bags are it for me...I love them, I care for them...but the world is grander than Coach, and if I have the ways/means to help out--I should.

Maybe, I'll take the cash and go to the outlet, buy a bunch of "business bags" and bring them to the women shelter. The one locally helps women who have been domestic abuse victims get back on their feet--it allows for their children to live with them, and sets them up with the tools to get a jump start on life again. Wouldn't a nice business bag be confidence building? I think I am going to get on this...call find out how many women are in residence right now...I'm honestly more excited about this project than buying myself anything....

^its a good idea, you could also go through your closet and see if there is anything you don't really use, haven't used in forever, and do not see yourself using, and donate it to the salvation army/a local homeless shelter. that's what i do!

i am always hesitant in giving money, i rather give material/edible things..even if that means taking the money i would have given and buying food..

I do not.. Life is to short to feel guilty about buying something a truly love and use often. My collection is large and I am not buying as much but it is mostly because it is right where I want it to be so that I can use and enjoy it..

Yes my money can go to other things but I give quite a bit to charity, do charity work, my bills are paid, my DD has a paid in full college fund (and she is only 5). My family does not want for anything because of my bags so NO way should I feel bad..

PS: IF I Feeling Guilty or Bad about my collection I would just sell the off. It would not be worth having. I buy bags because I love and enjoy the not to feel guilty..

Do I feel guilty, no for the most part I don't. I am a stay at home mom of 3 who puts my kids and husband first then I think of myself and my needs. I rarely indulge in anything for myself (other then coach). I got my first one in May 09, I felt like I needed something nice for me. Since then my collection has grown to 15 bags, they were all bought at the outlet with coupons. My husband is the one who suggests we go to the outlet (OK sometimes I leave a printed copy of the 20% email on his desk). My husband says he likes to take me there to see the goofy smile I get when I buy a bag.
A small part of me does feel guiltyand non deserving when I see all my bags and I think of all the other things I could of done with that money, but then I think I am a great wife and a great mother I why don't I deserve something nice for me!

I feel guilty sometimes, but not all the time. When I used my credit card for a couple of bags I really felt guilty so I don't plan on doing that again. I think it's like anything, when done in moderation it's fine. It's when it affects you and your family's personal well-being when it's a problem. Lately, I have looked at it like this... my son and my husband certainly never feel guilty for spending $60 on a video game, why should I feel guilty about saving up for what I want? (And I just want to add that my husband has never said anything negative about my spending. He actually gets a little excited for me when I bring something new home LOL!) The more I think about it, you know, men collect all kinds of things that aren't cheap... cars, motorcycles, guns, computer stuff, watches, video game stuff, DVD's, etc. I doubt if they ever feel guilty about it.

I know how you feel. I don't buy Coach or any other designer bags that often so when I get the chance I tend to second guess myself. I think about what else I could buy with the money but then I get over it quickly. lol

being a young (although not single) mom and university student (still waiting for her OSAP) i felt extremely guilty over the last couple of months.

november = op art chainlink maggie (6th anni gift)
december = op art gramercy agenda (xmas gift)
january = madison small wallet in chainlink print
february = madison op art sateen mini skinny (upcoming vday gift)

the first two were presents and with BF's hard-earned money and part of the $500+ got for xmas - but even so, i carry so much guilt and it doesn't make sense because i love each item.

then again, i've always been this way. ever since i had my son nearly four years ago, any time i would spend on me, i had trouble coping with it. whipping out the card or cash to spend on my son, my BF, or anyone else for that matter, was never a burden - just on me. but i've come to look at it like my close ones do: it's not every day that i am spoiled or get to spoil myself with expensive purchases as these. that bag in november? it's my first. over the years, i've collected accessories but never had the courage to take the leap into buying a bag. then, after waiting for my son to get a little older (i had him my final year of high school at 18) and finally applying, i got into university and was convinced i had the right to celebrate.

i still feel a tinge of guilt every now and then, but so long as none of it is going to waste, i know i made a good choice. because just like my son's big ass "thomas the train set" is for him, and my BF's ps3 is for him, coach is for me :smile:

Yes, sometimes I spend way too much. But, I work hard and bring home a pretty nice salary, the bills are always paid, and my family has been provided for well. I figure I deserve my "hobby". If I ever have a twinge of guilt I just push it away. Life is too short for regrets and I try not to allow guilt into my world.

Yes.

And, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to Coach.
I only buy at the outlet, when it's 50% off the reduced price and typically only when there's a 20% coupon too!

My collection is miniscule compared to others' here.
I have 12 bags, including a few swingpacks.
I paid full price for 1 bag.
The rest I've paid about $100, tops.
Still, I feel guilty.
A gal doesn't need 12 Coach bags...some women would be thrilled with one!

I always wonder to myself why I feel "entitled" to new/more bags.

I justify it by not spending a ton on clothes.
I'm petite and fluffy, so clothes shopping ain't too fun!
But Coach shopping is, lol!

I get you on the fluffy shopping... I feel guilty too.

I do feel guilty. I didn't at first - I'd always wanted a Coach bag, and I truly love my sweet Sabrina. And even after the glam tote I didn't feel guilty, because it was my Christmas present and I got her at a good price.

However, I feel fairly guilty about my Madison Carryall and my Hailey! That's $700 in baggage right there, all in one shipment. However, I truly do LOVE them, and now I feel my collection is complete for a while. I feel like each of my bags has a purpose, and while of COURSE I would like to buy more, I'm not going to.

I have $1200 in Coach bags (not including my fobs and accessories) and yeah, that's kind of excessive. But even seeing what I had to pay on my CC (I pay the whole balance every month) didn't make me feel like I should return anything. I deserve them, after 9 years of being a SAHM of 3 boys & putting them first always, now I work, and it's time to do things for myself for a change!

I don't get my nails done, or tan, or buy expensive shoes or clothes. We don't take expensive vacations, and our cars are paid for. I do spend a lot on my hair. Hair and bags. It's not too bad!

ALWAYS. i'm a chronic returner and seller. i used to have a $2500 makeup collection (most of it un-used!!) and sold almost all of it so i'm down to around $600 ish and now it's all going to coach! i have a very modest collection - 1 sabrina, 1 MFF bag that i LOVE, two wristlets, 1 change purse, 1 mini skinny and 1 wallet (eek i feel guilty typing that out!) and all of it was even factory but i'm constantly selling my old and getting new. i've had a leather soho bag, signature soho, patent sabrina, medium carly, and large carly, and a leather wristlet that are now all gone and 1 bag listed right now for sale! i'm bad. always trying to sell my goodies to get new goodies.

No guilt about my Coach collection. :cool: I work full-time and go to night school part-time and am just very happy to have such a great Coach collection. I carry and enjoy them everyday.

I dont know, I dont have guilt really, since we can afford it. I have a few bags with tags on them, that for a fleeting moment i say, oh its going back, but DH stops me. He did green light a Chanel for me, but THAT I am having trouble buying...2-3K would cause guilt hahaha

I think this thread has hit home for me...

I totalled up what I have spent in the past month--it made me sick to my stomach. Granted, I buy with cash (debit card) and I work...but it's still a lot of money when you get down to the dollars and cents of the issue. So I have decided that I am going to donate .50 on the dollar of my total purchases for the month to a women's shelter in my area.

I don't have a big, huge time consuming hobby...bags are it for me...I love them, I care for them...but the world is grander than Coach, and if I have the ways/means to help out--I should.

Maybe, I'll take the cash and go to the outlet, buy a bunch of "business bags" and bring them to the women shelter. The one locally helps women who have been domestic abuse victims get back on their feet--it allows for their children to live with them, and sets them up with the tools to get a jump start on life again. Wouldn't a nice business bag be confidence building? I think I am going to get on this...call find out how many women are in residence right now...I'm honestly more excited about this project than buying myself anything....

that is an amazing idea! you are so big hearted!

i did when i started, but now i am not because i know i work hard by being a stay at home mom, being a wife and going to college. I save us money by staying home day care can be expensive out here so, if i see something i like i might buy it...

if we have the money and the bills are paid and as long as ds has all that he needs then i think of myself. Sometimes we don't give ourself enough credit as mothers and wives. I always put my family first then myself, DH doesn't mind it either sometimes he enables me especially on holidays. :smile: And I enable him to get what he wants also, i don't stop him from buying ps3 games, tools, etc lol...just enjoy life, it's too short to being having guilt...