Do you buy LV only because you can't afford Hermes?

ugh no. I have alot of bags, if I wanted I would have gotten many birkins. My friends always love to remind me that i should have gotten birkins. For me, since I am still in my mid 20s, i have plenty of time to get hermes. Honestly not fan of the birkin, more of a kelly person but the chains on the kelly bothers me. My best friend has one and i see her struggle. Maybe I will get it when I am in my 40s when my taste change. Right now I am enjoying other brands esp fendi, lv and even chanel. As far as other hermes bags, not a fan of them except Constance which is euqally hard to get. Also not buying into the relationship, here is the bag part but you don't have much choice. I rather pay 10k more and buy the bag i ACTUALLY WANT. Lv and other brands have more selections , their bags are more fun and yes price is alot cheaper so you don't have to worry about , " omg I spend 20k but I never use this bag that often"

I have friends who get birkin simply for status reason, if you really care, there are so many ways you can do this, real esate, cars lol and even jewleries. Honestly the question is really dumb. You should get the bag YOU LOVE not what others think. If birkin is truly a bag you love, then save until it is time. No point to get lv and not loving it lol...

Last edited:
Many posters on this forum say "someday a Birkin". Do you look upon LV as being ONE STEP DOWN from Hermes, in quality etc.

:confused1:

LOL!!!

To answer the OP's question: No. Not at all. I find LV's handbags beautiful with lots of personality and design.

I love LV and I don't think it is a step down from Hermés. LV has a historical heritage dating back from 1854 and was hired by Empress of France, Spanish countess Eugenie de Montijo, to be her personal box maker and trunk packer. LV trunks were made for an Empress, this is the prestige that LV can boast. LV specialized in travel goods (i.e. steamer trunks) and introduced the Steamer Bag in 1901 to put inside steamer trunks.

Moreover, LV's bags, trunks, and SLGs today are still true to its heritage.

Hermés was originally a harness maker dedicated to manufacturing harnesses for nobles' horses. It wasn't until 1922 that they started to make handbags. I would say Hermés scarves are my favorite product.

So no, I don't think LV is below Hermés, particularly when speaking about bags. There are LV bags that cost just as much as a bag by Hermés.

With respect to OP my direct answer is No. I buy items I like based on quality, craftsmanship, design and functionality. I love Hermès handbags as much as I love my LVs canvas SLG. If LV makes great pieces in Taurillon leather I’d buy them too.

And somehow I feel such question is only asked when buying luxury item is associated with the social status rather than the items themselves.. Personally I believe majority of purse lovers buy what please us, and not giving a d about others. Just my 2c

I have to say, I have yet to see a Hermes in my part of town (oh, take it back, saw a woman wears a light color birkin at Rack!! Seriously, wears a brand new looking birkin to shop at Rack? oh, and saw another young girl wears a black Hermes crossbody one at Rack too! :P ),

Anyway, I think it would be very silly to wear one around when nobody wears it (other than at Rack) LOL, otherwise I would buy one, say 30 in black or dark blue with gold / silver hardware. When last time I was visiting a city in Asia, wow, so many birkins around!!

Money is a factor. I think LV is the best value for the money among all designer brands. Hermes are fabulous, but for that price and the ridiculous purchasing process on top of it, you are really paying a lot for Status. I am just an average person so no status to show, hence no need to pay high premium on status symbol.

Reactions: blktauna
i own two barking at the moment and i don't use them as much as my LV because I am always afraid to scratch them or stain them... nevertheless i fell free to carry my LV, ven the vachetta handles ones... because they are lightweight , strong, easy to clean... i really prefer to invest my money now in LV ...and use and enjoy my bags

don't people interested in lux goodies tend to buy both? or between the top 3 brands? it's funny how the assumption about Hermes is that you will only own a Birkin/Kelly. I have 4 Hermes bags and not one is a Birkin/Kelly, and not one says Hermes on the outside. they make lovely, very affordable, shoulder bags that are sometimes way cheaper than LV stuff. you'd never even know my bags were Hermes because they hide the logo inside the bag and don't have the belt plates

LOL!!!

To answer the OP's question: No. Not at all. I find LV's handbags beautiful with lots of personality and design.

I love LV and I don't think it is a step down from Hermés. LV has a historical heritage dating back from 1854 and was hired by Empress of France, Spanish countess Eugenie de Montijo, to be her personal box maker and trunk packer. LV trunks were made for an Empress, this is the prestige that LV can boast. LV specialized in travel goods (i.e. steamer trunks) and introduced the Steamer Bag in 1901 to put inside steamer trunks.

Moreover, LV's bags, trunks, and SLGs today are still true to its heritage.

Hermés was originally a harness maker dedicated to manufacturing harnesses for nobles' horses. It wasn't until 1922 that they started to make handbags. I would say Hermés scarves are my favorite product.

So no, I don't think LV is below Hermés, particularly when speaking about bags. There are LV bags that cost just as much as a bag by Hermés.

This is exactly pretty much!!

Although I thought a lot about taking the plunge...so many around me state the usual statements why not a Hermes? It's the best right?!

Hubby and I speak on Hermes as their heritage is equestrian and their bags do reflect this...he thinks it's just so geared toward the higher end market and that's not a good thing and I agree...

LV is travel and part of everyday to me..it caters to all and it's just a good everyday bag..

They have everything for every occasion and it has a history second to none!!

I love LV and their sales team as well...9 years strong and except for a hiatus for a year..lol..it has been my go to...and continues to be~~^^

Reactions: pearlsnjeans
don't people interested in lux goodies tend to buy both? or between the top 3 brands? it's funny how the assumption about Hermes is that you will only own a Birkin/Kelly. I have 4 Hermes bags and not one is a Birkin/Kelly, and not one says Hermes on the outside. they make lovely, very affordable, shoulder bags that are sometimes way cheaper than LV stuff. you'd never even know my bags were Hermes because they hide the logo inside the bag and don't have the belt plates
"Very affordable"? That's the first time I've heard H described that way!:P

I love Hermes colours like air, however I'm not a fan of their bag styles so I tend to go for the slgs. My real Hermes problem is the scarves. I want all of them >.<
My LV is all old, all workhorse and all adored by me. Fantastic stuff that wears like iron while looking good doing it.

Reactions: Prettyn and 1LV