Do you buy a bag because you love it or do you think of functionality?

I usually buy a bag because I love it and then figure out a way to make it work for me! Sometimes though I just have to opt for the functional bag, like right now I need a big shoulder bag for when I travel. I'll probably end up with something that I'm not totally in love with because I'm limited by functionality.

I get things that I love! In a way I'm very "sentimental"/"romantic" with my bags in the sense that they really do have to get me at first sight. haha... You had me at hello!

But on top of that I do consider different factors including variety. I have a huge wishlist ever since joining tPF and so now for me to buy something, it's gotta be better than everything else on my list.. so I have to factor in looks, how it complements my current line-up of bags, seasonality, level of maintenance required, use - ie. everyday/going out, price differentials (lol.. $X more and I could get THAT instead!), functionality in terms of what I don't yet have (ie. I don't yet have a small agenda, but I already do have a key holder), and I guess availability too! That's huge factor... whether if I don't make a move and get it now whether that means I won't be able to get it later...

for me it must be funtional and also durable.....if i buy a bag that i love but not practikal then it will definity end up in the closet for good....

:yes: Me too!! I want a durable bag that can go with any outfit....thats why I only have the Damier line. Or it really wont get any much use.

But the next thing I look at is the style of it. Because for the investment, I try to get a style of bag that will last and is pratical. The speedy and Alma is a prime example of that for me! Beautiful yet practical and wakes up any outfit!!!

It's both, for me. Even if it's love at first sight, if I won't use it, I can't see buying it -- especially if it's expensive like LV, there's an investment factor. I do tend to go for practicality first.

I also try not to get bags that are too similar. For example, I love the Duomo, but I'm still hesitating because it's SO much like the Damier Speedy 25 I already have - and I am keeping the Speedy for wonderful sentimental reasons. I also have the Cerises Speedy in the same size, but the Cerises pattern makes it a completely different bag. I may get an Epi Speedy at some point, and perhaps one in Damier Azur when it comes out. If I find a shape I love and use all the time, I have no problem getting it in other colors/materials.

i usually never buy functional bags! i just recently bought my first lv. when i bought this one, i definantly thought of functionality--that's a-lot of money to spend, not wanting to use it because it's not functional.

I buy a bag for both reasons. I've gotta LOVE it for its looks, shape, what I need it for such as a go with everything classic or a WOW evening/clubbing bag.

I also look at funtionality too...a tote has to have inside pockets for a cell, keys in a way I like pockets to be. If I'm spending a lot on a bag it better have some versatility too.

These are the reasons I'm so happy with all of my LVs! :yahoo: They work with just about everything!

I would never buy a bag that I can't use, so saying that, I don't think some of my bags are very functional in terms of being hand held and having all that untreated vachetta which makes them soooo hard to keep looking nice and clean. I would prefer it if LV made bags with a darker coated leather that doesn't mark as easy and more bags that can be worn on the shoulder. Not that this stops me wanting more and more LV though!:lol:

Love at first sight is easy when it comes to LV :graucho: - But I wont buy a bag unless it is functional for me. I love rotating my bags and they all have to work for me. I simply cant fathom spending that much money on a bag that wont be able to come off the shelf that often. Right now I am focusing on getting all the different styles that I have my eye on before I start duplicating shapes. But thats just me. :upsidedown: