Do I Need to Have a Higher End LV?

I don't really think there is a hierarchy to be honest. I've been buying LV since the mid-1970s and probably my favorite bag of all time (other than my new Trevi) is my mono speedy. Classic, quintessential LV - and the same one that Audrey Hepburn carried. It's not the most expensive, but it is lovely and goes with everything and can be dressed up or down, and is always just a gorgeous choice. I've replaced it a few times over the years, and my current one has been to the spa twice for new handles and chads (where the handles attach).

You know, a lot of LV bags are honestly overpriced for what you get, and are so trendy that within a year or two, you wouldn't want to carry them. I think some of the LE bags kind of fit that category. It's almost as if LV is trying to cater to a different clientele (what we used to honestly call nouveau riche) and are pricing their items accordingly. It doesn't always mean that it translates into a classy bag. It's really important not to get caught up necessarily in the hype of something brand new, trendy and expensive. Look at whether it enhances your look, whether it makes you look more luxurious, classy, and pretty. Ultimately, although we want bags that will last a long time, be beautifully made, it's important not to pick something that might make us the butt of comments or jokes behind our backs that negate the whole essence that draws us to Louis Vuitton over the years - the history, the class, the quality and durability coupled with beauty.

Some of the newer bags, to be honest, skirt the edges of good taste. The way I try to look at it is - if it weren't a Louis Vuitton, would this bag draw me in - would I be proud to wear it, would it enhance my look, or am I being caught up in the hype of the newest and most trendy LV out there? While I realize that I'm 52 and thus probably a little more conservative in my taste, I do have three college age daughters who also have learned the little tip that sometimes less is more. I honestly don't think that spending more money in this instance necessarily translates into better taste. While some of the more expensive bags are gorgeous (the Suhali Lockit for instance), some of the really expensive ones are kind of garish. They just aren't something that would really enhance anyone's presence and look. Some of the newer bags aren't made well too - again, catering to a clientele who perhaps want a big, loud expanse of logo, but at a lower cost, while losing out on the beautiful vachetta, trim, and hardware that made Louis Vuitton famous and that make your bag wear well over the years. Some of the flashier trim (great big plates and the like) which don't wear well over time and which tend to scream out a tad, again negate the understated elegance the brand was known for.

While I do understand everyone has different tastes and clearly the new, loud designs have an appeal or they wouldn't be doing as well as they are, don't be afraid to let your own style show through and enhance it with a beautifully made, classy and perhaps slightly understated bag so that your own beauty comes to the forefront and you aren't eclipsed by your accessories. There's a fine line between being fashionable and hip, and possibly becoming a parody which it's always important to be aware of the difference. I think Chanel once said that a woman should be aware of fashion and beauty, but not trends. That she should have her own personal style and then embellish that. That's easy to do with Louis Vuitton, if you don't get caught up in the hype.

Take your time, really think out your purchases. Always ask yourself if you would like the bag if it wasn't LV - if no one knew it was - is this something that you would be proud to wear. Another comment that Chanel made which I found very worthwhile was that a woman must always be aware that today might be the day that she meets with destiny, and that you should always be prepared for that and look pretty. To me personally, that encompasses looking classy, but letting my own style come to the forefront. I try not to let any one accessory overtake my look to the point where there isn't an overall style - where when someone looks at me they are overwhelmed by one accessory that may skirt good taste and bring my look down, rather than enhance it.

Don't be afraid to look at the whole line of LV products. Pick what you love. Some of the enduring, classy and beautiful styles are not the most expensive, but they are the ones that in their own understated class, add the most to someone's look.

You should not feel bad at all... What I dont really recommend is buying the cheapest LV bag out there just so you can say you own an LV bag.. I think you should go for what you really like and NOT settle for the cheapest one out there.... it can get addicting and you settling for the lower end just means you are up to doubling your cost because you will never stop until you really get what your heart truly wanted. just my 2c

I don't really think there is a hierarchy to be honest. I've been buying LV since the mid-1970s and probably my favorite bag of all time (other than my new Trevi) is my mono speedy. Classic, quintessential LV - and the same one that Audrey Hepburn carried. It's not the most expensive, but it is lovely and goes with everything and can be dressed up or down, and is always just a gorgeous choice. I've replaced it a few times over the years, and my current one has been to the spa twice for new handles and chads (where the handles attach).

You know, a lot of LV bags are honestly overpriced for what you get, and are so trendy that within a year or two, you wouldn't want to carry them. I think some of the LE bags kind of fit that category. It's almost as if LV is trying to cater to a different clientele (what we used to honestly call nouveau riche) and are pricing their items accordingly. It doesn't always mean that it translates into a classy bag. It's really important not to get caught up necessarily in the hype of something brand new, trendy and expensive. Look at whether it enhances your look, whether it makes you look more luxurious, classy, and pretty. Ultimately, although we want bags that will last a long time, be beautifully made, it's important not to pick something that might make us the butt of comments or jokes behind our backs that negate the whole essence that draws us to Louis Vuitton over the years - the history, the class, the quality and durability coupled with beauty.

Some of the newer bags, to be honest, skirt the edges of good taste. The way I try to look at it is - if it weren't a Louis Vuitton, would this bag draw me in - would I be proud to wear it, would it enhance my look, or am I being caught up in the hype of the newest and most trendy LV out there? While I realize that I'm 52 and thus probably a little more conservative in my taste, I do have three college age daughters who also have learned the little tip that sometimes less is more. I honestly don't think that spending more money in this instance necessarily translates into better taste. While some of the more expensive bags are gorgeous (the Suhali Lockit for instance), some of the really expensive ones are kind of garish. They just aren't something that would really enhance anyone's presence and look. Some of the newer bags aren't made well too - again, catering to a clientele who perhaps want a big, loud expanse of logo, but at a lower cost, while losing out on the beautiful vachetta, trim, and hardware that made Louis Vuitton famous and that make your bag wear well over the years. Some of the flashier trim (great big plates and the like) which don't wear well over time and which tend to scream out a tad, again negate the understated elegance the brand was known for.

While I do understand everyone has different tastes and clearly the new, loud designs have an appeal or they wouldn't be doing as well as they are, don't be afraid to let your own style show through and enhance it with a beautifully made, classy and perhaps slightly understated bag so that your own beauty comes to the forefront and you aren't eclipsed by your accessories. There's a fine line between being fashionable and hip, and possibly becoming a parody which it's always important to be aware of the difference. I think Chanel once said that a woman should be aware of fashion and beauty, but not trends. That she should have her own personal style and then embellish that. That's easy to do with Louis Vuitton, if you don't get caught up in the hype.

Take your time, really think out your purchases. Always ask yourself if you would like the bag if it wasn't LV - if no one knew it was - is this something that you would be proud to wear. Another comment that Chanel made which I found very worthwhile was that a woman must always be aware that today might be the day that she meets with destiny, and that you should always be prepared for that and look pretty. To me personally, that encompasses looking classy, but letting my own style come to the forefront. I try not to let any one accessory overtake my look to the point where there isn't an overall style - where when someone looks at me they are overwhelmed by one accessory that may skirt good taste and bring my look down, rather than enhance it.

Don't be afraid to look at the whole line of LV products. Pick what you love. Some of the enduring, classy and beautiful styles are not the most expensive, but they are the ones that in their own understated class, add the most to someone's look.

you should have your own thread or I should say LV Blog :biggrin:

This amazing answer just made my day and helped resolve things for me tremendously...thank you so much! This gave me just the insight I needed. I will actually copy this answer for myself for later!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: :ty:

Last edited:
You should not feel bad at all... What I dont really recommend is buying the cheapest LV bag out there just so you can say you own an LV bag.. I think you should go for what you really like and NOT settle for the cheapest one out there.... it can get addicting and you settling for the lower end just means you are up to doubling your cost because you will never stop until you really get what your heart truly wanted. just my 2c

Such a great point! I totally agree. I was thinking this exactly. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

^^Thanks...It's just I know everyone seems to have the NF...:smile: I appreciate it though, feeling better already thanks everyone!
Everyone has it because it's a great bag, so instead of looking at it like ..everybody has it...maybe look at it as your one smart lady to have picked out such a great bag:smile:.
I have a NF and a Speedy now, and a few LE pochettes, and I sold all my other bags. I had some LE bags that that I paid alot of money for but in the end, I love my NF and my new Speedy more than I did that bag, and I paid almost 2 grand for that bag.

Price doesn't determine love:smile: Buy what you love, and what you can afford, that's what it's all about!

Everyone has it because it's a great bag, so instead of looking at it like ..everybody has it...maybe look at it as your one smart lady to have picked out such a great bag:smile:.
I have a NF and a Speedy now, and a few LE pochettes, and I sold all my other bags. I had some LE bags that that I paid alot of money for but in the end, I love my NF and my new Speedy more than I did that bag, and I paid almost 2 grand for that bag.

Price doesn't determine love:smile: Buy what you love, and what you can afford, that's what it's all about!

I agree...that is what I was thinking too! Thank you! When I see them on people I think they look stunning! :biggrin: