Discontinuing black caviar and classic flaps?

Ahhhh no way! I am agreeing with everyone saying its probably going to become less available rather than discontinued altogether, but still feeling a little worried.

I'm so shocked they actually said that its going to be discontinued though... whether they were just trying to make a sale or if they actually think thats true.

The supply seems pretty limited to me, I'm in Vancouver for reference. I only got into Chanel about a year and half ago but I remember only having to wait a week before I could get the hardware I wanted... The last bag I bought, to complete my collection as the quality complaints are freaking me out too much, was the GST with GHW... I thankfully found one with nice leather in August, which was apparently one of the last in Canada at the time. It was older according to series number so must have been sitting around, and they haven't got a new shipment since then says my friend who was trying to buy one at the same time as me. I just called now for her and they still haven't got any, although she could have just missed out on a shipment perhaps.

******** said:
I was just in Ottawa over the long weekend and we called the Montreal boutique for my sister that wants to buy a jumbo black caviar (she was subjected to admiring my red12A jumbo all week and finally caved!)...not only was I surprised to find they had multiple in stock, they were willing to hold one for her till the weekend! Seems much easier to buy one in Canada!

there are many stocks in singapore too...

Ahhhh no way! I am agreeing with everyone saying its probably going to become less available rather than discontinued altogether, but still feeling a little worried.

I'm so shocked they actually said that its going to be discontinued though... whether they were just trying to make a sale or if they actually think thats true.

The supply seems pretty limited to me, I'm in Vancouver for reference. I only got into Chanel about a year and half ago but I remember only having to wait a week before I could get the hardware I wanted... The last bag I bought, to complete my collection as the quality complaints are freaking me out too much, was the GST with GHW... I thankfully found one with nice leather in August, which was apparently one of the last in Canada at the time. It was older according to series number so must have been sitting around, and they haven't got a new shipment since then says my friend who was trying to buy one at the same time as me. I just called now for her and they still haven't got any, although she could have just missed out on a shipment perhaps.

Yes, "shocked" was how I felt too! After reading these posts though, I'm thinking it's just because I live in NYC, and the demand is probably really high here, so there's more competition for the classics, and that's why it's so hard to get a hold of one. I really doubted, and still doubt, that they'll get rid of the black caviar and flaps. I'm glad no one else heard this 'rumor'!

I'm not sure if this was addressed in any other threads, but has anyone else heard that Chanel will discontinue its black caviar line? I heard this from a SA at Bloomies yesterday, and I kind of don't believe it. I think they just said that to me so I would buy something that is not black caviar (they didn't have any black caviar flaps in stock). I mean, I see plenty of black caviar reveals on this forum so I think there MUST still be some black caviar out there! They told me that caviar will be replaced with a different kind of material that is similar to the caviar. Has anyone else heard/seen this?

A different SA told me that they are going to stop making some of the classic flaps, in black lambskin and caviar. Again, I think they were just telling me this because I wanted to buy only a classic Chanel purse (it would be my first Chanel), and they didn't have any in stock. They were trying to get me to buy something with rhinestones or in colorful patent leather. I mean, they were nice purses but it would be too much money for me personally to spend on a seasonal purse.

Should I give up on finding my dream black caviar mini flap??
Can't imagine that's true. It's their bread and butter, I would think.

I'm not sure if this was addressed in any other threads, but has anyone else heard that Chanel will discontinue its black caviar line? I heard this from a SA at Bloomies yesterday, and I kind of don't believe it. I think they just said that to me so I would buy something that is not black caviar (they didn't have any black caviar flaps in stock). I mean, I see plenty of black caviar reveals on this forum so I think there MUST still be some black caviar out there! They told me that caviar will be replaced with a different kind of material that is similar to the caviar. Has anyone else heard/seen this?

A different SA told me that they are going to stop making some of the classic flaps, in black lambskin and caviar. Again, I think they were just telling me this because I wanted to buy only a classic Chanel purse (it would be my first Chanel), and they didn't have any in stock. They were trying to get me to buy something with rhinestones or in colorful patent leather. I mean, they were nice purses but it would be too much money for me personally to spend on a seasonal purse.

Should I give up on finding my dream black caviar mini flap??

I have not heard this and I don't think it is accurate information. What I have heard is that Chanel is holding back on shipment and production of all classic flaps...especially to department stores like saks and Bloomingdale's. Some of this is a marketing strategy to create more demand for these rare and less available bags. A buy it now before they are all gone kind of thought. With decreased availability, they also feel more justified in raising the prices. In addition, Chanel considers itself to be a fashion house and they are trying to move the customers into more fashion forward seasonal bags. They reason if the classics are not available, the seasonal ones will sell faster. So I guess the short version of the answer is... no, don't give up on your dream bag as they are not being discontinued... just a bit less available. Try the free standing Chanel boutique as classics are more readily available there. Hope that helps!:smile: