Disappointed in empreinte leather

Thank you, SweetDaisy. I do love the bag style and I did start liking the empreinte. It's the quality control that seems to lack over at LV and it makes me a little sad. The bag I have in my possession currently is the pure luck (I've seen all sorts of defective ones; crooked zippers, unevenly stitched sides, off center bases, etc.) I felt so lucky to come across mine. It took some effort to come across and I say to myself: Seriously? Did it really need to have this embossing tiny flaw after everything I went through to get it? I'll probably end up keeping it. Because there's no other bag style, no other brand suits my needs like this one. But I'm not happy that I "have" to keep it, because most likely there's no better one out there. And I don't think it's reasonable to be hunting the perfect one down, there are more important things in life. Ahhh LV, LV, wish you'd be more thorough.

I think it's actually nearly impossible to get one that isn't uniformly embossed because they literally use a press machine that pushes a uniform piece of leather against a flat metal plate, with extruding monogram presses that push the embossing in and leaving the rest of the leather intact. I found this out by watching an LV video called The Making of Emprinte bags or something of the sort on YouTube, so maybe you just received an off bag? I'd go to the store and see if there was one with a uniform embossing.

EDIT: Silly me, I didn't read through the entire thread before replying. Congrats on finding your perfect bag!!!

I think it's actually nearly impossible to get one that isn't uniformly embossed because they literally use a press machine that pushes a uniform piece of leather against a flat metal plate, with extruding monogram presses that push the embossing in and leaving the rest of the leather intact. I found this out by watching an LV video called The Making of Emprinte bags or something of the sort on YouTube, so maybe you just received an off bag? I'd go to the store and see if there was one with a uniform embossing.

EDIT: Silly me, I didn't read through the entire thread before replying. Congrats on finding your perfect bag!!!

Thank you, lvmk. No worries :smile: hehe

I also watched the video on YouTube that you're talking about. Even though they press it and it should be uniform, I think natural grain, thickness etc. variations in leather may alter the output of the embossing. Think of it this way, the skin on the inner side of your arm is softer and more tender, while the skin on the elbow, for instance, is thicker and more rugged. Now think of scratching your skin in these two different places, which one will react more? The more tender part of the skin, of course. Anyway, I'm not a leather expert but that's my thinking at least. It seems totally logical.

Reactions: hja
To be honest, I think it is fine with many people. I have noticed you in somewhere about your picky...It is just a bag, and it is a man-made piece. Every bag has its own characters. Please respect the effort of the craftsaman. You can not expect everything is perfect without any defect, just like nobody is perfect in the world. Hope you will be more relax and do not be too picky on the bag, just adore and use it everyday. That's it! Otherwise you will always feel disappointed in your life, life is short and there is meaningless to waste time on such small thing. :smile:

To be honest, I think it is fine with many people. I have noticed you in somewhere about your picky...It is just a bag, and it is a man-made piece. Every bag has its own characters. Please respect the effort of the craftsaman. You can not expect everything is perfect without any defect, just like nobody is perfect in the world. Hope you will be more relax and do not be too picky on the bag, just adore and use it everyday. That's it! Otherwise you will always feel disappointed in your life, life is short and there is meaningless to waste time on such small thing. :smile:

Whoa! Thank you for your honesty, jackie6. You probably meant well saying this, but it just came out kind of...

It is fine with many people probably. And I bet it isn't Ok with some. It is also a matter of personal preference, please respect that. We are all different, and our levels of preferences vary. I can overlook and ignore some things in a bag craftsmanship, but not others.

P.S. Perhaps I misinterpreted, but I sensed judgement in your post. TPF is a place where people with same passions come together and exchange their experiences, positive or negative. Some people might also prefer to learn from "adventures" of others. And those that don't care simply dismiss them.

Last edited:
Empreinte is by far my fav LV leather. Well I am not a picky person as far as purses go, but I did check my Speedy 25 and Lumineuses, they are okay. Not to mention the leather breaks in nicely, with the desired softness.

Thank you, jackbnip!! I do love this one very, very much! :smile:

Hi. May I know...does the more grainy it is...the deeper the embossed is? Or is it about the thickness of the leather? I have read somewhere...the less grainy n pebbled...the better it looks. Hope u can advice on this.

And Congrats on finding the perfect one!!

Last edited:
Hi Dawn, sure, here it is below.
It's the same side of the bag, the left part is Ok, but the right part (look at top right corner especially) the imprint is much lighter. Probably due to the grain of the leather it didn't want to give in to the embossing.
View attachment 2896636
View attachment 2896637

Am I making a bigger deal out of it than it is? Is this normal?

I don't think you're making a big deal out of it coz you pay a lot of money for this bag and you're allowed to have requirements on the quality. I saw that my friends Montaigne BB in Dahlia also has those lighter imprints especially around the corners of the handbag. I can't tell if it's normal or not but since it's an embossment it will differ and many it'll get a little fade out?

Update and a happy ending:

Thank you everyone for your input! You are so wonderful and helpful, I couldn't have done it without you, guys! :tup: :hugs:

I looked for a possible exchange once with no luck. I thought I settled, but then decided to look again. And again, no luck. Few days have passed and I decided to look one last time, before calling it quits. And I ended up finding a bag with a texture and embossing I prefer. I am really happy! I absolutely LVoe it! :loveeyes: :heart: :love:
So happy you found the bag you love! The Montaigne is such a gorgeous bag, and you're right to want yours to be perfect. Congrats and enjoy your beautiful bag!

Last edited:
Hi. May I know...does the more grainy it is...the deeper the embossed is? Or is it about the thickness of the leather? I have read somewhere...the less grainy n pebbled...the better it looks. Hope u can advice on this.

And Congrats on finding the perfect one!!

From what I saw in real life and in photos online, more grainy or less grainy does not affect the embossing. I've seen some grainy ones that had good embossing. I think it depends purely on the leather, how much it gives in to the embossing or not.

And yes, I do prefer the less grainy or pebbly look of empreinte leather. When there's less grain, it looks smoother and therefore more luxurious to me. But again, it's my personal opinion.

I don't think you're making a big deal out of it coz you pay a lot of money for this bag and you're allowed to have requirements on the quality. I saw that my friends Montaigne BB in Dahlia also has those lighter imprints especially around the corners of the handbag. I can't tell if it's normal or not but since it's an embossment it will differ and many it'll get a little fade out?

Thank you, Sally. Yes, in the end I was happy that I didn't settle. I don't know why the embossing varies, but it does. So we just have to be careful and pay attention to all these things when we shop for our bags. Hope you friend's Montaigne is Ok.

So happy you found the bag you love! The Montaigne is such a gorgeous bag, and you're right to want yours to be perfect. Congrats and enjoy your beautiful bag!

Thank you, Havanese. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so as long as the girl finds a bag that looks perfect to her, then it'll all that matters. :smile: Thanks again! :flowers: