Dilemma Choosing My 1st Lady Dior

Fendilover5

Jun 12, 2014
Hello Dior lovers, I’m having a hard time choosing my First Lady Dior bag. I don’t have any medium bags and definitely need a black and have been loving pics of the matte black Lady Dior but I’m very scared of the matte leather and heard about chipping of the matte hardware. The gunmetal one stole my heart when I first saw it, but my SA sent me pics of the new rose gold hardware limited edition Summer 2020 light gold leather bag and it’s gorgeous. I’m not sure what leather this is and if it’s fragile? Also I’m more casual but can see myself styling these? Which one would you choose? Any tips and recommendations appreciated.

Attachments

• 093718B2-2645-4858-A7EB-F4F719E5CAD7.jpeg
    093718B2-2645-4858-A7EB-F4F719E5CAD7.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 1C8E2A05-16B3-4C3F-93FD-66239111CDB2.jpeg
    1C8E2A05-16B3-4C3F-93FD-66239111CDB2.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 6F2CE4B5-B490-4687-944B-F85D906AF575.jpeg
    6F2CE4B5-B490-4687-944B-F85D906AF575.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 202
Hello Dior lovers, I’m having a hard time choosing my First Lady Dior bag. I don’t have any medium bags and definitely need a black and have been loving pics of the matte black Lady Dior but I’m very scared of the matte leather and heard about chipping of the matte hardware. The gunmetal one stole my heart when I first saw it, but my SA sent me pics of the new rose gold hardware limited edition Summer 2020 light gold leather bag and it’s gorgeous. I’m not sure what leather this is and if it’s fragile? Also I’m more casual but can see myself styling these? Which one would you choose? Any tips and recommendations appreciated.
I haven't seen that metallic Lady Dior before with rose gold hardware, but based on the appearance, it looks like grained calfskin. It looks very pretty! Like all metallic leathers, though, the metallic finish can dull where it gets in contact with skin due to greases/oils/moisture from the skin. Metallic bags usually show their wear on their handles and straps, as well as areas where the bag rubs clothing the most and where the fingers touch most frequently to open the bag. That being said, if you are careful when you use your bag, and you don't use your bag very often (i.e. you rotate between several bags), then it will look brand new for a very long time.

The ultra matte Lady Dior hardware doesn't chip that easily. There aren't many complaints about that, and if it does chip, Dior can replace the hardware for you. In fact, the matte hardware seems to turn a bit shinier where it ends up "scratching" rather than chipping.

I think all three of the bags you posted can work with your style.

Last edited:
I’m branching out to Dior and thinking about buying a medium Dior. I really like the third picture and that the one I would buy if those were my choices. I think the color is neutral and would go with almost any outfit; casual or dressy. I also like that it is the traditional style with the quilting. My issue has been more of getting a medium with the flap instead of a zipper as I hear it‘s really hard to get things in and out of the bag.

I haven't seen that metallic Lady Dior before with rose gold hardware, but based on the appearance, it looks like grained calfskin. It looks very pretty! Like all metallic leathers, though, the metallic finish can dull where it gets in contact with skin due to greases/oils/moisture from the skin. Metallic bags usually show their wear on their handles and straps, as well as areas where the bag rubs clothing the most and where the fingers touch most frequently to open the bag. That being said, if you are careful when you use your bag, and you don't use your bag very often (i.e. you rotate between several bags), then it will look brand new for a very long time.

The ultra matte Lady Dior hardware doesn't chip that easily. There aren't many complaints about that, and if it does chip, Dior can replace the hardware for you. In fact, the matte hardware seems to turn a bit shinier where it ends up "scratching" rather than chipping.

Thanks AverageJoe

Thanks for your reply. I’m happy to hear that the hardware on the ultra matte is not easy to chip. My head is still telling me that the smart choice is the matte. That’s probably one of the coolest bags I‘ve ever seen. Last time I was in the boutique, many moths ago, I had the chance to feel the leather on the matte and it felt almost like satin so buttery. I guess that scared me as I’m not used to leather feeling this soft and am not sure how I would take care of it.
The rose gold HW one sure is pretty. I really hope it’s grain calf too. It’s really a bummer about metallic leathers that they rub/fade. This bag would be rotated. But still want something I can use and not worry about damaging or keep bringing back to the boutique for maintenance.

I’m branching out to Dior and thinking about buying a medium Dior. I really like the third picture and that the one I would buy if those were my choices. I think the color is neutral and would go with almost any outfit; casual or dressy. I also like that it is the traditional style with the quilting. My issue has been more of getting a medium with the flap instead of a zipper as I hear it‘s really hard to get things in and out of the bag.
That’s what I love about that one too, the classic hardware and quilting, there’s something about Dior quilting that is so yummy. When I first saw this color they only had it in the zipper opening, but this is the new version with flap opening. I’m always drawn to metallics, but afraid of being too flashy for casual wear.

Such a good problem to have ;) I don't own a matte LD but I would pick the matte one (#2) as it's the most classic and versatile one out of the three for me. I own a lambskin classic LD with the zipper opening and I have never regretted it. I think once you have owned a classic LD, you can then branch out and buy more different/seasonal designs like metallic. I would go for metallic or gunmetal in a smaller size, also more casual and easier to carry (that's how I would style it anyway :smile: ).

Such a good problem to have ;) I don't own a matte LD but I would pick the matte one (#2) as it's the most classic and versatile one out of the three for me. I own a lambskin classic LD with the zipper opening and I have never regretted it. I think once you have owned a classic LD, you can then branch out and buy more different/seasonal designs like metallic. I would go for metallic or gunmetal in a smaller size, also more casual and easier to carry (that's how I would style it anyway :smile: ).
It is a good problem to have! This will be a belated birthday gift. I have a couple of Miss Dior lambskin and I love the Dior lamb and quilting so much. Whenever I see someone carrying a classic Lady Dior my heart just skips. I’m leaning more towards the Matte the more I think about it. The rose hardware one truly is unique, but I can already see a crease in the middle of the bag in the pic. I‘m still waiting for the store to open hopefully after I try them on I’ll be able to decide. What color is your Lady Dior?

It is a good problem to have! This will be a belated birthday gift. I have a couple of Miss Dior lambskin and I love the Dior lamb and quilting so much. Whenever I see someone carrying a classic Lady Dior my heart just skips. I’m leaning more towards the Matte the more I think about it. The rose hardware one truly is unique, but I can already see a crease in the middle of the bag in the pic. I‘m still waiting for the store to open hopefully after I try them on I’ll be able to decide. What color is your Lady Dior?
Money's in black, and I consider it a timeless classic that I never regret! I love Dior's grey and nude pink LDs as well!

I love the matte one as well, but I'm a sucker for a matte bag with matte hardware. Plus the strap really makes the bag stand out and be a bit more casual, which fits my personal style best!

Reactions: ggfoodie
I love the matte one as well, but I'm a sucker for a matte bag with matte hardware. Plus the strap really makes the bag stand out and be a bit more casual, which fits my personal style best!
I think the matte will be my best option as well. Love the strap too! Wish it came with the bag...But that’s whole separate purchase that I cannot justify in my head right now. My closest boutique will not open until end of July, way passed the rumored price increase.

All 3 are beauties, but for casual looking outfits and more versatility, I'd go with matte. As averagejoe said, Dior will replace or fix the charms if damaged. I have thumbed up on his comments regarding metallic. I own other metallics and have seen the wear and tear on daily/weekly use.