Did you try to resale your bag?

In that situation as we speak...I've decided to move on. I've been stressing with my decision and think I'll feel better to have this off to a person who will love and wear.
I saw your listing! it's a beauty..I wish I was in a position to take it off your hands! I love buying from members, having my stuff authenticated by members, etc

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Are you comfy selling through eBay? Tbh the tons of scammers on there on both sides totally worry me
No...I'm totally UNCOMFORTABLE selling high priced items on ebay. Most of my higher priced items have been sold to fellow bag lovers I've become friends with or on sites like the real real.
I am trying one on ebay now and will probably take it off soon..It does make me nervous.
Re the real real...you have to carefully check your listing. Despite me telling them official color, skin and year, they are notorious for getting it wrong. And it takes forever for them to list it now a days with Covid. And even longer to correct a mistake.
I'm trying Fashionphile with another bag. While I've purchased from them and have had great results, this will be first time selling to them. I like FP because they offer a buy out for quick sale versus consignment.

All and all to the OP, I would never buy a bag to resell...you are sure to lose money and there is a lot of angst that goes along with it.

No...I'm totally UNCOMFORTABLE selling high priced items on ebay. Most of my higher priced items have been sold to fellow bag lovers I've become friends with or on sites like the real real.
I am trying one on ebay now and will probably take it off soon..It does make me nervous.
Re the real real...you have to carefully check your listing. Despite me telling them official color, skin and year, they are notorious for getting it wrong. And it takes forever for them to list it now a days with Covid. And even longer to correct a mistake.
I'm trying Fashionphile with another bag. While I've purchased from them and have had great results, this will be first time selling to them. I like FP because they offer a buy out for quick sale versus consignment.

All and all to the OP, I would never buy a bag to resell...you are sure to lose money and there is a lot of angst that goes along with it.

You could try VC as well, you list your own item, you keep the item until you sell, then ship to them, I think they have an office in NYC, they authenticate... From what I can see and your description, you could put it as in very good condition, and I don't know what their cut is on the price you are asking, but you see that before you send the listing out, if you sell it somewhere else, you can always pull the listing, plus you can switch offers off. I sold a bag on eBay, not super high end but expensive enough, they did the return request regarding authenticity, shipped back a fake bag, so they got a real one with all the papers, and I couldn't even get PP or eBay to follow up as for them when it shows that something was returned, it's done and dusted, ever since, I just don't want to sell anything with them anymore

You could try VC as well, you list your own item, you keep the item until you sell, then ship to them, I think they have an office in NYC, they authenticate... From what I can see and your description, you could put it as in very good condition, and I don't know what their cut is on the price you are asking, but you see that before you send the listing out, if you sell it somewhere else, you can always pull the listing, plus you can switch offers off. I sold a bag on eBay, not super high end but expensive enough, they did the return request regarding authenticity, shipped back a fake bag, so they got a real one with all the papers, and I couldn't even get PP or eBay to follow up as for them when it shows that something was returned, it's done and dusted, ever since, I just don't want to sell anything with them anymore
YIKES!!! Going to take off ebay right now.

Reactions: 880
YIKES!!! Going to take off ebay right now.

It doesn't mean that it has to happen to you, it could just have been that I had extremely bad luck and the bag didn't even go for all that much, a few hundred, it was just like pulling teeth trying to get them away from the script "Tracking shows it was returned to you" well, what was returned to me wasn't what I sent out... Police here told me to take it to small claims (which takes months) as it isn't considered theft, but then I would need to provide evidence that they switched it, as they could argue they sent the same bag back....

I did after a few months, it didn't work for me and I'm not a collector, want to use my bags. I agree with the guys in the thread- I had a newish bag, barely used with receipt and full set and only manage to get what I paid for (which was fine as wasn't seeking to make a profit) but some offers from resellers were just greedy- wanted to push the price way below the retail to make £5k profit on me (lol).
Everything matters, plastic protectors, zero scratches etc. On marketplaces like Vestiaire there is always a commission (quite hefty).
Possibly if I waited patiently on Vestiaire maybe I'd make a few hundred extra but nothing more. However the bag was K32 and wasn't that desired as B30, B25 or K25

My point I'm trying to figure out if it is an investment or it is just a purchase.
I never sold any bag in my life.
But it is nice to know for people who did to see the real picture.
And my guess it Is Artificial that the second market trades higher than the boutquie sale price and not nesseray true in reality.
I want to hear from people who experienced that. And thank u for sharing your experience. All the responses up to now no premuim
I would say it's a purchase that if you regret or stopped using will bring some value back (unlike contemporary designers or unknown designers). You can treat it also as kind of lease - I'll wear this bag for a few seasons and then get money back (like with cars on PCP).

I have sold a few bags I simply didn't use, often an impulse buy because I had a bad week, the bag totally caught my eye, then worn it once or twice and it didn't feel right, it can happen to people who buy H, because certain models don't really come up very often so they buy the one available even if it isn't the colour they want, but if it is not the colour, leather or hardware you want, I don't think you're going to be happy. I doubt I am in the minority here, but every bag I sold, I made a loss. People are not going to pay you what they pay the shop as they are not getting the full experience they would have in the shop, the wrapping, the treatment, etc. If you sell a bag you do it because you want to get rid of it, so you have to price it accordingly. The majority of my bags are Fendi, Prada, YSL, Tod's, Bottega Veneta, the odd Dior or other brand thrown in, not a snob, if I like a bag I don't care about the brand, usually my bags are black, but trust me, the amount of money I lost on buying the wrong bag, I think that would be a healthy college fund for medical student.
Yes ..always the case. In Hermes we buy what we find ! Buy what's available! This is part of the selling strategy they have. Hard to think and make us think it is not right to say no specially to a birkin kelly or even a Lindy.
Most of the time I never regret buying a bag but I just don't like the pressure of buy immediately.
It is always a pleasure feeling when u get a bag from hermes it is like you achieved something or been lucky this day!

Your H bags ( really any of the handbags )are not an investment. When reselling you are much more likely to lose money. Never buy with the thought you will be able to make your money back on a handbag.
True for any brand!
But what is always said about hermes since it is hard to get with very high demand that when you have one it is an investment and you see some people saying it is better than gold! So I wanted to see in reality from everyones experiences experience if that's true or only what the brand or media what us to think to justify the price and if it is true or not !
Most of the respondents that it doesn't in reality yeild higher

I'm really curious how different stores view resellers.
I have seen posts on social media (snap/instagram) of "personal shoppers" aka resellers taking pictures in the store with the SA helping them showcase different items. It is very clear the person who is taking the pictures is a reseller yet, they SA is there to help out..

It really bothers me that they are allowed to do that when their intentions are as clear as daylight, which in turn, is making the reseller market growing..
Really annoying how the PS are allowed and offered all the options nice colors different sizes etc!
Amd in reality they are not ever the brand client they are just the middle person.
I think the brand should give the special treatment to thier clients and not PS !

Reactions: The.M
True for any brand!
But what is always said about hermes since it is hard to get with very high demand that when you have one it is an investment and you see some people saying it is better than gold! So I wanted to see in reality from everyones experiences experience if that's true or only what the brand or media what us to think to justify the price and if it is true or not !
Most of the respondents that it doesn't in reality yeild higher

If you know somebody who is wanting a brand new bag and you have the chance to buy that particular bag, they don't, then maybe, or you do have it in a colour and leather that is very much in demand, maybe, but in general if you break even, you are lucky!

It works for those people because they have a following who will buy the bag, so they don't have to pay commission to site or a shop.

Last edited: