Did you try to resale your bag?

Mira

O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Hi all

We all believe that some brands are like investment
And hermes is the first on the list! The value of the bag goes up year by year in the boutiques and not only that the bags sold outside the boutiques are all with large premium.
It is very clear that PS who have access to the boutiques and get the bags with add thier premium and sell them on the stop with a higher margin.
But is that the case as well for us! Normal person if we bought a bag from the boutique and want to sell immediately or after year or couple of years.. are we able to sell it with a premium or that is not true! And only artificial in away.
I was wondering if any of you ever tried to sell a bag and were they able to get a premium. ( this question not for P.S. )

Intresting to hear from you.. pls share your experience or thoughts!

Thanks
Mira

If you want your bag to be an investment, you can't ever use it, because the slightest sign of wear will impact the value, some brands like H or Chanel keep their value better than others, but if you want an investment, I think you are better off buying Apple shares, they take up less room, you don't need to look after them, and with bags, the problem will be the colour, who is looking for one and how much do they want to spend on it... They are not as easily turned back into cash as other investments.

I do not buy to resell, but I have tried and continued to try bags that I find in the end just don't work for me. In that case I do sell as I'd rather have something in my closet that I will use. H is going to always be a long learning journey for me.
No I have never gotten a premium. At best a break even but mostly I lose money. I think it's very hard for someone to privately sell and get a profit. I know I would have a hard time buying from a private seller who does not have a lot of positive feedback and especially if there is no return policy.
It is also a lot of effort and risk to sell such an expensive item. There are not only sellers who scam, but buyers who scam. I generally send to a reseller and as I said, lose money on the item. Sometimes I have been able to sell to a fellow bag lover but for a very fair price--I certainly never made money.

Last edited:
The way I view it is, I have a good job. I don't need to make a profit off my bags. I have sold quite a few bags, and once in a while (I think it's happened twice) a new condition or very special bag that just didn't work out for me, but I would never dream of trying to get some huge premium from a fellow bag lover. So no, even with a special bag like a RAC order, I would usually be dealing with a collector and would at most ask for what I paid.

I sold my first ever Birkin to someone who'd been saving for years to get a Birkin. I probably undercharged a little bit. But she cried tears of happiness to have the bag (she actually posted it on YouTube!). I'd rather see that than spend my energy trying to make money off my bags. Most of them go to friends at fair prices that leave everyone feeling happy.

I definitely do NOT think bags are an investment in the sense of creating a positive financial return and as I've said many times here, I think that's an unhealthy way of looking at Hermès. These articles about H being a better investment than gold are bad economics and written to drive activity at resale.

I do not buy to resell, but I have tried and continued to try bags that I find in the end just don't work for me. In that case I do sell as I'd rather have something in my closet that I will use. H is going to always be a long learning journey for me.
No I have never gotten a premium. At best a break even but mostly I lose money. I think it's very hard for someone to privately sell and get a profit. I know I would have a hard time buying from a private seller who does not have a lot of positive feedback and especially if there is no return policy.
It is also a lot of effort and risk to sell such an expensive item. There are not only sellers who scam, but buyers who scam. I generally send to a reseller and as I said, lose money on the item.
This what I thought. In reality no premium for normal persons.

Reactions: RT1
The way I view it is, I have a good job. I don't need to make a profit off my bags. I have sold quite a few bags, and once in a while (I think it's happened twice) a new condition or very special bag that just didn't work out for me, but I would never dream of trying to get some huge premium from a fellow bag lover.
I sold my first ever Birkin to someone who'd been saving for years to get a Birkin. I probably undercharged a little bit. But she cried tears of happiness to have the bag (she actually posted it on YouTube!). I'd rather see that than spend my energy trying to make money off my bags. Most of them go to friends at fair prices that leave everyone feeling happy.

I'm against resaleing personally. And always wonder how come Personal shoppers go away with it! Having all hermes bag in many colors and sell them with premium and they never been blocked! I see couple of them even take pictures inside hermes boutique! Where it is usually not allowed to take pictures of the bags!
They get the chance to view many bags and get many colors options! I guess one reason because of thier unhealthy huge profile they have with the boutique which make them a vip! In reality they put all thier customers purchase under thier names which make it unhealthy profile!

My question is not about what you just mentioned. It is more about do you get a premium really or not! Even for a new not used bag.

Reactions: lolakitten and RT1
The way I view it is, I have a good job. I don't need to make a profit off my bags. I have sold quite a few bags, and once in a while (I think it's happened twice) a new condition or very special bag that just didn't work out for me, but I would never dream of trying to get some huge premium from a fellow bag lover. So no, even with a special bag like a RAC order, I would usually be dealing with a collector and would at most ask for what I paid.

I definitely do NOT think bags are an investment in the sense of creating a positive financial return and as I've said many times here, I think that's an unhealthy way of looking at Hermès. These articles about H being a better investment than gold are bad economics and written to drive activity at resale.

My point I'm trying to figure out if it is an investment or it is just a purchase.
I never sold any bag in my life.
But it is nice to know for people who did to see the real picture.
And my guess it Is Artificial that the second market trades higher than the boutquie sale price and not nesseray true in reality.
I want to hear from people who experienced that. And thank u for sharing your experience. All the responses up to now no premuim

If you want your bag to be an investment, you can't ever use it, because the slightest sign of wear will impact the value, some brands like H or Chanel keep their value better than others, but if you want an investment, I think you are better off buying Apple shares, they take up less room, you don't need to look after them, and with bags, the problem will be the colour, who is looking for one and how much do they want to spend on it... They are not as easily turned back into cash as other investments.
Agreed totally

I can't find it now but there was a recent thread talking about selling new Hermes at a premium. It marks you as a reseller and you risk getting banned from future purchases.

My point I'm trying to figure out if it is an investment or it is just a purchase.
And my guess it Is Artificial that the second market trades higher than the boutquie sale price and not nesseray true in reality.
I want to hear from people who experienced that. And thank u for sharing your experience. All the responses up to now no premuim

I have sold a few bags I simply didn't use, often an impulse buy because I had a bad week, the bag totally caught my eye, then worn it once or twice and it didn't feel right, it can happen to people who buy H, because certain models don't really come up very often so they buy the one available even if it isn't the colour they want, but if it is not the colour, leather or hardware you want, I don't think you're going to be happy. I doubt I am in the minority here, but every bag I sold, I made a loss. People are not going to pay you what they pay the shop as they are not getting the full experience they would have in the shop, the wrapping, the treatment, etc. If you sell a bag you do it because you want to get rid of it, so you have to price it accordingly. The majority of my bags are Fendi, Prada, YSL, Tod's, Bottega Veneta, the odd Dior or other brand thrown in, not a snob, if I like a bag I don't care about the brand, usually my bags are black, but trust me, the amount of money I lost on buying the wrong bag, I think that would be a healthy college fund for medical student.

To be honest, my biggest regret was selling a black Togo Birkin GHW! I only did it because I was offered a SO black Birkin and promised I would get rid of my first black one to get the SO black...
I literally sold it for slightly more than retail but had to give 1/3 of the price to the resale site so yep, never again.

I must say though that I NEVER buy to resell, I Only buy for myself without any other thought.

To be honest, my biggest regret was selling a black Togo Birkin GHW! I only did it because I was offered a SO black Birkin and promised I would get rid of my first black one to get the SO black...
I literally sold it for slightly more than retail but had to give 1/3 of the price to the resale site so yep, never again.

I must say though that I NEVER buy to resell, I Only buy for myself without any other thought.

Just from getting rid of bags I didn't want to use anymore, how much money the company who provides the authentication and all that takes, the hassle, the crazy offers, then the financial loss, taking the pics, measuring, description, it taught me to be much much more careful with my bag purchases. I often rather gifted them to a friend who I knew would love them, because you really only get a fraction back and the time it costs you...

I’ve only ever sold my H bags because they didn’t work for me and I wanted to use the $ to fund another purchase (usually another H bag lol)
I’ve never bought any H bag with the intention of selling it. On the contrary, every H bag I’ve bought has been something I thought I would love and adore, and it usually breaks my heart to let it go, but sometimes my personal fashion fantasies don’t play out for me in real life lol, and while I have a good job that thankfully affords me to make “frivolous” purchases (knock on wood), I really can’t afford to have a closet bursting with bags I don’t use. So if it doesn’t work for me, I try to find it a new loving home.

I'm against resaleing personally. And always wonder how come Personal shoppers go away with it! Having all hermes bag in many colors and sell them with premium and they never been blocked! I see couple of them even take pictures inside hermes boutique! Where it is usually not allowed to take pictures of the bags!
They get the chance to view many bags and get many colors options! I guess one reason because of thier unhealthy huge profile they have with the boutique which make them a vip! In reality they put all thier customers purchase under thier names which make it unhealthy profile!
I’ve been wondering about this lately myself. There’s one in particular that I can think of who is so open about it too, and flipping highly desired bags for a crazy profit, been questioned about it (not by H, buy people I know) and has actually been caught in some possible lies. I really don’t understand how it continues to be honest. Don’t they notice????

Reactions: Mira