Did I get a Minty-fresh Mulberry? sorry, long post!

I don't know how consistent they are with leathers, but last time I went to a store (autumn 2007), the leather on an oak Bayswater was very stiff and the texture quite different compared to some oak Bayswaters I've fondled :smile: If I remember right, there was a black or choco Bayswater made of the softer Darwin, so I was a bit disappointed. The SA just said 'well leathers on bags are never identical'. Duh. And I thought they clone Darwins for the bags :rolleyes:

I don't know how consistent they are with leathers, but last time I went to a store (autumn 2007), the leather on an oak Bayswater was very stiff and the texture quite different compared to some oak Bayswaters I've fondled :smile: If I remember right, there was a black or choco Bayswater made of the softer Darwin, so I was a bit disappointed. The SA just said 'well leathers on bags are never identical'. Duh. And I thought they clone Darwins for the bags :rolleyes:

I'm glad someone else noticed this as I thought I was going mad. The new "natural tanned" Bayswaters in John Lewis looked totally different to the old darwin ones. The leather seemed thinner than the darwin used in my Emmy and Elgin.

I wouldn't be surprised if it *is* the same leather but it's been stretched out a bit to make it go further, hence it's thinner (or is that me being a total cynic?!) Next time I go to a department store that stocks Mulberry, I'm going to bring a darwin bag with me so that I can compare.

But I'm really pleased that you've noticed too, MsReya, as I thought I was the only one on here that didn't think the leathers were the same.

Interesting banter about natural and darwin. Funny it seems this 06 Bays' leather is a little thinner than my Roxanne. I guess each cut is different.

Anyone put their Bays neked on a scale?? Curious to compare the dry weight! I've got to run but I'll weigh mine later (the true sign of an anal bag-owner!)

The manager at one the NYC City stores told me when I was looking for a Bays, that the glove leather had the shiney gold hardware and the darwin leather had the brass hardware. There is a diff between the 2 leathers as the glove is not as thick and more supple.

If you look at the photo reference, DCglam's bag is the glove leather (the gorgeous purple) while most of the other Bayswaters are darwin (natural vegetable). Anyway, that's the extent of my knowledge~ hahaha

The manager at one the NYC City stores told me when I was looking for a Bays, that the glove leather had the shiney gold hardware and the darwin leather had the brass hardware. There is a diff between the 2 leathers as the glove is not as thick and more supple.

If you look at the photo reference, DCglam's bag is the glove leather (the gorgeous purple) while most of the other Bayswaters are darwin (natural vegetable). Anyway, that's the extent of my knowledge~ hahaha

It's not the difference between glove & darwin we're "debating" :lol: It's darwin & natural tanned. SAs are apparently telling us that natural tanned is just the new name for darwin but we beg to differ :yes:

I want to thank you Mulberry ladies for such lively responses! I'll have to play hooky from work more often :graucho: so I don't miss any Mulberry action :supacool:

I weighed my Bayswater (something mommy will not reciprocate!) ~ she comes in at 3 pounds, 9.6 ounces. I don't know if that makes her "thick" or "thin" but I know I'm supposed to love her just the same.... until I figure out my next step. :whistle:

It's not so much "it is a good bag" vs "it's not a good bag". It's more that blugenie has paid full price for a bag that she knows has been hanging around for close to 18 months. Certainly, this would bug me a little bit.

ETA blugenie, that's funny that you weighed your Bayswater. I'll weigh mine tonight to join in the fun. Although mine is lined glove but still, it will be interesting to see how they compare!

You've given me inspiration to order straight from the source. Perhaps I'll hold out until I can be in So Cal at Mulberry and pick my bag out IRL... :tender:

The leather on the bags does differ from bag to bag. i've seen some really wrinkly darwin bags and some that are really smooth. If you can get to the Mulberry store to pick out the bag yourself that would be the best option.
I'm really peeved- i wrote you a long reply when the thread first appeared but somehow it didn't get posted on the thread:confused1:
Was going to say i've got 4 mulberry bags from different sources ( boutique/ harrods/ outlet/ mulberry store) and all the dustbags are different in colour / texture!!!!!