Diamond advice please!

dlaude6, congrats on your engagement!

I just wanted to share some updated info about Chubb stand alone ring policies since it seems like the Chubb agents all give different info on stand alone policies. Like others on this thread, I too have a Chubb stand alone policy for my ring. Over the years the value amount on a stand alone ring has slowly changed to reflect increasing claims on rings from stand alone policies. A few years ago I got an upgrade and was abe to get my ring insured via Chubb because it had a replacement value at a level that they were currently accepting, had it been lower, they would not have given me coverage. I just checked with my agent a couple of months back and was told that now that Chubb has taken such a beating in stand alone ring policy claims, they will now only provide coverage for rings with a replacement value of $100k or more, and this info comes from a Chubb agent who did a large number of stand alone policies on things like engagement rings. Rough, I know, but I guess a lot of people were cashing in on claims so they only cover really super high amounts.

what insurance did you end up going with in the end?

Ok update! I got the ring, got it insured, asked her dad, told my family, and couldn't wait anymore, so I asked her Saturday! She said yes! She loves the ring, but I knew she would with all your great help! Here are a couple pictures. I didn't get a good picture of just the ring yet cause I'm tired and lazy from the weekend haha.

the set up...
216737_10100813136699350_1901889_65753746_5738162_n.jpg

me fumbling in my pocket haha
281478_10100813137677390_1901889_65753760_6681027_n.jpg

the money shot! haha
281605_10100813138715310_1901889_65753771_5334735_n.jpg

ugh pics aren't working right now, I'll get it fixed tomorrow haha. Sorry for the tease!

Awaiting picures.... :biggrin:

How was her reaction? Was she Surprised?

YAY for an Update!!!! Many many congrats! SO glad it was well received!

dlaude6, congrats on your engagement!

I just wanted to share some updated info about Chubb stand alone ring policies since it seems like the Chubb agents all give different info on stand alone policies. Like others on this thread, I too have a Chubb stand alone policy for my ring. Over the years the value amount on a stand alone ring has slowly changed to reflect increasing claims on rings from stand alone policies. A few years ago I got an upgrade and was abe to get my ring insured via Chubb because it had a replacement value at a level that they were currently accepting, had it been lower, they would not have given me coverage. I just checked with my agent a couple of months back and was told that now that Chubb has taken such a beating in stand alone ring policy claims, they will now only provide coverage for rings with a replacement value of $100k or more, and this info comes from a Chubb agent who did a large number of stand alone policies on things like engagement rings. Rough, I know, but I guess a lot of people were cashing in on claims so they only cover really super high amounts.

what insurance did you end up going with in the end?

I can tell you this simply because I was involved in this process and it's really still none of my business but Ill speak for him anyway--he has Chubb and despite what the agent told you, I think it's still going to vary by agency and agent because he went through my agent and they insured my rings, as well as his, and I know for fact nothing I own totals even remotely near 100K. Hell ours together aren't even that much. Nor was I required to add house or cars, and neither was he.

There have been other members who private messaged me for contact info for my agent and input on this, and only two of the double-digit quantity of inquiring minds were anywhere near valued that 100K.

It has to be by agency and by agent, and definitely by valuation and geographic region. I know of one person who recently inquired for their ring which was WELL over 100K in valuation and the premium given was like...ridiculous compared to every other insurer that was contacted. I don't believe this person chose Chubb, but there was never a mention of adding any other line items such as a car or home.

YAY for an Update!!!! Many many congrats! SO glad it was well received!

I can tell you this simply because I was involved in this process and it's really still none of my business but Ill speak for him anyway--he has Chubb and despite what the agent told you, I think it's still going to vary by agency and agent because he went through my agent and they insured my rings, as well as his, and I know for fact nothing I own totals even remotely near 100K. Hell ours together aren't even that much. Nor was I required to add house or cars, and neither was he.

There have been other members who private messaged me for contact info for my agent and input on this, and only two of the double-digit quantity of inquiring minds were anywhere near valued that 100K.

It has to be by agency and by agent, and definitely by valuation and geographic region. I know of one person who recently inquired for their ring which was WELL over 100K in valuation and the premium given was like...ridiculous compared to every other insurer that was contacted. I don't believe this person chose Chubb, but there was never a mention of adding any other line items such as a car or home.

Yes, sorry about the delay, and thanks for answering for me! You probably get on here more than I do haha. Anyway, yes, I do have Chubb, and it's no where near 100k.

I'll get pictures soon! I've just been so busy. I'm usually pretty busy to begin with, and now with something important to plan I'll be even more busy! But she was VERY surprised, and couldn't be happier! ...I'll work on those pics, but it'd be MUCH easier if TPF allowed fb to host pics like they used to. Ugh.

Ok so here goes the story, as the pictures tell it...with some captions provided by yours truly. So, being from Chicago, we're both White Sox fans. And, being that I couldn't wait any longer, we both love to travel, and we both love to go to away sporting events, I figured this would be a great opportunity. So we get out of our private transportation van (my friend works for a hotel and got the hookup haha) and I knew this was the time. PERFECT, in the front of the stadium. So we stop for pictures. Here's the sequence:

First one, she thinks this is just a regular photo shoot (but should have guessed otherwise when all 4 people we were with had cameras out haha). I wasn't ready, hence my non-smile. Oh well.
35441708.jpg

Seriously, all I said was her full name and she was like "nu-uh. No way. Stop." and sort of knew it.
21280654.jpg

Got down and asked her. She still thought I was joking because I didn't have the ring out haha. She's still saying "stop, you're joking". I fumbled in my pocket for about 15 seconds haha, though it felt like forever.
30239169.jpg

I finally get it out and show her, and she finally believes it's real, though still in shock haha.
15336401.jpg

That's a big fat yes!
85840045.jpg

I stood up to complete the hug, because standing up back to back she's still got an inch or so on me, height wise haha, no need to stay on a knee to exaggerate the height difference
60351798.jpg

we're both still super excited and she almost knocks us over with the uber prolonged hug
67018830.jpg

one more I love you kiss!
73907346.jpg

Needless to say, she was BEYOND surprised, so that was a kudos to me. It was perfect for us, I couldn't have asked for a better scenario (except maybe that lady to be a little less creepy in the background of many of the pictures hahaha), and she couldn't have been happier. Sorry, no pictures of just the ring...just yet. Enjoy!

Awww, thank you for updating!

My husband, despite being from the north side, is a Sox fan too. Lucky you, she'll always think going to a baseball game with is the most romantic thing in the world since it is where you proposed!