Scarves Determining what scarves look best on you

I'm really early in my scarf collecting, but I've already made a few observations:

1. The hem often makes or breaks a scarf for me; I love a beautiful contrasting hem, but some seem "too" contrasting for me and are off-putting
2. When debating between two cws, I've decided to keep scarves with lots of pinks/soft blues because they suit my coloring; these aren't the colors I gravitate towards in a vacuum, and it's made me reconsider some cws I didn't necessarily love online but know I'll like on
3. I'm learning to appreciate a design that has intricate corners or a design that runs to the edge, since the knots I prefer most tend to highlight this area of a scarf

I'm really early in my scarf collecting, but I've already made a few observations:

1. The hem often makes or breaks a scarf for me; I love a beautiful contrasting hem, but some seem "too" contrasting for me and are off-putting
2. When debating between two cws, I've decided to keep scarves with lots of pinks/soft blues because they suit my coloring; these aren't the colors I gravitate towards in a vacuum, and it's made me reconsider some cws I didn't necessarily love online but know I'll like on
3. I'm learning to appreciate a design that has intricate corners or a design that runs to the edge, since the knots I prefer most tend to highlight this area of a scarf
The things you mentioned are great observations- especially about flattering colors. May I ask your skin tone/hair/eye coloring to get an idea of what suits? If you feel comfortable, sharing a pic would be helpful to see just what colors work for you.
Lucky you developing your knot preferences early on- that is soooo helpful!

The things you mentioned are great observations- especially about flattering colors. May I ask your skin tone/hair/eye coloring to get an idea of what suits? If you feel comfortable, sharing a pic would be helpful to see just what colors work for you.
Lucky you developing your knot preferences early on- that is soooo helpful!

I have dark blonde hair, a light neutral skintone (typically the lightest or second lightest "N" shade in any US-brand foundation, or a light to mid-range Asian-brand foundation), and dark brown eyes.

Ex: I chose a blue cw of Artisans even though I thought I'd prefer the red. It's not necessarily noticeable in this lighting/pic, but the red close to my face just didn't seem to work as nicely. I think that because I'm so fair, sometimes rich colors in certain tones can overpower me, the lighter pinks and blues seem to add some warmth and life to my skin.

img_9641-jpg.4877172
lesartisans3-jpg.4859925
lesartisans1-jpg.4859923

Similarly, I really liked the light blue Plumes en Fete on me, and I figured the light pink Into the Canadian Wild would also suit me, given the similar color palette. It gave me the confidence to buy the ItCW blind, without the possibility of a return, and it worked out!

img_9011-jpg.4815135
img_9719-jpg.4886881

I have dark blonde hair, a light neutral skintone (typically the lightest or second lightest "N" shade in any US-brand foundation, or a light to mid-range Asian-brand foundation), and dark brown eyes.

Ex: I chose a blue cw of Artisans even though I thought I'd prefer the red. It's not necessarily noticeable in this lighting/pic, but the red close to my face just didn't seem to work as nicely. I think that because I'm so fair, sometimes rich colors in certain tones can overpower me, the lighter pinks and blues seem to add some warmth and life to my skin.

img_9641-jpg.4877172
lesartisans3-jpg.4859925
lesartisans1-jpg.4859923

Similarly, I really liked the light blue Plumes en Fete on me, and I figured the light pink Into the Canadian Wild would also suit me, given the similar color palette. It gave me the confidence to buy the ItCW blind, without the possibility of a return, and it worked out!

img_9011-jpg.4815135
img_9719-jpg.4886881
Wow- I see what you mean about the blues & blushes favoring you!
Thanks so very much for sharing; I find this topic so interesting :flowers:

Very interesting thread! I have only started buying Hermes scarves last year and don’t have terribly many yet, but I realised that I like / pick scarves that are the opposite to how I dress. I don’t like patterns (except perhaps for the occasional leopard print or a breton top) and I wear very little colour - my wardrobe is mostly black, grey, navy and white. When it comes to scarves, however, I gravitate toward busy, bold and fairly colourful ones. I really like the aesthetics and intricacy of Alice Shirley or Aline Honore and so far have mostly their designs. I’m in my mid-30 and I dress quite simply and so I want scarves that compliment my style but are also fun.

In terms of colour, my skin has a yellow undertone and I look quite good in rich jewel tones, emerald green, turquoise, cobalt, magenta pink, iris, rich purple... I also love warm toned yellows and I find they really brighten my skin. I also look good in bright orange based reds but I really that’s one colour that I feel really uncomfortable wearing and so my predominantly red scarves ended up being re-homed.
I love some of the pastel CWs like the cream and pistachio Toucans but it makes me look insipid. Brown usually doesn’t do much for me either - but I would still try it if I love the design. The yellow CW of Plumes en Fete has quite a lot of brown/ cool beige in is actually very flattering one me.

In terms of size, I feel most comfortable with either the 90s and on my SA’s recommendation have started exploring the smaller formats as well, the 70s, bandanas and gavroches which I find very flattering and and easy to work with. I have one triangular scarf and I love the idea of the silk and cashmere CGSMs but I feel like it’s too much fabric for me to manage and I was also dissuaded from the 140 format by my SA as well.

Ultimately I think it’s all about trial and error, trying things on and out and finding what works for you, your taste, your wardrobe and your lifestyle :flowers:

I love to read these sorts of things - it seems so organized.
@papertiger's in-depth anaysis is wonderful to read, and I so appreciate her sharing it. I aspire to it!

I've made many mistakes - wooooo boy - some whoppers! But I am learning.

I have learned that I don't like the super busy little patterns (of course there are exceptions), and I avoid 'icy' colors (especially blue), and what I call 'Pepto Bismol' pink. I had a Les Jardins d'Armenie - it was a double disaster - the dreaded shade of pink and very busy pattern. I had tied it like a cape and was trying to take a photo for the SOTD... I took it off. I looked like I was wearing an old quilt. :shocked:
My Sea, Surf and Fun skirts on the edge of being too icy, but the dark blue/black, pinky taupes and brick colors rescue it from being too cold.
I like warm tones, dark blues, many shades of greens, reds and some pinks. Pink depends on what it's with, same with orange. Looking at my Stylebook app - I only have one scarf with purple. Apparently I unconsciously avoid it. :lol:

I have noticed I like scarves that present as a neutral - my bright yellow Plumes en Fete is a great example of that. It's a marvelous bright yellow, but the feathers are beautifully neutral. I have a 'light' neutral drawer and a 'dark' neutral. These are black, gray, brown, cream, and all the colors on those scarves... that makes no sense I know.... for example my Galop Chromatique lives in the dark neutral drawer - but yesterday when I wore it, I showed all the reds and pinks of it. With a lavender sweater.

But you know - I really love them all. Since I did a big cull this year, everything is a keeper.

Ooooh- that sounds so simple!
I’ve heard of those color systems, but don’t ever feel like I’m certain where I fit.

Would you consider sharing some more details of your personal method... a photo or 2 to illustrate? I’d love to see it in action!

A great starting point is to look at the underside of your wrist. Is the skin tone cool or warm? DH is cool so he going to look great in black whereas my tone is warm so I look best in warm, earth tones. For someone to say I look horrible in yellow, I want to see which shade of yellow. Is it golden yellow or pale yellow. Golden is warm whereas pale is cool. Reds, there are warm reds and cool reds (blue based) and so it goes. I can trick black making me look washed out/dead by using a scarf that falls in my color category, such as orange, for instance.

I love to read these sorts of things - it seems so organized.
@papertiger's in-depth anaysis is wonderful to read, and I so appreciate her sharing it. I aspire to it!

I've made many mistakes - wooooo boy - some whoppers! But I am learning.

I have learned that I don't like the super busy little patterns (of course there are exceptions), and I avoid 'icy' colors (especially blue), and what I call 'Pepto Bismol' pink. I had a Les Jardins d'Armenie - it was a double disaster - the dreaded shade of pink and very busy pattern. I had tied it like a cape and was trying to take a photo for the SOTD... I took it off. I looked like I was wearing an old quilt. :shocked:
My Sea, Surf and Fun skirts on the edge of being too icy, but the dark blue/black, pinky taupes and brick colors rescue it from being too cold.
I like warm tones, dark blues, many shades of greens, reds and some pinks. Pink depends on what it's with, same with orange. Looking at my Stylebook app - I only have one scarf with purple. Apparently I unconsciously avoid it. :lol:

I have noticed I like scarves that present as a neutral - my bright yellow Plumes en Fete is a great example of that. It's a marvelous bright yellow, but the feathers are beautifully neutral. I have a 'light' neutral drawer and a 'dark' neutral. These are black, gray, brown, cream, and all the colors on those scarves... that makes no sense I know.... for example my Galop Chromatique lives in the dark neutral drawer - but yesterday when I wore it, I showed all the reds and pinks of it. With a lavender sweater.

But you know - I really love them all. Since I did a big cull this year, everything is a keeper.

Whatever you do/have done it works you always look wonderful.

And you're lucky, I think you may have a colouring that looks good in most colours, those 'baby' and 'icy' colours are avoidable (I have similar nemeses). I can't do some of the too warm colours either like rich cream, milky yellows, even some of shades of apricots and milky oranges either. I think we are both lucky though, we both have a lot a choice. More than most. Sometimes there are very fine lines between perfection and erm... :thinking: a bit 'off' :lol:

Thanks for sharing this wealth of great ideas! :nuts:
I’m pleased that your assessment falls along the lines of what I was thinking for myself. It’s tricky to look objectively at yourself at times b/c superfluous details can confuse and ideals distort (does that make sense?). I’ve explored the 4 color/type system with hue/tint/shade/tone and know grayed tones near my face should be avoided and icy/reflective finishes seem to compliment.

I’m thoroughly intrigued by your make up artist color tips!! I’m running to mirror now to examine my under eye shadows and will probably overthink what I find. :giggle:
I adore the concept of using a scarf as make-up; what a fresh way at looking at my collection! I’m going to try this out and see what happens...

Your last point of scale is something that I haven’t yet mastered. If you have any additional pointers for determining what is ideal I’d love to hear them.

It's very hard to be objective. Especially when these prescriptive 4, 8, 12 or 16 colour tribe colour diagnoses don't fit.

I just mean scale in addition to busy or simple. I can do busy but I'm not sure Ugo Gattoni or Jan Bajtlik busy with such detail (I'll try Animapolis again for charity sake again in Nov). However, always gotta try on and not just dismiss because of theory, it's the practice that matters. I can do bold and large designs but failed at Grrr and Centred Rhyme.

I have only just come to understand that I've neither 'cool' or 'warm' undertones but a mix of both (and yet not the 'neutral' of the makeup world, which usually means no discernible undertone showing through the skin). Is it any wonder no foundation ever worked until I found one that everyone else hated. Neither pink nor yellow, but a mix of both. I know that the TM I wear is too yellow for me really and that's labelled 'neutral', well peach should be a neutral too but it never is. The veins in my wrists are blue, some purple there too, my undertones on my face are peach. As I said, my shadow(s) is/are perceived as purple. Wearing some yellows can bring out the shadows under my eyes as much as grape. My hair is fairly light-sh red (but fairly subtle) and my eyes green-ish with a blue-ish rim. Add to that strong features from some angles and yet softness from front on. Give me those in-between-y shades on a scarf and I'm happy, or the scarves that mix warm and cool. Give me a mix of geometrics and swoops, drama and elegance all at once.

And even if you love a scarf design (theme or for whatever reason) or even entire season when there's no cw that works for you WALK AWAY. If you have a season when 6 are perfect buy them all. Don't make decisions with head or heart alone, use both.

Whatever you do/have done it works you always look wonderful.

And you're lucky, I think you may have a colouring that looks good in most colours, those 'baby' and 'icy' colours are avoidable (I have similar nemeses). I can't do some of the too warm colours either like rich cream, milky yellows, even some of shades of apricots and milky oranges either. I think we are both lucky though, we both have a lot a choice. More than most. Sometimes there are very fine lines between perfection and erm... :thinking: a bit 'off' :lol:
Thank you, that’s such a lovely thing to say. :hugs:
It's very hard to be objective. Especially when these prescriptive 4, 8, 12 or 16 colour tribe colour diagnoses don't fit.

I just mean scale in addition to busy or simple. I can do busy but I'm not sure Ugo Gattoni or Jan Bajtlik busy with such detail (I'll try Animapolis again for charity sake again in Nov). However, always gotta try on and not just dismiss because of theory, it's the practice that matters. I can do bold and large designs but failed at Grrr and Centred Rhyme.

I have only just come to understand that I've neither 'cool' or 'warm' undertones but a mix of both (and yet not the 'neutral' of the makeup world, which usually means no discernible undertone showing through the skin). Is it any wonder no foundation ever worked until I found one that everyone else hated. Neither pink nor yellow, but a mix of both. I know that the TM I wear is too yellow for me really and that's labelled 'neutral', well peach should be a neutral too but it never is. The veins in my wrists are blue, some purple there too, my undertones on my face are peach. As I said, my shadow(s) is/are perceived as purple. Wearing some yellows can bring out the shadows under my eyes as much as grape. My hair is fairly light-sh red (but fairly subtle) and my eyes green-ish with a blue-ish rim. Add to that strong features from some angles and yet softness from front on. Give me those in-between-y shades on a scarf and I'm happy, or the scarves that mix warm and cool. Give me a mix of geometrics and swoops, drama and elegance all at once.

And even if you love a scarf design (theme or for whatever reason) or even entire season when there's no cw that works for you WALK AWAY. If you have a season when 6 are perfect buy them all. Don't make decisions with head or heart alone, use both.
I feel the same about Ugo Gattoni or Jan Bajtlik - small and busy. But I love the little dog on Bajtlik’s scarf - especially the one this season. But I’m unsure about the color. So - I don’t have one!

My hair and eyes are brown, veins in my wrist are blue green. I’m very tall, and slim-ish. I do think I would be considered in the neutral camp color-wise.
Your statement “Give me those in-between-y shades on a scarf and I'm happy, or the scarves that mix warm and cool. Give me a mix of geometrics and swoops, drama and elegance all at once.” is marvelous. Thank you for saying what I couldn’t figure out!
One of my most very favorite scarves is Perspective Cavaliere - it’s is the most unusual colorway - mauve, lavender, blue, yellow, dark red and a sort of olive color... it sounds AWFUL. But it is beautiful, it is both angular and curvy, it has a lovely yellow hem, and I adore it. It is warm and cool, dramatic and elegant. You would love it too!

I feel the same about Ugo Gattoni or Jan Bajtlik - small and busy. But I love the little dog on Bajtlik’s scarf - especially the one this season. But I’m unsure about the color. So - I don’t have one!

My hair and eyes are brown, veins in my wrist are blue green. I’m very tall, and slim-ish. I do think I would be considered in the neutral camp color-wise.
Your statement “Give me those in-between-y shades on a scarf and I'm happy, or the scarves that mix warm and cool. Give me a mix of geometrics and swoops, drama and elegance all at once.” is marvelous. Thank you for saying what I couldn’t figure out!
One of my most very favorite scarves is Perspective Cavaliere - it’s is the most unusual colorway - mauve, lavender, blue, yellow, dark red and a sort of olive color... it sounds AWFUL. But it is beautiful, it is both angular and curvy, it has a lovely yellow hem, and I adore it. It is warm and cool, dramatic and elegant. You would love it too!

I love the sound of that cw PC. I bought a pair of twillies (all shades of green) in the same design (I think 2014).. Bit of a crazy (expensive) season, I wanted the Metamorphosis in pink you have too but I couldn't let go of the dark blue with its silver and gold. I bought so many scarves that season. Marvelous.

A great starting point is to look at the underside of your wrist. Is the skin tone cool or warm? DH is cool so he going to look great in black whereas my tone is warm so I look best in warm, earth tones. For someone to say I look horrible in yellow, I want to see which shade of yellow. Is it golden yellow or pale yellow. Golden is warm whereas pale is cool. Reds, there are warm reds and cool reds (blue based) and so it goes. I can trick black making me look washed out/dead by using a scarf that falls in my color category, such as orange, for instance.
Ah, yes- my ambiguous veins put me in neutral territory (and both silver & gold jewelry look equally “right” against my skin). Though my hair & eyes are both decidedly brown- black & true white work better on me than browns or neutrals. I admire beige on others (so chic), but it puts me in zombie territory.
I mostly adhere to non-grayed colors and will try your trick of wearing something bolder with the few muted scarves I can’t bear to part with...

I follow you now on scale. I admire Gattoni designs, but the hem to hem minute detail doesn’t allow the visual breathing room that seems to look best on me. I had several small scale designs on my wish list b/c they look fantastic on others, but realized that -although beautiful- they probably won’t suit.

From SOTD pics I’ve seen of you PT, you’ve nailed your unique color palette beautifully.

I love your vintage selections (you were the catalyst for my hunt for an aqua ExLbris) and always admire how chic you look in your many neutrals... I simply can’t pull them off. :frown: Since we’re both neutral/brown/brown I imagine it’s possibly the warm-leaning vs. cool-leaning thing.

Great thread! For me I think:

1. In terms of color there are really only a few I stay away from. Yellows, unless it is cream, and bright teal are my biggest no-no colors. I find that most colors work for me, or, if they don’t work, they work as a nice contrast to my outfits. I wear a mix of gray/blue/brown/cream neutrals and pink/greens. However, whenever I buy I scarf I force myself to think of what specific pieces or outfits I would wear it with. This helps me to decide if it would really work with my life. I find that even though I am pale, white scarves look nice on me if I’m wearing dark colors.

2. I don’t like geometric designs, or tiny homogenous pattern designs (like pique fleuri), as a rule. I am soft and curvy, with an hourglass figure. I feel that I look best with designs that mimic my curves. I like wearing scarves that look like pieces of art.

3. I also focus on style. I’m 37, and dress fairly casually. So, classic scarves with old-fashioned borders don’t work.

4. The tone that works best for my skin is pink. Almost all my scarves have pink present.

here are some mod shots!

Attachments

• A687CC2C-8135-46FD-973B-094B01A27175.jpeg
    A687CC2C-8135-46FD-973B-094B01A27175.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 84
  • C7BEE1C4-67E6-4FA8-B9C8-8297CE376B6C.jpeg
    C7BEE1C4-67E6-4FA8-B9C8-8297CE376B6C.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 80
  • 7FD8A66A-D7DA-4F36-9EB0-B6F7322B5FB3.jpeg
    7FD8A66A-D7DA-4F36-9EB0-B6F7322B5FB3.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 3671E9CA-F9BE-4DBD-AEF8-AD50EAF6A81F.jpeg
    3671E9CA-F9BE-4DBD-AEF8-AD50EAF6A81F.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 26040C53-64B7-4E89-93D9-D6B6BDBD48BD.jpeg
    26040C53-64B7-4E89-93D9-D6B6BDBD48BD.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 6A05263C-D39C-4A94-9ABC-8D29CAE9DEBD.jpeg
    6A05263C-D39C-4A94-9ABC-8D29CAE9DEBD.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 84
  • AF062688-B575-498F-B251-D04B3EDB63DF.png
    AF062688-B575-498F-B251-D04B3EDB63DF.png
    796.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 5FF0CC0E-E3F5-48BE-8481-8A6B611AFCD2.jpeg
    5FF0CC0E-E3F5-48BE-8481-8A6B611AFCD2.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 8F551FE3-C91E-4137-B2CB-0418CB4AAE6F.jpeg
    8F551FE3-C91E-4137-B2CB-0418CB4AAE6F.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 5C8FFB01-1F9A-43B4-B960-E30D01E8AF0F.jpeg
    5C8FFB01-1F9A-43B4-B960-E30D01E8AF0F.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 86
  • BF8CD921-6C46-419D-809C-9BF866D98A13.jpeg
    BF8CD921-6C46-419D-809C-9BF866D98A13.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 90
  • F1BECFE3-26CF-4AA1-A753-4D0FE4745337.jpeg
    F1BECFE3-26CF-4AA1-A753-4D0FE4745337.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 81

i left out the spring and summer color categories only because I am not sure how to determine who falls where. There is or was a book called Color Me Beautiful. I went to a workshop years ago and got swatches of the autumn colors. So if you are a mix, then more than likely you are a spring or summer color. To add to this

Reactions: Marmota