Department Store Chanel vs Chanel Boutiques

I prefer the department stores due to points/reward programs, accessibility and relationship with SA's. Interesting topic and I like reading the feedback. I used to work at luxury retailer. Sometimes inventory, like certain colors is dependent upon buyers (supply and demand). This includes regional buying habits. For example, SF might have more basic colors versus Miami, FL might have a few colorful pieces to choose from.

Reactions: BB8
Any benefit to choosing boutique over department store?

Anyone know why the prices for Chanel are slightly lower in Neiman's (the only "department" store in my neck of the woods that sells Chanel) than at the Chanel Boutique? I bought my leather and chain belt yesterday at Neiman's for $495 and at the Chanel store around the corner the same belt was $525. The re-issue I bought in Neiman's was $1,975 vs. Boutique at over $2,000.

Just wondering....[emoji2]
Wait so, Saks SF doesn't sell Chanel bags/SLGs?

What are the Pros and Cons of buying in a Chanel boutique vs a department store (ie: Saks, Neiman's, Bloomingdale's?

Which do you prefer and why?
I'm in NY and I'd say depending on the promotions at the stores I know bloomingdales you can earn loyalist points for (so I always make my big purchases a triple points day!) however, they dont have a reserve list. Whereas the boutiques have reserve lists and if they dont have it can try to get from another store!

I was really shocked to discover today Chanel boutiques don't refund - exchange only. I had instant buyer's remorse over a Wallet on Chain in a seasonal colour today and returned it within a couple of hours. I've shopped a LOT in Chanel and never had to return; I just assumed a refund would be fine. I don't recall ever being told it was exchange only. In fairness, it is in the Ts and Cs on the back of the receipt card.

Long story short, I was actually refunded as a gesture of goodwill. But lesson learnt. I prefer boutique shopping for a whole host of reasons, but I think I will stick to Harrods/Selfridges from now on just to be safe.

I know this is two years old but I am in literally the same exact boat as you. Bought a WOC and had instant buyers remorse. I called the Chanel Sloan Street and they shut me down immediately. How did you get them to give you a refund?

Reactions: 18eve
Is there any difference or benefits of buying designer goods from stand alone stores versus buying from the stores that are located within bigger department stores? Where do you normally make your purchases ?

Reactions: Model T
I normally make my purchase at a stand alone boutique with the same SA each time. Sometimes, stand alone boutiques might have not ordered certain items and you might be able to find it at a store located within a department store like NM it Saks or vice versa :smile:

Is there any difference or benefits of buying designer goods from stand alone stores versus buying from the stores that are located within bigger department stores? Where do you normally make your purchases ?

I usually shop at department stores -- they have better return policies and usually you get points (those expensive purchases add up). As far as getting items, my Saks SA can get RTW from Chanel boutiques if they don't have them within Saks.

Reactions: C.Ly and fdc
Hi I have a question:

What is the benefit of purchasing from a department store versus purchasing at a stand alone store?

Where do you shop? Which stores do you generally shop in department stores rather than the stand alone boutique?

Someone mentioned points to me... do you get gift cards for these points ?

here is a small shoe example... I want to buy the Dior Dway Sandal. Do I buy this at Nordstrom? Or go to the Dior store?

I have to figure out which designer stores are located within the bigger department stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: itspatita
I’m also interested in this topic! I want to build an SA relationship but not sure if I should do NM/Saks or a stand alone boutique.

Reactions: Prettyinpnknwht
Hi I have a question:

What is the benefit of purchasing from a department store versus purchasing at a stand alone store?

Where do you shop? Which stores do you generally shop in department stores rather than the stand alone boutique?

here is a small shoe example... I want to buy the Dior Dway Sandal. Do I buy this at Nordstrom? Or go to the Dior store?

I have to figure out which designer stores are located within the bigger department stores.
There are pros and cons to each.
Department stores offer points, but their stock might not be as complete as a stand-alone boutique’s, and they might not be able to order exactly what you’re looking for. Department store shopping is convenient, because you can purchase other items in the store, including items that complement your designer purchase without getting too matchy or becoming a fashion victim. The purchasing experience can be very good in both locations, but it sometimes is easier to build a relationship with an SA in a stand-alone. Boutiques don’t give points, but can give you perks such as gift-with-purchase, invites to events, etc.
In the end, you’ll probably end up shopping at both.

Hi I have a question:

There are pros and cons to each.
Department stores offer points, but their stock might not be as complete as a stand-alone boutique’s, and they might not be able to order exactly what you’re looking for. Department store shopping is convenient, because you can purchase other items in the store, including items that complement your designer purchase without getting too matchy or becoming a fashion victim. The purchasing experience can be very good in both locations, but it sometimes is easier to build a relationship with an SA in a stand-alone. Boutiques don’t give points, but can give you perks such as gift-with-purchase, invites to events, etc.
In the end, you’ll probably end up shopping at both.

Actually, depending on the city and brand combination, a department store may actually have a better selection than a standalone boutique. The SAs at Chanel boutiques in NYC always tell me to go to Saks or Bloomingdales instead, as they both have a larger and more complete selection than any Chanel boutique in NYC. Also, the points and offers, as previously pointed out.

Actually, depending on the city and brand combination, a department store may actually have a better selection than a standalone boutique. The SAs at Chanel boutiques in NYC always tell me to go to Saks or Bloomingdales instead, as they both have a larger and more complete selection than any Chanel boutique in NYC. Also, the points and offers, as previously pointed out.
Quite right, it depends on your geographical location. I shop in Paris, and department stores can’t compete with flagship boutiques in terms of selection, knowledgeable SAs, and the entire shopping experience. However they do offer points, which can give you a good discount.