Decision on size of Kelly Retourne (28 vs 32)

When in doubt, go with your first choice. It usually is the one that makes your heart sing. :flowers:

If I were you, I would pick Fjord because it is no longer in production and it wears very well. You would get the most use out of it.

Then you can decide if K and Bolide are too similar or not, and hunt for the red K next.

When in doubt, go with your first choice. It usually is the one that makes your heart sing. :flowers:

If I were you, I would pick Fjord because it is no longer in production and it wears very well. You would get the most use out of it.

Then you can decide if K and Bolide are too similar or not, and hunt for the red K next.

I agree, go with your heart - especially if you really want red.
However if you want to be swayed by the leather, there is so much fulsome praise on here for Fjord...it has that 'echt Hermes' cache of both box and barenia.

I think it really depends on wether you're a small bag person or larger bag person. I keep seeing everyone carrying birkin 25s these days. I used to like bigger bags but my taste changed & now I reach more for smaller bags. Either way it will be fabulous on you! I'm sure of it.

I think K32 and 28 retourné are both perfect on almost everyone....I am pretty small (5'1", 95 pounds, size 00) and it's only the 32 sellier I can't pull off except with big heels. 28 is the best on me but 32 is not TOO big and it does hold quite a bit more.
Bolide 31 and Kelly are different bags, I don't think it duplicates, but to me a K32 retourné holds a bit more than B31.

These both look great on you! I think the different sizes are just a slightly different look, but they both look fab.

OP, FWIW, I am 5’6 and a US size 4. I have one 32 Kelly and two 35s. All retourne. I didn’t set off with that as a plan. My first was a 32, Rouge Vif box, gold hardware. It’s my “fancy” bag. I then got a 35 in Barenia because I wanted more room so I could really use it as an everyday bag. The second 35 I got because it was a unique bag — a vintage special order that I would have jumped at regardless of size. But the 35 size works for me (also, it was the size Grace Kelly wore, so there is that!). I don’t have a 28 because having held one, it just feels small to me. Maybe that will change someday, but right now, if I were to get another, I’d get another 32.

I say this just as a way of saying, get what size works for you and will carry your stuff. I like having a little extra room in my bags — I don’t like having to play tetris with my things. Don’t get too hung up on what size looks right — it’s a Kelly, after all — it will look wonderful in any size!

Dear @Monique1004 @QuelleFromage and @catsinthebag , thank you so much for your input and reassurance!
It is indeed such a blessing to have this forum with ladies like yourselves, not minding to spend time to share your experiences with noobs like myself.
Greatly apprreciate :drinks:

@shopaholicious I'm more worried about the bag being heavy, I did google and read up that fjord is a heavier leather, which worries me.
I'd go for the chevre in a heartbeat for it will make it a lighter bag (since it is 32 instead of 28), but I don't think I should have another red bag(?). I know some ladies have a fantastic collection, but I'm keeping my bags to 10, so every decision counts.
They are all retourne and rather wonderful condition, making the decision even harder.

i got a new to me fjord birkin and would highly recommend this leather! it is 10+ years old and still looks brand new :heart: it also keeps its shape...good luck deciding! :smile:
@txrosegirl , this is good news indeed. Do you find your fjord birkin heavier compared to a same/similar bag?

Are they all in the same condition? If so, my vote goes for the Togo because, color x hardware combo.
@Ang-Lin , yes - all 3 bags are in rather wonderful condition.

Are they retourne or sellier? Personally would choose black fjord (read that it's hard-wearing) but you sound the most keen on rouge h chevre though :smile:
@buttonmushroom , they are all retourne. I love the option of chevre (lighter) but unsure if I should have another red bag. I only intend to have 10 bags, this is the last slot :sad:

I agree, go with your heart - especially if you really want red.
However if you want to be swayed by the leather, there is so much fulsome praise on here for Fjord...it has that 'echt Hermes' cache of both box and barenia.
@PJW5813 yes, I read the same praises too and that fjord does reburbish/spa well, if I remember correctly. All that's stopping me is the weight, which I read that fjord is heavier than quite a few other leather options.

Thankfully, no issues so far. However, I have to caveat it as follows :biggrin::
  1. I don't carry them for a long period of time, definitely not more than 1-2 hrs at a time. Not because I'm worried abt the bag's spine... I'm worried about mine! The longest I've carried the iPad in there is when I was at an industry conference and I was too lazy to carry my laptop around in a separate bag.
  2. I don't have a lot of other things in the bag. I typically only bring my car key fob (which is pretty tiny), my phone and my wallet. I don't bring make up bags or the likes, which can def add to the weight.

HTH! :flowers:

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: A-Line
Ladies... SOS please!!

Just when I thought my mind is set on a 28, I stumbled across these 3 beautiful options (all in size 32 though):
- Black fjord with phw (2001), USD6500
- Rouge H chevre with phw (2002), USD8900 (rather pricy, but it is chevre :doh:)
- Black togo with phw (2013), USD8900

I almost went with the Rouge H chevre, but am torn, as my Bolide is in rouge grenat.
But Rouge H plus chevre combo, OMG!!! :wtf:

Ladies, which would you choose if you were me? I can't wait to hear your opinions/choices!

If you’re definitely planning on keeping your Bolide for the long haul, go for the black Fjord.

Otherwise, get the rouge H Chèvre (I mean, rouge H and chèvre? It’s almost a no-brainer except for the fact that you have the RG Bolide). Then sell the Bolide to help fund the black Fjord. :cool:

If you can’t already tell, I love the Kelly way more than the Bolide! :P

My vote is to stay with the K28. I am rather tall but have unfixable spine issues so weight is definitely a factor. My K's are both 28s, one is togo (see avatar); the other chevre. I've turned down 32s and have wondered should I go there? Then I call up the memory of being in the boutique and seeing the comparison of 28 to a 32 and case closed. This thread has veered off to 32 choices. Someone else said it and I echo the advice: stick with your first thought. There has always been a lot more 32s available in the US market and resale compared to 28s, so unless you can buy new, you will see more 32s on the retail market. Happy hunting and have patience.

Here's a comparison photo btn 28 Etoupe & 32 Blue Nuit. I'm a little taller than you. I'm 5.4ft & US size 2. Even for me I like 28 better. I would go for 28. Bolide 31 is one of my favorite bag to carry as well. Just perfect size I think.

View attachment 3909529View attachment 3909530

Great comparison shots... i prefer the 28 on you too! When the straps are undone the bags look abit bigger as well

Ladies... SOS please!!

Just when I thought my mind is set on a 28, I stumbled across these 3 beautiful options (all in size 32 though):
- Black fjord with phw (2001), USD6500
- Rouge H chevre with phw (2002), USD8900 (rather pricy, but it is chevre :doh:)
- Black togo with phw (2013), USD8900

I almost went with the Rouge H chevre, but am torn, as my Bolide is in rouge grenat.
But Rouge H plus chevre combo, OMG!!! :wtf:

Ladies, which would you choose if you were me? I can't wait to hear your opinions/choices!

My vote is to stay with the K28. I am rather tall but have unfixable spine issues so weight is definitely a factor. My K's are both 28s, one is togo (see avatar); the other chevre. I've turned down 32s and have wondered should I go there? Then I call up the memory of being in the boutique and seeing the comparison of 28 to a 32 and case closed. This thread has veered off to 32 choices. Someone else said it and I echo the advice: stick with your first thought. There has always been a lot more 32s available in the US market and resale compared to 28s, so unless you can buy new, you will see more 32s on the retail market. Happy hunting and have patience.

+1... unless you are sure you prefer the 32, you should wait for the 28. Stick to your first choice... doesnt sound like you carry alot. Dont go for the 32 just because there are more choices available now... good luck!

Reactions: celialow
I have a black Fjord K32 and I love it! It’s from 2009 and still looks brand new. The leather is thicker than my new Togo Bs but it isn’t noticeably heavier. The weight between Togo and Fjord feels about the same. The leather still smells heavenly whereas the new Togo Bs don’t really have a strong leather smell at all. I just think older Fjord bags are better made than the new ones. Just to note, the black isn’t a true black. It’s a gorgeous rich, velvety, matte black.

If I were you, I would get BOTH the Fjord and Chèvre Kellys and sell the Bolide. Hope that helps and let us know what you decide! Good luck.
:tup::hugs:

Edited due to typos.