Dead threads

Midge Maisel

Jun 1, 2023
I've seen this happen on various subforums: somebody has a question and revives a thread that's years old. I just saw it happen over at Hermes. I wonder if there's some way to automatically lock threads if they haven't been used in x amount of time? Like maybe two years? That's arbitrary, but my point is that there is probably no utility in reviving a 15-year-old thread to answer a question, but it's not that uncommon an occurrence.

I've seen this happen on various subforums: somebody has a question and revives a thread that's years old. I just saw it happen over at Hermes. I wonder if there's some way to automatically lock threads if they haven't been used in x amount of time? Like maybe two years? That's arbitrary, but my point is that there is probably no utility in reviving a 15-year-old thread to answer a question, but it's not that uncommon an occurrence.
sometimes when I have a question I will search the subject and post on an old thread. Often most of the people who posted there are gone but there could still be one who is active or someone else could see it

I did think it was amusing to see the conversation continue with some absent OG members as per your example, but I do think there is some utility in seeing the range of opinions and facts in their entirety. I personally prefer to call up an old thread rather than start a new one, but that’s bc I think members are too quick to start new threads without running a search. I do agree that with some threads, like the one you cite, closure is warranted. But, that is bc the present day query seemed to verge on authenticity rather than stamping conditions. Still, I enjoyed reading about how this was perceived, back in the day. JMO :smile:

Last edited:
I did think it was amusing to see the conversation continue with some absent OG members as per your example, but I do think there is some utility in seeing the range of opinions and facts in their entirety. I personally prefer to call up an old thread rather than start a new one, but that’s bc I think members are too quick to start new threads without running a search. I do agree that with some threads, like the one you cite, closure is warranted. But, that is bc the present day query seemed to verge on authenticity rather than stamping conditions. Still, I enjoyed reading about how this was perceived, back in the day. JMO :smile:
I completely agree. I love to see how responses change over the years for questions like what is the most stylish/useful bag size?, what is your metal preference for bags/jewelry?, do you prefer dainty or statement jewelry?, what are the best/worst colors for a handbag?, etc. A lot of the time a thread will open up to the first page for me since I have not opened it in a while, and it’s always fun to read through the first couple of pages thinking that they are new posts. I will marvel at the unexpected opinions and then realize they are from 2019, but with as much mutual, strong agreement as the opposite opinion would be expressed now. It is nice to be able to see the flow of public opinion change over time in one place, and then often change back. It is also nice to have fewer places to look for reference photos on a certain topic. It may not be realistic, but it would make sense to close threads that are time sensitive or very specific, for example, asking “Should I buy X or Y option from this brand? My SA will is holding them until tomorrow”.

I completely agree. I love to see how responses change over the years for questions like what is the most stylish/useful bag size?, what is your metal preference for bags/jewelry?, do you prefer dainty or statement jewelry?, what are the best/worst colors for a handbag?, etc. A lot of the time a thread will open up to the first page for me since I have not opened it in a while, and it’s always fun to read through the first couple of pages thinking that they are new posts. I will marvel at the unexpected opinions and then realize they are from 2019, but with as much mutual, strong agreement as the opposite opinion would be expressed now. It is nice to be able to see the flow of public opinion change over time in one place, and then often change back. It is also nice to have fewer places to look for reference photos on a certain topic. It may not be realistic, but it would make sense to close threads that are time sensitive or very specific, for example, asking “Should I buy X or Y option from this brand? My SA will is holding them until tomorrow”.
And I definitely agree with this in general! I was thinking more about threads where someone asked a question in 2009, someone answered it, the thread died, and then someone bumps it up now because their question is vaguely connected.

ETA: And I mean question questions, not opinion questions!

And I definitely agree with this in general! I was thinking more about threads where someone asked a question in 2009, someone answered it, the thread died, and then someone bumps it up now because their question is vaguely connected.

ETA: And I mean question questions, not opinion questions!
I definitely know what you mean, and I agree with you! I just don’t know how they could be selectively locked? Maybe truly dead topics can be reported if there is a consensus on this approach.

Reactions: Midge Maisel
I have noticed that some other forums I visit have an “old thread warning” like below that has to be checked when a user wants to reply to a very old thread. It can help prevent newbies from accidentally bumping outdated threads while still leaving them open for discussion.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 897 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
[CHECK BOX] I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.

I have noticed that some other forums I visit have an “old thread warning” like below that has to be checked when a user wants to reply to a very old thread. It can help prevent newbies from accidentally bumping outdated threads while still leaving them open for discussion.

That is a solid solution, I can look into extending the forum with this function for old threads.

Threads that have not been responded to in over a year now have this warning in the reply box:

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 17.47.07.jpg

Excellent! Thanks Vlad.

I don’t mind the “I have a similar question” responses because then it is obvious that the NOP did what they are supposed to do and searched before posting. It’s the replies to questions that were asked decades before that I side eye.

Newbies sometimes don't "get" forum etiquette at first

Excellent! Thanks Vlad.

I don’t mind the “I have a similar question” responses because then it is obvious that the NOP did what they are supposed to do and searched before posting. It’s the replies to questions that were asked decades before that I side eye.
I learned something here a long time ago that's been helpful....If want to search something using multiple words, I can use google, put in the search + purse forum.....often get a result that way that I wouldn't get just searching on PF