Travel Day Time Activities in Oahu-Honolulu in May?

I checked google and it says 28 miles. :smile: BTW, Ala Moana is very close to your hotel. Only about a mile?

Around what day are you going in May? I ask because there's something called Golden Week in Japan when so many people would be on vacation. I don't know about these economically challenging days, but Honolulu used to get packed with Japanese tourists taking advantage of that week.

I don't think renting a car after getting there would be tough to do. There was one time I couldn't get a car from anywhere at all but that was during Christmas. I don't know about Marriot but lots of hotels also have certain agreement with rental companies and set aside certain number of cars to be rented by the hotel guests. So the concierge would be able to book one for you if you are out of luck and can't find one. Perhaps you should call or email your hotel and ask if they offer such set up?

And it wouldn't hurt to book one before leaving if you can find a good deal somewhere, especially when you are planning to get pretty good use of it. Lots of places are easy to get to with buses and trolleys but since there are going to be four of you, having a rental would be totally worth the price.

ooo 28 miles isn't far at all! especially since it's via highway right? Thank you so much Nanami for looking it up for me :smile: I'm still making a list of stuff to do haha...so much good recommendations from you guys :biggrin:

We are for sure going May 19-24, hopefully it would not be that packed then..is it Nanami? I might just start searching for a car rental then...I don't think we would need it the whole time we are there since I think we want to spend at least 2 days in the waikiki area but the rest then I want to go around and go to the plantations, explore and do more physical/outdoor activities.

And actually there was a change of plan and we're staying at the Hilton in Waikiki instead but I think it's around the same area as the Marriot.

Nanami do you live in Hawaii? Or do you just like going there for vacations?

Lec: i would recommend getting a rental car reservation beforehand. sometimes there will be huge conventions at the convention center and if there is another event at the same time (i can remember there was a convention the same time as the probowl (i think) and the rental car area looked deserted) you could be out of luck. i always err on the side of caution when i travel lol.

i kind of feel embarrassed that i haven't done half the things mentioned. whenver i come to oahu, i head straight for ala moana lol.

I live on Oahu, and I did visit PCC once. I really did not like it, it was hot and there's only so many huts you can really look at. But it is probably the most cultural thing to do here besides the Palace, so if you like that kind of stuff go for it. I'd plan a whole day though, because it's pretty far from Waikiki and if you do the luau at night, you're pretty much there all day. It may not seem far, miles-wise, but the driving isn't all that fast. Rush hours are terrible during the week days, so either go around those times (6:30-9am, and 3:30-6:30pm), or go on a Sunday.

I really liked the military things, Arizona Memorial, and Mighty Mo. The view from Diamond Head is really nice, and the climb is very civilized (well marked trail and stairs). The Hilton is at the beginning of Waikiki, and not really "in" Waikiki, there's quite a stretch (on foot) to get into Waikiki proper.

One of my new favorite restaurants is called Doraku, it's in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. It's like Japanese/Pacific-rim tapas with great drinks!

Lec: i would recommend getting a rental car reservation beforehand. sometimes there will be huge conventions at the convention center and if there is another event at the same time (i can remember there was a convention the same time as the probowl (i think) and the rental car area looked deserted) you could be out of luck. i always err on the side of caution when i travel lol.

i kind of feel embarrassed that i haven't done half the things mentioned. whenver i come to oahu, i head straight for ala moana lol.

Hi Caley fellow-lv-lover :flowers: LOL I have a feeling I'll be like you and spend most of my time at ala moana...so I think i'm going to start looking for a rental for at least half of the time that I am there.

Bagaholic: I don't think we will go to the PPC...unless someone else in my group really wants to...but that's not really something for me. The hike to Diamond Head sounds really good and I'll defininetly look into that restaurant that you suggested thanks! :tup:

btw if the Hilton is on the outside of Waikiki....are we still able to get to the shopping center and clubs easily by bus?

ooo 28 miles isn't far at all! especially since it's via highway right? Thank you so much Nanami for looking it up for me :smile: I'm still making a list of stuff to do haha...so much good recommendations from you guys :biggrin:

We are for sure going May 19-24, hopefully it would not be that packed then..is it Nanami? I might just start searching for a car rental then...I don't think we would need it the whole time we are there since I think we want to spend at least 2 days in the waikiki area but the rest then I want to go around and go to the plantations, explore and do more physical/outdoor activities.

And actually there was a change of plan and we're staying at the Hilton in Waikiki instead but I think it's around the same area as the Marriot.

Nanami do you live in Hawaii? Or do you just like going there for vacations?

Nah... I wish I can live there some day. For now, I'm stuck in COLD NY.:sweatdrop:

I've been to Honolulu around the dates of your upcoming trip. I don't remember it being too crowded. Golden Week is much earlier than then.

By Hilton, do you mean Hilton Village? If so, yes, as someone else said, it's not exactly "in" Waikiki area. And it's very large complex of buildings that kind of feels like it's on its own. It's supposed to be really nice, with lots of shops, restaruants and activities inside the "village." A friend said when she went there with her family (quite long time ago though) they never had to leave it. I believe it's so big, they even got their own zip code.

I'd say traveling from Hilton to "more" Waikiki area can be easily done by taking the trolley. I remember it has its own stop. But as the complex is pretty big, it might be a long walk from the building you are staying in?

I would say, rent the car for about 3-4 days would be okay, as you don't really need a car to hang out in Wakiki area or go to Ala Moana Mall. But I have to say having the convenience of a rental sure beats having to wait for buses! Anywhere further than those busy areas of the island are just so much better to drive on your own.

I travel to Hawaii yearly,these are my faves:all of the activities can be done on your own,no need to go with a tour company.

Manoa Falls Trail-1 mile hike to 160ft high waterfall & very pretty.
Diamond Head Hike
Turtle Beach-lots of sea turtles!
Kuli'ou'ou Ridge Trail-long,strenous 1800ft hike to the top of a ridge,rewarded with beautiful views!
Snorkel at Shark's cove,north shore, the drive to the North Shore is beautiful.
Definitely visit the Palace,Chinatown & learn how to surf!

Parts of Waikiki Beach can be very overcrowded, but if you head towards the Hilton hawaiian Village they have a spectacular beach,wide & long. Also the calmest waters, on Fridays, they have a fireworks show.

I travel to Hawaii yearly,these are my faves:all of the activities can be done on your own,no need to go with a tour company.

Diamond Head Hike
Kuli'ou'ou Ridge Trail-long,strenous 1800ft hike to the top of a ridge,rewarded with beautiful views!

Parts of Waikiki Beach can be very overcrowded, but if you head towards the Hilton hawaiian Village they have a spectacular beach,wide & long. Also the calmest waters, on Fridays, they have a fireworks show.

thanks for your input hawaiiorchid :smile: Will have to definetly try to check out all of those trails!

The swap meet is still there at the aloha statium on wed sat sun. You can get a shuttle from your hotel. They do barder a bit.there is also a outlet mall if you have a car, it is not big but there is coach there.i think it is called wailkele ( not sure spelling). I often travel by myself so i go out to the mall for dinner the food court is huge.

id say go waimea on the north shore .. its usually less crowded there and nicer... u can jump off the cliff too ( i personally never tried it because im scared ). kailua beach is nice too. eat at the shrimp trunks around the north shore. waikiki is great at night. sea life park idk how it is there now, i havent been there since my field trips in elementary. So basically on the whole, i suggest you get a rental! that way you see the real side of hawaii.. not just the touristy spots. if you would like more specific info (i live on oahu) just PM me and ill try to answer ur questions as best as possible :smile:

id say go waimea on the north shore .. its usually less crowded there and nicer... u can jump off the cliff too ( i personally never tried it because im scared ). kailua beach is nice too. eat at the shrimp trunks around the north shore. waikiki is great at night. sea life park idk how it is there now, i havent been there since my field trips in elementary. So basically on the whole, i suggest you get a rental! that way you see the real side of hawaii.. not just the touristy spots. if you would like more specific info (i live on oahu) just PM me and ill try to answer ur questions as best as possible :smile:

omg...jump of a cliff?! How high?...I know this sounds crazy....but I would so do that! And thanks for the input Erin :smile: BTW do you recommend any good eating spots? Both pricey and casual? We love fresh seafood, so any place that offers good seafood is always a plus :tup:

btw thank you for everyone's input! I'm going to try and jam in as much activities as possible :biggrin:

Diamond Head Hike

We did all these things last week, except for snorkeling. Being winter, it was a lot more rainy and windy and there was only 1 sea turtle.

We also did the Makapuu point hike up to the light house (very easy paved hike), as well as the Tropical farm tour. We did the tropical farm tour sort of instead of the Polynesian culture center because we didn't want to spend $200-$400 on the cultural center. The tropical farm tour was only $15 per person (they also have free macadamia and kona coffee there but I'd just sample and not buy it since I bought a couple bags and they tasted stale).

Attachments

• Tropical farm.JPG
    Tropical farm.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 74
  • makapuu.JPG
    makapuu.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 94
We did all these things last week, except for snorkeling. Being winter, it was a lot more rainy and windy and there was only 1 sea turtle.

We also did the Makapuu point hike up to the light house (very easy paved hike), as well as the Tropical farm tour. We did the tropical farm tour sort of instead of the Polynesian culture center because we didn't want to spend $200-$400 on the cultural center. The tropical farm tour was only $15 per person (they also have free macadamia and kona coffee there but I'd just sample and not buy it since I bought a couple bags and they tasted stale).

The Makapuu Point is a great and easy hike and you're rewarded with great views! During whale season, you get to see whales breaching. If you find this hike to easy,there is a side trail located behind the signs that talks about the whales right before you get to the light house. It takes you down to the ocean,its steep & could be dangerous if you do not have a good footing. We did it and it was exciting!