Travel Day Time Activities in Oahu-Honolulu in May?

Can I suggest some local "eats"? (Since everytime I go to Hawaii, I eat and that is a good part of my "daytime activities" :P)

1. Sam Choy's (Nimitz highway) for breakfast
2. Liliha bakery for coco puffs (choc pudd/cream filled cream puffs with a dolop of "Chantilly"-butter and sugar)
3. Rainbow Drive in for fried rice (they sell out quick)
4. Leonard's (malasadas)
5. Zippy's (kinda like a Denny's but they are known for their signature Chili) and get an apple turnover "Napple" from Napoleon's bakery.
6. Like Like Drive Inn (great Loco Moco-rice, gravy, hamburger patty, egg "heart attack in a bowl")

A lot of these places can be googled for their exact location.

Can I suggest some local "eats"? (Since everytime I go to Hawaii, I eat and that is a good part of my "daytime activities" :P)

1. Sam Choy's (Nimitz highway) for breakfast
2. Liliha bakery for coco puffs (choc pudd/cream filled cream puffs with a dolop of "Chantilly"-butter and sugar)
3. Rainbow Drive in for fried rice (they sell out quick)
4. Leonard's (malasadas)
5. Zippy's (kinda like a Denny's but they are known for their signature Chili) and get an apple turnover "Napple" from Napoleon's bakery.
6. Like Like Drive Inn (great Loco Moco-rice, gravy, hamburger patty, egg "heart attack in a bowl")

A lot of these places can be googled for their exact location.

OMG PERFECT! thank you kmh! I live for good food :biggrin:

btw what's malasadas?

OMG PERFECT! thank you kmh! I live for good food :biggrin:

btw what's malasadas?

It's a deep-fried doughnut made from Portuguese sweet bread. You can get them filled with chocolate and stuff. If you can get them hot and fresh, they are 100X better than Krispy Creme. Have fun in Hawaii!

i agree with most of the others. diamond head is a must, lanikai beach is beauuutiful and yes, the water is so calm there that canoeing is very relaxing and nice. i'm surprised no one mentioned pearl harbor. also, both germaine's luau and paradise cove luau are good but germaine's is smaller and more interactive, but you can catch a very beautiful sunset while at paradise cove.

have fun :smile: i miss hawaii now!

When I went kayaking in Kailua (go early because I think it gets windy in the late afternoons if I remember correctly), we saw large tortoises in the water and we got so excited that we screamed and scared them away!

Definitely get a car because it's just easier to do things, especially if you want to venture around the island. Waikiki is gorgeous but gets old pretty quickly. I personally loved the drive to PCC and North Shore.

Yes, the speed limit isn't that high, but you're in HAWAII!!! Enjoy the air, lush mountains, scenery, watching locals having their picnics and surfing... When we went to PCC, we loved stopping frequently just to check out either scenery or roadside stands (for food!). I remember getting a few bags of fresh, delicious lychees YUM! from a dude on a truck.

On the way to North Shore, you can also check out the Ko Olina beaches, which are actually man-made beaches (they used dynamite and blew out I think 4 holes). It was fun to check these out. Also on the way to NS, I think is the Dole Plantation... isn't it?

Oh how I miss Hawaii.

And lastly, you do NOT need to dress up while you are in Hawaii. Dress is EXTREMELY casual. Even when going out at night. I remember not wearing any of the clothes I brought, and instead went to Old Navy and got a bunch of things that I wore while I was there.

^ great tips thanks!

I don't think I'll be wearing anything fancy...just maybe jeans mini skirts and sun dresses.

can't wait...2 more months to go...so excited! I'm really excited to do all of the outdoor activities...especially snorkeling and scuba diving :biggrin:

You can ditch the jeans, don't worry about it! Anyone who tells you that it may get chilly... well, you're from the Bay Area & have suffered worse. Save the room in your suitcase for other stuff!

I have to definitely recommend Manoa Falls! Well, it is the only hiking trail I go on (I need to diversify, lol), but it's absolutely gorgeous, serene, peaceful, etc. There's a waterfall at the very top -- sort of like a reward for your hike! It's very tourist-friendly, I always see tons of tourists (not a bad thing, it's not that crowded). Parking is $5, but admission is free.

Last edited:
You can ditch the jeans, don't worry about it! Anyone who tells you that it may get chilly... well, you're from the Bay Area & have suffered worse. Save the room in your suitcase for other stuff!

I have to definitely recommend Manoa Falls! Well, it is the only hiking trail I go on (I need to diversify, lol), but it's absolutely gorgeous, serene, peaceful, etc. There's a waterfall at the very top -- sort of like a reward for your hike! It's very tourist-friendly, I always see tons of tourists (not a bad thing, it's not that crowded). Parking is $5, but admission is free.

ooo we will def have to hit manoa falls...it's not that bad of a climb is it?

oh... no jeans for me..i meant jeans-mini-skirts hehe I think i'm going to bring dresses or skirts..I heard it's pretty hot there in May :shrugs:

edit: ot but vinyl..I obsessed with a bow in alluminio or grey too...are you going to get the new gray one?

ooo we will def have to hit manoa falls...it's not that bad of a climb is it?

edit: ot but vinyl..I obsessed with a bow in alluminio or grey too...are you going to get the new gray one?

It's not a bad climb at all! I took my friends' grandparents & they did fine, haha. I see a lot of kids, pets & elderly people... very nice hike. You can obtain a walking stick if you want (I don't know how, but I've seen people with them).

I am in love with season 1 (the season in which Alluminio was released)... I don't really care for the new colors! :sad:

^ yeh same here...i perfer the more matte leather...but i can't find it anywhere so I think i will have the settle for the new ones :/ hopefully once you use it a lot..then it'll break in nicely.

and yay that it's not a scary climb! I don't really care but my bf does...haha i know...but he's really wary about doing stuff like that hehe.

have anyone gone swimming with the dolphins? how was it? is it worth it?

Hope you don't mind me reviving this thread!

I'm heading to Waikiki at the end of the month-one of the things I was planning on doing was going to visit Pearl Harbour. But I've heard terrible things about the long wait to get into the memorial, and that you better get there EARLY EARLY if you want to get tickets. My DBF isn't really into touristy things, and while he'd like to go and see it, neither of us are really gung-ho to wake up that early to wait around.

I was wondering-can you still get a good view of Pearl Harbour without actually going on/into the memorial? Could we enjoy it from afar and still get a pretty good experience?

check out duke's bar on waikiki beach
rent a jeep and drive around island
take a catamaran ride
pearl harbor
shop at the international market
snorkel at hunama (sp?) bay

You really should go into the memorial at Pearl Harbor. It's really not the same as just seeing it from afar, which you probably will from the plane coming in. There's also a submarine nearby that you can go see while you wait, and there's the Mighty Mo too. You could go to Pearl Harbor, get tickets and depending on how much time you have, do the submarine and Might Mo, then come back.

Also, make sure you rent a car, the cabs are pricey and hard to find. Don't wait till you get here to do that, reserve it in advance.