Darkened/Warmed Handles: color, condition, and comments

Handle condition: Is it an issue for you when buying?

• Yes, I'm turned off by bags that have darkened handles, won't buy 'em

• No, the leather of the body is what counts. If it's lovely, I'm sold!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think it's a climate issue. The sealant cracks from the leather being flexed. The sealant is flexible but less so than leather so when the bag is used and the leather stretches and flexes the sealant gives way and cracks. :sad:

Leather sealants are resin and/or soft acrylic. Lubriderm and stuff with oil can make it worse because oil lifts it sort of the way that peanut butter can help get a wad of gum out of a kid's hair. Most glues would also be bad because they dry less flexible that the sealant and then everything cracks more.

I've had good success with an acrylic based clear glaze used for craft projects that I got from Michael's craft store. I took a thin tipped artist brush and carefully flowed the glaze on the cracked sealant. It filled in the cracks and rebonded the original sealant so it no longer was about to flake off. Dried flexible too. I had to look really close to even see the original cracks.

I don't know if the product I got was the best solution, but I think going in the direction of flexible acrylic/resin glaze is best. Also, if you google leather edge sealer, there are specific products like Fiebing's Edge Kote or Enamel (they make a colorless version). I keep meaning to order one of these to use the next time I see some cracking on one of my bbags. Since I can't match the bag colors, I want to make sure I reinforce or patch the cracking sealant with a clear coat before any color flakes off.

i wouldn't say normal but it doesn't seem to be a rare problem! Also others have mentioned that they have not seen this happen to older bags (2005 or older).

It happened to my 06 grenat city about 4 weeks after I started using it :sad: It does make me a little mad, because these bags are not exactly cheap, so they should be so cheaply made that they show defects like this after so little use!

Here's a pic of mine:
IMG_2085.jpg

This is by the o-ring attached to the shoulder strap. I have this same issue on lots of other spots on this bag tho :sad:

this has happened to my 05 white day, but it's so old and used that it doesn't bother me at this point. it hasn't happened on any of the other bags i've had, but maybe because i don't use them as much. i would be pretty upset if this happened to them...it's the sort of thing that i've noticed on cheap handbags after a short period of time (there was a time in my life when i carried cheapies - eek!). seeing as bbags cost at least 10x more, this should not be happening.

but i agree with verty, the leather still looks wonderful though :]

one last thought - do you overstuff your first? i may be wrong, but maybe the bag is just taking too much weight and wears out that part near the o-ring quickly :/

Thanks for the info adoptastray, simmmchen and evilarchitect.

This bag, being my first Bbag I knew i had to keep in mind some common problems: splitting tassels, darkening handles, possible yellowing... and now this!

I'm going to try the flexible acrylic sealant idea, I have some at home (I enjoy acrylic painting).

Overstuff? hmm i try not to but there have been a couple times it was very full. One time i had a small bottle of water in it. :s I'm going to need to be even more careful with this bag :sad:

Don't worry about overstuffing your bag! I am pretty sure it does not have anything to do with that, because it has happened on a different part of my city as well: the side of the opening. Hard to explain, but here's a pic:
IMG_2081.jpg

I don't think it is a problem to carry a small water bottle in a First!

Thank goodness we're not the only ones with this problem! adoptastray - thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to try that. Mine's not bad at all, but I definitely want to stop it before it gets worse!

Help! I just got my 1st bbag less than a month ago. Its a VG city and I love her to death...however! I just noticed today that on the handles where the string wraps around the handle...on the edges of the handle where there is the rubber/paint on the leather edge it is starting to crack.

Does this make sense? In some places if I look carefully, i can even see the natural leather color. Its not very noticeable, I just noticed it because I inspect her every day but i am worried this is not normal...Any help or advice?

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 260
I've had good success with an acrylic based clear glaze used for craft projects that I got from Michael's craft store. I took a thin tipped artist brush and carefully flowed the glaze on the cracked sealant. It filled in the cracks and rebonded the original sealant so it no longer was about to flake off. Dried flexible too. I had to look really close to even see the original cracks.

Adoptastray, do you have a brand name for the glaze that you bought? Was it in the paint / art supplies section or elsewhere? Thanks so much!