Damier and Mono leather

I'm not understanding -- isn't the ebene leather on the damier a different type of leather? It is finished and treated while the monogram vachetta is naked and untreated. The vachetta should be more pliable than the damier's leather. I thought the two canvas styles were identical in fabric except for the pattern. I've never examined my damier vs the monogram canvas as far as heft and weight; I thought they were the same with different leather trim.
--Judy --> who is confused

Don't worry, youre not being to neurotic! =) I notice the same differences in my bags too. The leather being treated on the damier probably contributes to the difference in stiffness but even amongst mono speedies there is a difference in the texture and stiffness of the leather. Of my speedies, I have one where the leather is pretty stiff. With pressure or pulling either from my fingers or weight of the lock the leather does not wrinkle or feel very pliable. The leather on this speedy is very tough and seems to be very durable and resistant to harm. However, for my other speedy the leather is very cushiony and soft. When I bend the tab the leather wrinkles. The weight of the lock seems to stretch the hole and I just know that if I put a fingernail on the tab, it would leave an imprint. I personally prefer the tougher leather.

Don't worry, youre not being to neurotic! =) I notice the same differences in my bags too. The leather being treated on the damier probably contributes to the difference in stiffness but even amongst mono speedies there is a difference in the texture and stiffness of the leather. Of my speedies, I have one where the leather is pretty stiff. With pressure or pulling either from my fingers or weight of the lock the leather does not wrinkle or feel very pliable. The leather on this speedy is very tough and seems to be very durable and resistant to harm. However, for my other speedy the leather is very cushiony and soft. When I bend the tab the leather wrinkles. The weight of the lock seems to stretch the hole and I just know that if I put a fingernail on the tab, it would leave an imprint. I personally prefer the tougher leather.
Yes thats exactly what i meant, thank you!

The Damier canvas is much more stiff than the mono. I have a ribera gm, and a keepall 50. When both are standing up, the mono will begin to fold onto itself and become limp. The damier does not behave the same way. That is one reason I prefer my luggage to be Damier, and my accessories to be Mono. There is a difference in durability, in my opinion... If you scratch the canvases with your nails, you can hear the difference.

Great post. I just bought my damier ebene speedy 30 yesterday. Let me start by saying that the SA at LV initially told me they were 'probably were out of stock' but spoke to a manager, went to the back room, and told me, 'it is your lucky day, this is the only one we have.' So of course I grabbed it, delighted to have the LAST one.

But as I got home, I started comparing it to my Mono speedy 30 and noticed some differences:

Why does the gold hardware look brighter -- is it because it is new, or has the hardware color changed slightly over the last few years? Perhaps, but I can't get over it looking somehow more light gold. And the font size on the rivets is slightly different than on my mono.

Why is the canvas stiffer than the mono?

Why does my gold padlock only say Paris, instead of also saying Made in France as my mono lock does?

This post addressed some of these questions but feel free to give me some feedback. I'm admitted neurotic about purchases.

I am in no means an LV expert but I do own a Damier Ebene Speedy 35 and have done a lot of reasearching...

I don't know about the hardware differences but the canvas is treated differently which is why it's more stiff and as far as the lock goes... Where was your bag made? If it was made in the USA like mine the lock will not say "made in France" because it's from the USA too.

My bag as the same characteristics as yours and I bought mine from a LV boutique as well.

So happy to know I'm not the only one who has little freak outs about her bags! xoxo

Great post. I just bought my damier ebene speedy 30 yesterday. Let me start by saying that the SA at LV initially told me they were 'probably were out of stock' but spoke to a manager, went to the back room, and told me, 'it is your lucky day, this is the only one we have.' So of course I grabbed it, delighted to have the LAST one.

But as I got home, I started comparing it to my Mono speedy 30 and noticed some differences:

Why does the gold hardware look brighter -- is it because it is new, or has the hardware color changed slightly over the last few years? Perhaps, but I can't get over it looking somehow more light gold. And the font size on the rivets is slightly different than on my mono.

Why does my gold padlock only say Paris, instead of also saying Made in France as my mono lock does?

This post addressed some of these questions but feel free to give me some feedback. I'm admitted neurotic about purchases.

I was freaking out too because my damier ebene speedy 30 had a lock that only said "Paris" but I did some researching on TPF and the older locks actually have the Made in France on the lock and the newer ones just say Paris.

The canvas bags have stitching-- the monogram has a minimal amount of gold stitching for the logos, so it is less stiff of a fabric. The Damier is woven basketweave-style to make the checkered canvas, so it's actually like a double knit canvas, much thicker. Both are coated of course. Hope that makes sense.

i hate to disappoint you...

but both Monogram and Damier are printed canvas.