"Damaged/defective" Birkin 30cm - what to do?

I agree with the others. If you got a good deal, I'd understand the repairs needed but if not, you may consider returning it. I recently almost purchased a kelly and it's handle would have needed replacement and that costs a lot and takes time and the seller neither disclosed it or offer reasonable discount so I returned it.
I'm sure you'll find good bags with patience.

I do remember this happening to bags in the past -- not even as a result of heavy wear. If you got a decent price, like the bag otherwise, I would use it until it needed a spa for other reasons (e.g. corner wear) and have it fixed then. I don't think it is all that noticeable by someone standing a reasonable space away from you. And some people don't put the lock on the bag as it adds a little weight.

It should have been disclosed, but I don't think it's a catastrophe.

Reactions: doloresmia and appl
I do remember this happening to bags in the past -- not even as a result of heavy wear. If you got a decent price, like the bag otherwise, I would use it until it needed a spa for other reasons (e.g. corner wear) and have it fixed then. I don't think it is all that noticeable by someone standing a reasonable space away from you. And some people don't put the lock on the bag as it adds a little weight.

It should have been disclosed, but I don't think it's a catastrophe.
Agreed. You can buy the lock for $300 or so I think. I never wear mine on the bag.

I remember reading posts regarding the leather buckling under the plate of the strap. As Rouge H stated, easily fixable. A new clochette can be ordered from Hermes. I ordered one for my Birkin a few years ago and the cost was 250 US. It took three months to arrive and the original lock and key were easy to attach.