customs issues on carrying python gaufre bag from denmark to US

anusa

O.G.
Apr 25, 2008
Hi Every one
Actually this never striked me before but my mom who is a Hermes lover came up with this.
My mom will be travelling from Denmark to US and she wants to bring her python gauffre along.(As a gift for my new found love for designers). She is not sure if Prada gives a cites or not quite like Hermes. She did not get one when she purchased it in Europe. The customs at US is pretty strict.I was wondering :confused1:
1- does python skin really come in questionable exotics.(KWIM??)(I tried searching there data base but they only have scientific names and it is a huge huuuuuuuge list)
2-Does prada also give cites
3- If it does not, then what is recourse if you want to bring The Bag to US.

Any help on this issue will be appreciated
TIA

AFAIK, python leather is illegal for import and sale in some, but not all states. I know for a fact that it is illegal in California for import and sale, but it's legal to bring your own python across state lines, as long as you don't plan to sell it. Where is your mom headed in the USA?

hi thankyou Fifth element
Georgia Atlanta(this is where she will live mostly
but she will be going to lasvegas and california as well along with new york
what do u suggest do we need any papers for cali atall
AFAIK, python leather is illegal for import and sale in some, but not all states. I know for a fact that it is illegal in California for import and sale, but it's legal to bring your own python across state lines, as long as you don't plan to sell it. Where is your mom headed in the USA?

She will definitely need proof of purchase from the boutique be it a receipt or invoice. You may also want to check with the US customs website for appropriate forms. As long as she can prove that she is not planning to resell it, it should be okay.

You can also do a search on the Hermes forum. They are very knowledgeable about traveling with exotics.

I do know that I was 'warned' once about carrying my vintage ivory bangles at Los Angeles. I had purchased the jewelery in LA and they are vintage but could not prove it since I did not have the original receipts. Customs' eagle eye spotted them on me and told me that I would have to provide proof of purchase next time.

The worst case scenario is that the bag gets confiscated until your mum departs from the US. So be sure to ask all questions first!

no I dont as of now but if custom people are a bit considerate i sure will have it
why do u think I am so concerned :graucho:this is goin to be my b'day gift;) but to really get it there is lots that I have to research. For now I cam to know that we may require a cites. I am researching on it

thanks linpaddy. I never knew ivory could also be an issue. I have so many jewellery peices in ivory and they are all from india and I never bothered to keep the receipts.
I will never wear them to cali now
My mom does have the reciept of the bag though thankfully as that will surely be required.

thanks linpaddy. I never knew ivory could also be an issue. I have so many jewellery peices in ivory and they are all from india and I never bothered to keep the receipts.
I will never wear them to cali now
My mom does have the reciept of the bag though thankfully as that will surely be required.

Just want to add that vintage pre-ban ivory is okay if you can provide paperwork. The United States and many countries ban the import/export/sale of ivory. Hence, you will need to prove that your ivory items were purchased/acquired before the pre-ban period. Or that your items were made during the pre-ban period if you've purchased them as vintage pieces.

All my ivory jewelery are vintage and pre-ban. I like elephants too much to buy new ivory! :yes:

IMO, it's just too much hassle to carry paperwork.

Also note that customs can make you declare the value of your personal belongings if they exceed a certain value. That includes the $10k Hermes birkin!!!

My ivory is much much aged.I mean it is much older than the ban. I believe the youngest of my ivory belongs to 1932. So I guess that should be pre- ban. I dont have paper work as it was an inheritance. Some that I purchased from authorised and legal auction houses do have paper work but I will definitely have to search it down.

I am aware that customs does make us declare the personal belongings above certain limit. I never carried designer bags but once did tfrred my gold jewellery to USA which i had declared ofcourse. The customes never made any issue of it though. I travel a lot accross borders.
Hermes has cites usually so they are not huge issues in terms of exotics but yes I guess they too have to be declared

Just want to add that vintage pre-ban ivory is okay if you can provide paperwork. The United States and many countries ban the import/export/sale of ivory. Hence, you will need to prove that your ivory items were purchased/acquired before the pre-ban period. Or that your items were made during the pre-ban period if you've purchased them as vintage pieces.

All my ivory jewelery are vintage and pre-ban. I like elephants too much to buy new ivory! :yes:

IMO, it's just too much hassle to carry paperwork.

Also note that customs can make you declare the value of your personal belongings if they exceed a certain value. That includes the $10k Hermes birkin!!!

Sounds like we are both fans of antique and vintage jewelery! :graucho:

I had customs go through my luggage once and they didn't even blink at my exotic bags. Very strange since they gave me a lecture on my jewelery.

But yes, it's always best to travel with paperwork!

ohhhhh yes I sure am a fan of antique and vintage jewellery
I am only concerned about the bag for now. Infact since I never carried any exotic bags I never knew they could be an issue. let ssee how things unravel.

Sounds like we are both fans of antique and vintage jewelery! :graucho:

I had customs go through my luggage once and they didn't even blink at my exotic bags. Very strange since they gave me a lecture on my jewelery.

But yes, it's always best to travel with paperwork!