Curling iron vs. hot rollers?

I cannot use a curling iron to save my life, it always comes out funny, so I use a flat iron to curl my hair.

but.. I would chose a curling iron instead of hot rollers since I bought these hot rollers and I got some decent results, I like very loose wavy curls like Serena van der Woodsen on Gossip Girl. I got those results but since I only had 1 set of rollers by the time I was done with the right side of my head the left side became un wavy and it's as if I didn't use the rollers. I didn't use any product on my hair 'cause I don't like product it makes me feel dirty for some reason.

So if I had to choose I would say the curling iron even thought I cannot use one to save my life.

I have naturally wavy hair with a tendency to frizz which I blame on the weather. Curling irons and curls using a straightener usually don't last long on my hair and don't give me the volume i love around my scalp.

I've recently purchased babyliss ceramic heated curlers and I love the look they give my hair- glamourous put together curls and waves that with a little bit of hair spray last till I go to bed :smile: Plus I enjoy drinking coffee and doing work in the morning with curlers in my hair- don't ask!

Hot rollers! The velvet-covered ones are not as drying on my hair as a metal curling iron and the curls last all day; curling iron only lasts a couple hours. You have to let your hair completely cool after you take the rollers out before you run your fingers through to keep the curl better. And I agree with the poster above to only roll the rollers up to about your ear, that way you get softer, bouncy curls instead of poof.

For me curling iron is faster and easier to control than hot rollers. It seems so easy for everyone else but so hard for me to get the hot rollers to work.

I use Caruso steam curlers from Sally Beauty Supply - these type of curlers are the only ones that give lasting results for me. I have silky hair that usually just lies flat - if I use a curling iron - even with hair spray, after 2 hours, my hair is back to flat!

http://www.sallybeauty.com/steam-rollers /SBS-561030,default,pd.html

The Caruso steam curlers are not like your usual hot rollers that come in a box that heats up - this one comes with a little water container with a spout - you place the foam curlers one at a time on the spout - leave it for around 10 seconds, and then place it in your hair. You leave the curlers in for around 15 minutes, and then undo them. The curl is set in your hair until your next shampoo.

I am still trying to figure out the best way to use these though, as I don't like ringlets. Often, I curl my hair at night, undo the curlers and go to sleep - by morning my hair is wavy, with curly ends, but not out of control pouf-y!

p.s. 2 pluses I forgot to mention - 1) you don't need to use ANY product with this to hold the curl in 2) the heat is steam, and doesn't damage your hair at all - in fact, it leaves it shiny

I can't curl my hair with a curling iron, or a flat iron, to save my gaga curls. But with the above product, it's fast, easy, and the velvet cover protects my hair. I roll up to my ears, just roughly sectioning my thick, coloured hair and with the clamps, held the rollers for ten minutes and out it comes nice and soft. Comb out and voila, perfect waves! I teased out the end with hair serum to make it shiny. Attached link shows a picture of my Gaga curls... on the lady herself.

http://celebrity-mania.com/images/bgphoto/img/100227P3_GAGA_B-GR_01.jpg

Last edited: