Covid-19 Quarantine Beauty Tips

I got a box of hair color for the first time ever & I'm ¹1¹scared of it. :hrmm: Have never done my own hair. It is permanent color as I understand that semi-perm won't cover gray.
I know stylists do not want us to use boxed color - all the ones at my salon are saying wait, but I don't know exactly the reasons why. Anyone?

Reactions: limom
Has anyone attempted coloring their own hair yet for the first time?
Just my 2 cents: DON’T DO IT. Try to hold off for your stylist if you can. I’m not a stylist but I’ve been going through months of a color correction and lots and lots of money all due to permanent hair color. My correction still isn’t fully done but it looks a lot better. I was due and had an appointment for another session this month. Our state will likely open in a few weeks. Even though I need a coloring, I’m holding off. I’m not the only one needing it around my area so I don’t feel so self conscious. I don’t care if my roots or grays grow out to my earlobes, I’ll wait until I can get to my stylist even if it’s not until fall (and I’m a person who has never skipped my 7-8 week or so color appointment in over 25-30 years) I learned my lesson. My advice is to be patient and leave it to the professional. Also, make sure to check the reviews on Madison Reed. If you proceed, I hope it turns out beautifully. There are a few stylists on the forum so maybe they’ll chime in. From my lay person POV - Don’t do it! Wait for your stylist. Be patient.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents: DON’T DO IT. Try to hold off for your stylist if you can. I’m not a stylist but I’ve been going through months of a color correction and lots and lots of money all due to permanent hair color. My correction still isn’t fully done but it looks a lot better. I was due and had an appointment for another session this month. Our state will likely open in a few weeks. Even though I need a coloring, I’m holding off. I’m not the only one needing it around my area so I don’t feel so self conscious. I don’t care if my roots or grays grow out to my earlobes, I’ll wait until I can get to my stylist even if it’s not until fall (and I’m a person who has never skipped my 7-8 week or so color appointment in over 25-30 years) I learned my lesson. My advice is to be patient and leave it to the professional. Also, make sure to check the reviews on Madison Reed. If you proceed, I hope it turns out beautifully. There are a few stylists on the forum so maybe they’ll chime in. From my lay person POV - Don’t do it! Wait for your stylist. Be patient.
Thank you for responding!
I haven't done it yet - still too scared. The color is somewhat lighter than my own as I read (and read) up on it, & every site said the color would be darker than in the box. Madison Reed gets good reviews. Of course I would do a patch test first. I too had an appt just as my state GA shut down. My stylist had taken a vacation so my monthly appt (my hair grows fast) was already overdue on my appt. date. Now it's at 8 weeks. :doh:

Reactions: Ms.Dixie
Has anyone attempted coloring their own hair yet for the first time?
Technical difficulties today....sorry....
I was responding that yes I highlighted my hair and was pleased with the result. Why not try a strand test or two as sometimes different areas of our hair are different colors.
I might do it again as my gut feeling is our Salons will not open until June.

Reactions: limom and Lilybarb
I haven’t colored my hair for a long time, when I first worked COViD, I washed my hair twice a day, I don’t think my hair will survive that until I decided to do double caps at work. Last weekend, my co-worker trimmed my hair on ends and most said my greys does not look bad, so I might just let it be and see how it looks when it all evens out.

Reactions: limom and Lilybarb
I was responding that yes I highlighted my hair and was pleased with the result. Why not try a strand test or two as sometimes different areas of our hair are different colors.
Hey Mrs.Z - glad your highlights came out well! That to me would be even more frightening than all over color lol. I will sure do a patch test or two - thank you. I actually think the length & feel is bothering me more than the roots. I have really thick hair so if I put volumizer in it the roots are mostly hidden....sort of. ;)

I haven’t colored my hair for a long time, when I first worked COViD, I washed my hair twice a day, I don’t think my hair will survive that until I decided to do double caps at work. Last weekend, my co-worker trimmed my hair on ends and most said my greys does not look bad, so I might just let it be and see how it looks when it all evens out.
We're always our own toughest critics aren't we. :smile:
Happy your associate was able to trim you up! Just a little can make a significant improvement in how it feels.

Reactions: zinacef
Well, I did the unthinkable and used a box color.
I did the clairol root touch up. It is not the best but I could not stand looking at my hair any longer.
I can only see the front and it is ok. What do you want for $7?
Worst comes to worst, My stylist will do a balayage later on.
My hair does not feel any different than from when I come back from the salon....
If only, I could do a decent manicure/pedicure now...

Can you elaborate on the products you used/video you watched?
Any tips?

Can you elaborate on the products you used/video you watched?
Any tips?
Sure...but keep in mind I have NO professional hair experience. I didn’t watch any videos. I tried but most of them were too complicated.

I guess my natural color is dirty blond on the top and light brown toward the back/bottom. I used Colour Freedom cream bleach and let it develop for 25 mins on top and probably 30-35 at the back. I think the back probably needed 10 more mins as some parts were brassy and not light enough.

Using hair Color or covering grey is more complicated (I think) so I can’t speak about any of that.

I found Colour Freedom cream bleach on Target.com and it had good reviews and stated it lifts blonds 8 or 9 levels or shades so I knew that would likely work for me.

Another piece of advice......the root needs more time to develop than the rest of the strand (you could risk damaging the ends if they process the same time as the root) .....so I basically put the bleach on the root and slightly lower and then painted it down the piece of hair after a bit of time. (Obviously if you were using color you would just do your roots and then maybe your whole head for a short time at the end if I recall correctly from dying my hair years and years ago with box color.)

Disclaimer: I have ZERO professional experience in hair!!!!!! Try it at your own risk after a few strand tests! My hair stylist told me not to do it so of course I did. It was a rouge experiment based on common sense and several strand tests over a few days.

Good Luck and Stay Blonde!

Sure...but keep in mind I have NO professional hair experience. I didn’t watch any videos. I tried but most of them were too complicated.

I guess my natural color is dirty blond on the top and light brown toward the back/bottom. I used Colour Freedom cream bleach and let it develop for 25 mins on top and probably 30-35 at the back. I think the back probably needed 10 more mins as some parts were brassy and not light enough.

Using hair Color or covering grey is more complicated (I think) so I can’t speak about any of that.

I found Colour Freedom cream bleach on Target.com and it had good reviews and stated it lifts blonds 8 or 9 levels or shades so I knew that would likely work for me.

Another piece of advice......the root needs more time to develop than the rest of the strand (you could risk damaging the ends if they process the same time as the root) .....so I basically put the bleach on the root and slightly lower and then painted it down the piece of hair after a bit of time. (Obviously if you were using color you would just do your roots and then maybe your whole head for a short time at the end if I recall correctly from dying my hair years and years ago with box color.)

Disclaimer: I have ZERO professional experience in hair!!!!!! Try it at your own risk after a few strand tests! My hair stylist told me not to do it so of course I did. It was a rouge experiment based on common sense and several strand tests over a few days.

Good Luck and Stay Blonde!
Thanks. I am a brunet and was thinking I could do a discreet balayage...
Heck I already did the roots, why stop now?:biggrin: