Covid-19 Changed The Way We Shop

I go to shops in my town more than usual.
Because all the shops are struggling now.
I see it as my duty to support them now.
ITA. During covid, DH and I voluntarily self isolated for something like eight weeks and I only ordered remotely and cooked exclusively. Now that it’s been safer in NYC, I try to support local business. But, I go to buy necessities in off hours and am in and out very quickly. I haven’t gone into department stores or big chain stores. I don’t really go into Whole Foods much anymore. I’d rather go into boutiques and prefer ones where I already have relationships and can merely text an SA, not have to make a formal appt.I wear a washable mask and washable touch screen gannett brand gloves.

• Love
Reactions: RT1
So in search of a microwave when mine broke I went to both Target and Walmart and did not observe this. Walmart was way more crowded than Target. This might be a state to state thing. Actually the in-person check out had no wait at Target but self-checkout had a huge line. I tried to do pay online curbside pickup for Walmart and found out they didn’t do it at the store I went to so that was annoying.
Yes it's a state by state restriction of how many people can be in an establishment. Costco is limiting customers in their stores Bjs is not doing this. I noticed a big difference when I went out of state at the height of the pandemic to get into banks that was closed in my area and to pick up essentials in certain states where the restrictions was loosened.

It changed our routine back in March, by now we're used to sticking to the local grocery store & farmers market which one of us shops at, once a week. Anything else we get online from small/medium sized business, highly diversified & "all over the country" actually.

So far, as I/we can tell, at least one of our favorite restaurants is gone, and also at least one of our vendor's at the farmers market in the next bigger city closed down.

Since "leisure" shopping in our city is and was incredible hard/complicated anyway, I guess there will be a large fallout, although businesses/vendors are allowed to stay open during current "lockdown light" if they have a hygienic concept. But that didn't need Covid if you ask me, I couldn't even get a pair of quality boxers in this city/locally if my life depended on it before Covid ...

Kind regards,
Oliver

When Covid first struck in NYC, I did not leave my apartment for almost two months with the exception of two quick grocery trip/pharmacy visits. Now that our numbers are low, I shop on occasion but always with a KF94 mask. Some things I have delivered, but if the item is very expensive I will only go in person (such as a luxury item).

I went months without shopping and now am making up for it. I’m not sure why but the last two months I’ve just wanted to buy. Maybe it’s because I felt deprived for months on end (it has been really tough on me at home). I’m also back at work so that’s that. Now I am mostly back on ban island until 2021.

Make-up shopping wise for work is a bit of a double-edged sword, as the brick-and-mortar stores have slow people traffic - which is good! And sold-out popular products - which is bad. And some stores have cut back on their hours or are by appointment only and are closed on the weekends. However, online shopping is great as they have product in stock and some brands are offering discounts.

Last edited:
I've actually enjoyed shopping with SA's over WhatsApp! I never thought to do it before, but it's been so laidback to receive pictures of items and buy them all virtually - then it's lovely to have them arrived a few days later :biggrin:

Reactions: haute okole
COVID-19 has definitely changed the way I shop. I work from home now and my husband is on unemployment, so definitely on a budget).We are in the East Bay (in the SF Bay Area) and while I have not stopped shopping for essentials (grocery and hardware stores), leisure shopping was non-existent until our outdoor malls opened up more in the summer. Still, I don't need much..work clothing is now comfy, non-structured pants, less formal tops and shoes have been replaced by ortho sandals/slippers and sneakers (I did get a case of quarantine feet going barefoot most of the spring/summer). Not spending much on cosmetics (I don't even wear eye makeup unless I have important Zoom calls); I found cheaper hair products (used to only use DevaCurl), too. Sometimes on a sunny day, I grab a Louis, put on nice earrings, a dab of perfume and head to the outdoor mall to just browse (hardly buy), as it makes me feel more normal (as normal as one can feel with a mask on). Also, no friends join me now, no impromptu lunches...I miss that. Today, I do need to pick up some warmer tops now that the temps are cooling and I'm excited to explore. I guess I just need some retail therapy. NOTE: I am from New York and that was probably the biggest change for me. I had to head back twice since the pandemic to help my parents and it was very odd for me to be there and not shop in NYC. I only packed workout clothes and other leisurewear because aside from getting groceries for them and taking solo walks around the neighborhood or along the Hudson, I did not go out. Very odd to be in New York but not FEEL you're in New York. What can I say guys, I guess now I'm feeling a little depressed ...

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Tootsie17
I’ve always shopped online precovid bc lack of time to do so irl and also my need to stack points/cash means online shopping mostly.
however now that COVID has happened, if I can’t order from them online, I will go in person to shop, both the small stores and restaurants, on weekends.

still too busy during the weekdays

ITA with this! I try to shop at off hours (usually early morning) to avoid crowds
@LaDolceLaria, it’s so nice of you to travel across country to help your parents! Am sure they appreciate everything you are doing for them!

This evening I returned shoes to NordstromRack that I had purchased online. The entire store was empty except for me and the checkout/return gal. It was strange and eerie. The parking lot was empty too.