Counterfeit made in China? Not anymore..

The only real way to avoid this is to purchase from independent artisans.

I don't really believe my LV is made in France because a tag says so. Labeling laws in the EU are not the strictest.

The independent artists shut down one by down bc they can't keep their heads over the water in competition with the big boys. So sad to see.. I'm with you.
For some reason I do feel that Louis Vuitton do manufacture in Europe. I do. I don't always agree with them about quality, but I do believe they haven't outsourced to other countries than US, Spain and Italy like the tag say. Hope I'm not wrong. But I don't think so.

The "Can you prove ALL blah blah are bad? If not, then you have just made a racist comment" argument is just weak.

As for the Yulin thing (I refuse to call it a "festival")... if dogs or cats are killed and used as food because people in the area have no other options, then I guess I can't say anything. However, from what I saw on the news from multiple sources, vendors and buyers were taking pictures of the dead dogs with their smartphones, carried a freshly chopped up dog in their pretty new Toyota mini van, the fact that they call it a "festival" and have to publicly torture and slaughter the animals... I think all these do say something about the people that participate in that activity.

Disclaimer: I completely understand that not ALL Chinese people eat dogs.

No that's not a statement of race. That's a statement from a persons view on how animals are being treated. She would have made the same faces if they had Yulin in Sweden. It's not about race. It's about treatment of animals. That's what her faces were about. It was her expressions on how she feels about that. Whenever did she mention race?? Why are you turning this into being about race...? Please. I think you're taking it to a whole other level. But, you are entitled to your opinions too and your feelings. But I personally don't think any of this is about race.. What race? The Chinese race? Is that a race? Who is talking about race? We are talking about fakes, laws, governments, treatment of people, and counterfeits.

Exactly! I'm more concerned how the governments are treating their people and food/product safety etc.

No that's not a statement of race. That's a statement from a persons view on how animals are being treated. She would have made the same faces if they had Yulin in Sweden. It's not about race. It's about treatment of animals. That's what her faces were about. It was her expressions on how she feels about that. Whenever did she mention race?? Why are you turning this into being about race...? Please. I think you're taking it to a whole other level. But, you are entitled to your opinions too and your feelings. But I personally don't think any of this is about race.. What race? The Chinese race? Is that a race? Who is talking about race? We are talking about fakes, laws, governments, treatment of people, and counterfeits.

Yeah, that was exactly my point! Yulin is a city, and if this happened in Londontown, I would feel the same way! And I was in no way joking about it; I saw pictures ONE time and I cannot erase that memory![emoji22]
I mentioned this because a lot doesn't make sense with what the government allows and doesn't allow! Just like you mentioned about the people being punished about the baby formula! I feel BAD for Chinese people who are treated inhumanly, but this is not just China, and obviously many other countries are guilty of treating their people this way. The bigger point is the $ factor, and the business men at the top who are all for greed! There is no conscience!

Very true

The only way these brands are going to change their behaviour is to put as much effort into quality as they do in marketing and watching the bottom line.

If people don't buy they will be forced to change their policies.

Is there a list on TPF anywhere about where brands produce and finish? It would be interesting to get it all together so TPFers can chose who they want to purchase from.

The only real way to avoid this is to purchase from independent artisans.

I don't really believe my LV is made in France because a tag says so. Labeling laws in the EU are not the strictest.

I heard many High End Brands get the parts ready in China and finish bags in Europe which enables them to put the label "made in ..."

It's not surprising, unfortunately, that the quality plummets as soon as the cost of labor and craftsmenship drops...hence why I haven't strayed to Burberry (might have if it stayed truly British).
The highest quality bag in my entire purse collection is one hobo made by the local leather craftswoman; handmade from thick yet buttery-soft black leather, actual silver hardware, and lined with a suede interior. It's roughly the size and design of a Delightful MM yet has received more compliments than any of my branded purses combined...quality and originality that cannot be counterfeited.

Would love to see a pic and learn more. I love local made items. :smile:

Is there a list on TPF anywhere about where brands produce and finish? It would be interesting to get it all together so TPFers can chose who they want to purchase from.

I heard many High End Brands get the parts ready in China and finish bags in Europe which enables them to put the label "made in ..."

You could start an info, all brands, who makes what where thread I guess

Of course we only know what brands tell us and the labels they stick in :sunnies

When you go to the little, independent bottegas in Italy, you can often see the craftspeople making in the back (same in Spain, and I know Penelope Chilvers (more known for shoes) has all things made in Spain). I think I need to take a trip to Florence :biggrin:

I don't buy dog toys made in China because my dog would put it in his mouth. I do not buy dog toys made in China because they "recycle" biomedical waste such as used masks, cottons and used tampons to make the stuffing.

Let me clarify: I do not buy edible items and items that would go into my mouth/body and those of my loved ones.
I remember the uproar when Chinese-made hairbands contained 'recycled' used condoms for the elastic core:sick: It was more than one brand/manufacturer involved in the scandal and customers were panicking and testing for STDs (it's in your mane and sometimes even held between the teeth when using both hands to pull back the hair). I used to cut open a sample band from every batch I bought just to ensure it really was an elastic band in there and not a Mr. Willy surprise.

I haven't watched your video yet, but unfortunately many, many legitimate companies manufacturer in China. That doesn't mean things are fake. Lots of other companies import parts from China and then use a "Made in the USA" or "Made in ____" label and we never know the difference. Having traveled there a few times (on other business - not designer goods) I can tell you I've seen fakes so good that I held real designer goods beside them and couldn't tell the difference. Very very scary.

Shinola is notorious for this. They claim and bolster that their stuff is "built in Detroit/USA" when they secretly import watch and hardware parts from China, Europe and Italy. I didn't know this until I did some researching and I was surprised to see that of their parts weren't directly from the US. And yet here they are, parading around with their slogan "Where America Is Made" when it's not 100% true. Now I have seen and bought their products and they are excellent quality. I still buy their journals since I know those were made in US, but I'm staying away from their watches and leather goods now. I don't know if I can keep supporting a company for not telling the truth.

On the bright side though, Shinola does the assembling in their Detroit factory, which means more jobs for Americans. So that is good news!

I know another company called Hartmann, who also specializes in leather goods, was originally a company that had American-made products, but have sent their production to China. They still make their stuff in US, but I heard their quality is going down the drain now since they moved production. I'm so sad to hear this. No wonder USA's unemployment rate is going down. Such a shame.

You could start an info, all brands, who makes what where thread I guess

Of course we only know what brands tell us and the labels they stick in :sunnies

When you go to the little, independent bottegas in Italy, you can often see the craftspeople making in the back (same in Spain, and I know Penelope Chilvers (more known for shoes) has all things made in Spain). I think I need to take a trip to Florence :biggrin:

That sounds amazing! I'd love to see that too. Been to Florence but did not have much time to shop at all sadly.

I think a thread would be interesting, will do! :smile:

That's a shame. I have a couple of their vintage trenches and they are fantastic.Thanks for letting us know.

Keep them!!! I will say the current trench coats are really up to par. The trench is exactly what the company started their business on, and thankfully they have remained of the highest quality. It's their smaller goods that come and go so quickly that are not so great, like a shirt or random accessory.