"Copy of receipt provided."

Thx for all the responses. I realize a receipt by itself means nothing. The auctions I'm thinking of weren't from people with long selling histories, they were from fairly new sellers who apparently were cleaning out their closets. So a receipt in that case means a bit more to me, and considering they didn't seem to be dealers, the offer of a copy seemed weird.

An receipt on an ioffer purchase would mean nothing to me. As if I'd buy anything on ioffer anyhow, what a dive.

I'm so glad you guys informed me of this, I had a buyer request a receipt for an Isabella Fiore bag which she later (for bogus reasons) requested a refund on. I hope she didn't use my receipt for unintended purposes.

I have been thinking...counterfeiters will always find a way regardless of whether you provide a receipt or not. There was once an instance where I sent a package off with the original receipt (I was in a hurry) and then it was misplaced by the Post Office. The receipt was needed in that case, so that is why you should have copies. There is something else about those receipts. I noticed that when I have purchased from Macys, Bloomies and I think Saks, I have the ordinary store receipt, but they are always written on, with initials of the SA and some other things. At least, someone would be able to tell if I was the original owner and I think that is why some people will provide a receipt, but again, that is only part of an equation. That's why you really should be knowlegable about what you are buying.

I keep the receipts for tax purposes and because it has my personal details on it like credit card number. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it being in somebody else's possession. You see fake receipts on ioffer all the time. I don't want someone selling receipts with my details on it!

my two cents:

for a seller:
make a copy of your reciept, black out any personal info with a thick black marker, then in a BLUE ink pen write the following all over the print of the reciept in big letters so they can still read the original print:

"...This (type of bag) was sold by (your ebay id) to (buyers ebay id)
on (date of sale) in (new or used) condition. THIS NOTE IS WRITTEN IN BLUE INK!!!!..."

make sure you write all over the original print so they cant cut your message off
It should work like the watermarks on bank checks
It will prevent people from using the reciept for other purposes

and for buyers:
whenever you buy something anywhere other than the original store
you are taking a risk that it could be a fake or used (when they say it is new)

I know people who bought a clothing ticketting gun from STAPLES and use it to re-attach tags to clothing they have worn so they can return or exchange the item at the original store

there are honest people and dishonest people so when you take a chance make sure the amount you are spending is worth losing on something that turns out different than you expected....

just my humble opinion

I don't like giving away my original receipts, but I will offer a copy with my personal info blackened out. Too many people are dishonest and would use your personal info to do horrendous things anyways.

They used to sell receipts on Ebay as well but now they are taking them down. However, you can also find original receipts on sale on other sites as a previous poster mentioned. To me, the receipt really does'nt mean anything.

I would never give away original receipts because the credit card number and other details still show under the light after i have blacked them out with a marker. :s I would not want to worry about having weird transactions on my card months down the road. Besides my buyers always ask for a copy of the receipt, never the original. And they are happy with that. :yes:

A seller on Ioffer is selling original receipts, A receipt means nothing! I was just told this by someone and went there and saw it for myself. To think you work hard for every cent you have and someone wants to steal it!!!

Yes sellers of fake bags can get fake receipts. I once saw a receipt on ebay supposedly from Chloe Paris on the bottom it said "Have a nice day" :yahoo:
I have to keep my receipts for tax purposes also & I wouldn't put them on ebay anyway for the stores to see, I know sellers who have been banned from buying Fendi etc because their receipts were seen on ebay.

Thx for all the responses. I realize a receipt by itself means nothing. The auctions I'm thinking of weren't from people with long selling histories, they were from fairly new sellers who apparently were cleaning out their closets. So a receipt in that case means a bit more to me, and considering they didn't seem to be dealers, the offer of a copy seemed weird.
i don't see anything weird about offering a copy, just because the sellers are not as experienced. :shrugs: their reasoning behind not offering the original could be the very same that many of the ladies here have already mentioned. i've purchased from relatively new sellers before and had great transactions. really, it's more important to ask lots of questions, or for big, clear photos. i wouldn't worry about a receipt or copy of a receipt, since it's meaningless much of the time. i've seen fakes bags with receipts before.

i normally use ebay for buying, but i have sold a couple times. and as a seller, people kept inquiring about a receipt. of course, i would explain to them that the receipt is not included because i would prefer to keep them for my own records... and some people will still want a copy. i'm assuming some of the newbie sellers think that it may help their auction if a copy of a receipt is offered.