College Students & Textbooks...

I sold books from one of my classes to a friend that was taking the same class.. but i had to sell back the other ones to the bookstore. So pissed off! They gave me $20 for a $85 german textbook. UGH. Anyone know any bookstores in NOLA that buy textbooks? :sad:

my school had a book exchange event every quarter which was organized by the students association themselves so i used to sell my books there. i got a good amount back for all my books and it was super easy (so check if there's something like that at your school).

on-campus and off-campus buybacks are a rip off!! it's even worse when they are overstocked with certain textbooks, they will buy it back at a really low low price.

best bet is to sell online at sites like amazon.com like everyone suggested. the site is super easy to use and quick! good luck! :smile:

Well, it's been a LONG time since I've sold textbooks back, and I think it was before half.com was even around!

Here's my "old school" method: I would always make a list of books that I had available to sell and post them on a flier. I'd sell the books for just a little under the "Used" book price in the bookstore and make little "flags" with my email on it on the bottom. I'd post them outside the division and near vending machines. I'd work with the buyer via email, then meet on campus somewhere.

In most cases, I was able to sell them to someone else on campus and was paid cash.

i would ask if i could post flyers in a common area. & sell them.
at my school, since it's small, every so often, there will be day & the hours posted in the break room designated for selling or trading text books.

Yes books are very expensive and the buy back program at my school only pays pennies for books that I hardly even mark in. I usually post flyers, but any books that are a part of my major I keep.

I sell mine back through the campus bookstore. However, I know that I am really lucky because our bookstore buys our books back from us for about 80% of the original price of what we paid. Sure it's isn't the same, but I've always found half.com and ebay and amazon to be just major pains in the butt.

I buy mine all online between half.com, amazon.com, and abebooks.com. I sell them back on half.com. If you ever need to buy a key code or program that comes on a cd when you buy the textbook, you can usually buy it from the publisher directly. My spanish key code was $60 in the store and $30 from the publisher. I also needed one for a math class and got that from the publisher cheaper as well. I saved over $300 last semester by buying online! Average semester book costs are $500-$600 from the book store.

I sell mine the week before or the 1st week of school on ebay. For example, my school was not buying back one of my textbooks and I sold it on ebay for 65.00. IMO, I think ebay works better than half.com.

Lol this is probably cheating, but for first year textbooks I stuck them around where I knew the first years were for orientation and stuff. I didn't really lower the price at all, but first years are nervous, and they think "oh my god, those titles match the ones I need".

I'm just entering second year now though, and I don't think the future second years will be suckered into that. Maybe if I wrote '2nd YEAR REQUIRED TEXTBOOKS' and stuck them in the first year sections.