Collectively, all my handbags cost $9,750 and retailed about 12,000. AGH! How bout U?

I was just thinking about my husband and his collections. He is the ULTIMATE in being a nonspender, I mean, all his hobbies are intellectual, so he plays games, etc. HOWEVER... he loves books and music and MOST of the books we have were secondhand - a $5 bucks here, $10 bucks there for this one and so on. Plus, most of them are reference style books, very few novels... well, there are a lot, but percentage-wise, very few. Add that up... that's a LOT of money already.

Then to HOLD the books, we have 11 7 feet tall, 32" wide bookcases. For music, approximately add 2 more bookcases... So, 13 bookcases. That is 32.5 feet of all space!!!!!!! and that size and number will just continue to GROW.

We have had to move them (and they keep growing in number) 7 times in our marriage. We have had to purchase bookcases and replace some, AND... when our youngest son moves into his own room? We will have nowhere to go with his books and will need a larger house - JUST for books. Then, you are looking at another $100,000 to $150,000 jump in price in our area.

So, really, are his books so cheap??? When we purge, he gets rid of 10 and buys 20 more with the profits plus some $.

Maybe I'll use that if he ever questions my "hobby"! LOL

I think I have a very small collection - the amount I spent on my purses is about 3000$ - this doesn't include my wristlets and wallets - when you include those it is about $3500-$3700? The value of my stuff all together is maybe $4k? This is pretty bad since this is all within one year not including the shoes....
I feel so guilty now.. :Push:

I'm gonna buck the trend here....cuz I'm feeling pretty good about my "investment" in purses. My policy has been always to buy on sale - and I mean always! So, the retail value of my 12 bags is $8,900 and I spent $3,800. Now, all of this has been within the last 8 months, so that's a lot in a short time! New to bags, so I'm making up for lost time!!!!
My two most expensive bags; Jimmy Choo and Etro, were 50% and 30% off, which REALLY helps. Thus, average cost per bag is a bit over $300.00 which in my book, is pretty awesome considering I have Be&D's, Gryson, Bulgas, etc.
BUT.....I'm pretty embarrased about purchasing so many bags in such a short time, so I'm trying to be good.....wish me luck:P

Such a thought provoking post! I never do this this but I decided to calculate my purchases for the last year and it's not too bad since I bought everything on sale or store credit:

LV Popincourt Haut -retail $ 825; I had $640 in store credit at Saks from alot of Christmas return gifts that I didn't get to untill Jan so I paid $185 + tax

Hayden Harnett mercer clutch in currant- $135 on sale no tax, no shipping, can't remember the reatil

Botkier bianca large in bone -$312 on sale from Saks +tax and shipping; retail $695

Botkier sophie satchel-$312 on sale +no tax, no shipping; retail $625

Gryson skye- $187 on sale + tax, no shipping; retail $725

Not bad!:smile:

Though I totally agree that it's dumb not to keep track, I remain blissfuly ignorant...and dumb! This reminds me of the SATC episode where Carrie is trying to buy her apartment and doesn't have much $ to put towards it. Miranda points out to her that she has however many pairs of shoes at $xxx a pop. Carrie then realizes she's the old lady who lived in a shoe!