Coachtopia

I just received the Ergo Black and White Checkerboard and currently contemplating my purchase after reading this forum and reviews elsewhere. I think it's cute. Very me. I'm a small bag girl though this would not be an every day bag. I tend to carry the higher end designer bags that I have on a regular basis. But it's now occurring to me that a smaller and less expensive bag may work for me and I won't be as concerned about wear and tear. That said, I didn't want to spend $350 on it. But I did. And now I'm not even sure what it's made of. Is the checkerboard bag the manufactured material or actual strips of leather from another bag? It's called "upcrafted leather". But some of the pictures, included the Vogue article make it look more manufactured. Anyway, sounds like most here are happy with what they have. I have a difficult decision to make. If anyone has a clear idea of what this is, I'd love to hear it.View attachment 5808325
I can't recall where, but one of the Instagram accounts (Coach, Coachtopia, or the company that does the process for them) posted a video clip where it shows putting basically the scraps of leather (looked unrecognizable as leather to me) into some processing machine to make it. The video still left questions for many and wasn't completely transparent. There are reviews talking about how it is basically bonded leather FWIW.

I'm not a fan of bonded leather.

I can't recall where, but one of the Instagram accounts (Coach, Coachtopia, or the company that does the process for them) posted a video clip where it shows putting basically the scraps of leather (looked unrecognizable as leather to me) into some processing machine to make it. The video still left questions for many and wasn't completely transparent. There are reviews talking about how it is basically bonded leather FWIW.

I'm not a fan of bonded leather.
That's disappointing! I don't like bonded leather either, and $350 is way overpriced if the bag is bonded leather and that small.

I have the black/white checkerboard ergo, but I thought it was made from leather scraps, not processed-then-glued-together leather scraps.I have to check my order date-- maybe it's not too late to send it back. Although I'll be mad at myself if I find out later that the checkerboard bags were patchwork from scraps (what I expected) vs. bonded leather from processed scraps. How would more processing be more earth-friendly? Patchwork from scraps would be more environmentally sustainable.

I wish Coach would clarify the actual process used rather than dancing around how it's actually made. If you find that IG post that shows the process, I'd love to watch that.

That's disappointing! I don't like bonded leather either, and $350 is way overpriced if the bag is bonded leather and that small.

I have the black/white checkerboard ergo, but I thought it was made from leather scraps, not processed-then-glued-together leather scraps.I have to check my order date-- maybe it's not too late to send it back. Although I'll be mad at myself if I find out later that the checkerboard bags were patchwork from scraps (what I expected) vs. bonded leather from processed scraps. How would more processing be more earth-friendly? Patchwork from scraps would be more environmentally sustainable.

I wish Coach would clarify the actual process used rather than dancing around how it's actually made. If you find that IG post that shows the process, I'd love to watch that.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 2.03.42 PM.png

Ok, so here's where it gets a bit more confusing. Coachtopia says, "Yes, some of our bags are crafted with bonded leather, one that was specifically developed to use leather scraps...".

When I look at the details under the Coachtopia Ergo style, there are two versions to choose from: Coachtopia Leather (Bonded) and Upcrafted Leather™ (sewn scraps of genuine leather, NOT bonded leather).

Checkerboard = the second type, Upcrafted Leather™ (the version pieced together from scraps of leather leftover after a larger pattern is cut from the solid leather piece?)
  • Shell: Upcrafted Leather™ (the genuine leather scraps sewn together, pieces cut aways from larger bag patterns, if I'm reading this correctly)
  • Lining: Coachtopia Leather (the bonded leather)

SOLIDS and the PATTERNS (e.g.cherries, mushroom, strawberries) = Coachtopia Leather (bonded leather)
  • Shell: Smooth Coachtopia Leather
    (at least 50% recycled from leather scraps)
  • Lining: Coachtopia Leather
    (at least 50% recycled from leather scraps)
The Upcrafted Leather bags ARE genuine leather on the outside, at least. I'm not thrilled that my Checkerboard has the bonded leather inside the bag, but at least the shell is what I wanted.

Last edited:
I think that anything made of any type of bonded/recycled/upcrafted (whatever term attached) leather should cost less than typical retail leather items that they sell because it generally won't last as long.

if Coach wants to reduce its carbon footprint, maybe they should not put out so many different styles every month :smile:

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 3.25.54 PM.png

Reactions: amateurjeweler
I think that anything made of any type of bonded/recycled/upcrafted (whatever term attached) leather should cost less than typical retail leather items that they sell because it generally won't last as long.

The “upcrafted” parts should last as long as regular leather would. If it’s the same leather just pieces together from scraps, there’s no difference in material quality or workmanship. It should last just as long as any purse made from larger pieces of the same leather.

However, the recycled/Coachtopia/bonded leather parts won’t last as long (or look as nice over time) as regular leather.

They’re using two different methods— one is piecing real leather scraps into patchwork-type bags (still good, IMO); the other is squishing leftover leather bits together and reconstituting them into a new bonded leather material (of which I’m not a fan).

They really weren't very clear on that, I agree. I skipped ordering a Rogue earlier because it was made with Regenerative leather, and I wasn't sure if "regenerative" meant synthetic, bonded, or something else entirely. I wish they'd just come right out and say what the material is, instead of throwing around catchy phrases.
Regenerative leather is the normal refined calf that Coach always uses. The only difference comes in the way the leather is produced. It's made at locations that have some form of "regenerative" business practice, like recycling the water used to produce the leather, or using LED light bulbs or solar panels to power the factories. Has nothing to do with the kind of leather itself. I hope this helps!