Coach ? Yay or Nay

I have a genuin question for the ladies that points out that is some circles designer bag brand does matter: what type of circles is this? Maybe it’s just not that common to see loud obvious designer bags where I live (except Chinese tourists when it was easier to travel), so I’m really interested.

Comparatively I earn a very high salary, but still I would never want to use a obvious designer bag at work. Not because it would get stolen or that I would be a target during commute (Tokyo is a very safe city) but because I wouldn’t want my boss to think that he pays me too much. Maybe it would be ok to use it during the weekends, but then I would feel bad to use it when I meet my girlfriends since I probably earn a lot more than them (I wouldn’t want them to feel uncomfortable).

It’s worth noting that I work in the tech industry with no real client meetings (and even when we meet clients it would probably be seen as too loud).

Is it for people who sell houses in Hollywood? (Sorry if this is a stereotype! I’ve never been to the US, I’ve only watched the Netflix series Selling Sunset which I of course understand is larger than life since it’s reality tv.)

I’m genuinely interested!

I have a genuin question for the ladies that points out that is some circles designer bag brand does matter: what type of circles is this? Maybe it’s just not that common to see loud obvious designer bags where I live (except Chinese tourists when it was easier to travel), so I’m really interested.

Comparatively I earn a very high salary, but still I would never want to use a obvious designer bag at work. Not because it would get stolen or that I would be a target during commute (Tokyo is a very safe city) but because I wouldn’t want my boss to think that he pays me too much. Maybe it would be ok to use it during the weekends, but then I would feel bad to use it when I meet my girlfriends since I probably earn a lot more than them (I wouldn’t want them to feel uncomfortable).

It’s worth noting that I work in the tech industry with no real client meetings (and even when we meet clients it would probably be seen as too loud).

Is it for people who sell houses in Hollywood? (Sorry if this is a stereotype! I’ve never been to the US, I’ve only watched the Netflix series Selling Sunset which I of course understand is larger than life since it’s reality tv.)

I know that the rotary is a great example. For the people who go, it also extends to neighbours or anyone who they meet from kids schools.

From friends in some fields of medicine and law I've heard that a pricey bag means you do well and is a plus.

A friend even got a comment from her boss, that she is not a junior anymore and it was advised to upgrade her watch and bag. She couldn't care less about brands so I got to pick the bag for her. That was fun.

I know that the rotary is a great example. For the people who go, it also extends to neighbours or anyone who they meet from kids schools.

From friends in some fields of medicine and law I've heard that a pricey bag means you do well and is a plus.

A friend even got a comment from her boss, that she is not a junior anymore and it was advised to upgrade her watch and bag. She couldn't care less about brands so I got to pick the bag for her. That was fun.
Thank you for your answer! I guess depending on the type of lawyer you are it could make sense that having designer brands. I didn’t understand your first part though, what is rotary?

I completely agree with this! Especially the part about my boss paying me too much!

Even if I wanted to look polished and like I was "doing well" in consulting, I think I'd spend the money on tailored clothes, high-quality but understated bags (e.g., nice leather but no logo), etc. I feel like if I showed up to the office with an obviously branded item, it wouldn't be taken as a measure of success. Rather, it'd be taken as a sign that I was vapid!

Coach has so much pretty stuff, bags, clothes, shoes, still good quality. I keep buying from coach these days. Coach is the only contemporary brand that I still love so much. I used to love Kate spade, Rebecca Minkoff, Marc Jacobs etc.

Coach keeps me consistently interested especially with the revival of their vintage pieces. I recently purchased a pillow tabby - adorable! I think that Kate Spades quality is so hit-and-miss.

I’m at a point in life where it doesnt matter what people think. I like what I like and if I’m buying, guess what, I’m buying what I like. If said want you to have something else, let them gift it to you.

I've spoken to way too many people who feel as if having a "luxury" handbag somehow reflects your inherent worth as a person ; that if you buy contemporary bags it sums up who you are in pretty unfavourable words. There also seems to be this re-occuring identity issue where people are afraid of having the same thing as somebody else which is pretty sad as we all see even the same items differently. How does one wittle away worth through other people? Their worth doesn't hinge on presumptions. I think that to judge other people for buying ((still)) expensive handbags is ridiculous.

I have some designer bags but I found that I'm having this problem of only wearing it when no one would notice me. I don't want to make anyone feel bad and I don't want to wear it to work. I find that I've been using my low-key bags when I go to work.
I'm at the point when I mostly wear designer when I'm out with my husband. When we are together I don't pay attention to the people around me.

I love my Coach bags because I don't feel anything other than having a bag I enjoy wearing. Plus I love a good sale.

Reactions: myskatten
Coach originally was highly thought of and then.... The 90s and early 2000s. Too many very low end jacquard fabric c monogramed bags that every teen seemed to have. In the last 5 years or so Coach has tried to revamp their image as a higher end contemp brand with the 1941 series bags, no more jacquard bags and very low priced ones. It started with Rogue. There were numerous celebrities sporting it!! You could also order exotic leathers and customize it. I started noticing Coach again when the Dreamer came out and fell in love with one which had exotic snake trim (and still love it!). Their use of exotics seemed to have elevated then a bit. Now more modern designs are coming and super high quality leather. I just got the beat shoulder bag which has the same chain detail that the high end bags use right now (my Givenchy GV3 has the same detail). The interior is velvety suede, not fabric and it's structured, you can't see "coach" unless you are close and the C clasp is reminiscent of Chloe C bag. The beat also comes in alligator for about 5,000.00 if you aren't convinced that Coach can be seen as higher end.

I use Brahmin bags as well (workhorses) for when I need to get work done, they are also a contemp newer brand and super high quality. And Coach for when I don't want to stand out in a crowd so much, everyday needs and don't have to worry so much about damaging it as I would one of my chanel bags.

And google celebrities carrying Coach bags for inspiration... You'll be surprised.

Reactions: janetaz
I’ve only previously had one Coach bag that I bought a good 10 years ago. It’s a periwinkle blue hobo and I bought the matching wallet, such a pretty color. I still use them from time to time. The Coach outlet bags really turned me off to the brand as the quality seemed so poor. My sister owned a few and quickly donated them. I think the outlet junk almost killed the brand’s reputation.
the majority of my bags are LV, a couple of other high end bags and my most expensive, my Chanel. I don’t carry any of my luxury bags to work other than my NFS. Sometimes I just want a nice bag that I don’t have to think about so I reconsidered Coach late last year I bought a Cassie in December during the sale. It’s every bit as great quality as my Pochette Métis. I am very impressed and it was a fraction of the price. I just bought a Cassie 19 during the sale going on now. Great price and I’m sure the quality will be fine.
Im happy to see that Coach is returning to the quality they were known for years and decades ago.

This. Totally agree- it's as much you do you as you do what's comfortable for you now. Used to wear designers like armor... now that I'm old, grumpy, tough-skinned... sometimes I'll use an ikea bag as a tote.
As for quality - coach and hermes are my favorites and all that's left on my shelves. Besides ikea bags.

Have you tried Baggu bags yet? Their reusable totes are durable and super cute! I have to stop myself from looking because I have so many of them!