Coach Suede Cleaning?

I don't have suede bags for this reason but a friend was over on Friday night and she had gotten silly putty on her suede bag! I have this cleaner called "Goo Gone" (for cleaning pet carpet stains) and she was able to get it out without rubbing off the suede.

Unfortunately, this is one of the perils with having the lighter colors. The soil does show more readily. Yet while they are in your dustbags, you are missing out on enjoying your bags too. That seems even worse!

I have a few suggestions:

1) Try contacting a Coach representative to find out whether or not they might be willing to sell you some touch-up dye in the same shade of pink. If not, you might also try a local leather shop (check the yellow pages of your phone directory). They carry dye in a myriad of colors; and may have what you are looking for.

2) Realizing that #1 is a process that may very well need to be repeated, might you be willing to change your bag to a nice British Tan, or Charcoal, or anything darker? Maroon, maybe? Using the latter part of the previous solution, you can just change the color to something that won't look as bad later. Suede is typically more porous than other grains, so the fact that it's this type of leather may actually be in your favor.

3) If you're afraid to attempt either of the above, another alternative is to take your bag to a shoe repair shop. The staff there are typically expert in leather care, as well as repair, and may be able to help you with the touch-up or alteration.

Hope that helps a little, & best wishes to you!

The solution I have used is the UGG cleaning solution....it gets a bit stiff but it comes out pretty clean...and then you can use the brush from Coach to lightly brush it to restore the nap and get it softer...it works for me!!

i bought a suede cleaning kit (intended for shoes) @ kmart. it has a white rubbery block and a brush. you rub with the block then groom with the brush. it works extremely well...and it was $5. coach used to sell them, but I havent seen a kit on their site.

i bought a suede cleaning kit that was intended for shoes @ kmart for $5. it comes with an eraser looking thing and a little grooming brush. you rub the eraser on the suede then brush it with the groomer. good as new.:wlae:

The Coach suede cleaning kit works really well.

You should have gotten one with your bag. If you don't have one ask any SA at a boutique or an outlet and they should give it to you.

Last time I was at an outlet I asked my SA for one and she got one for me out of the back. The kits are complimentary, so you don't have to go out and buy one from another brand.

I used that to clean suede bags and even suede on my coach shoes.

The set includes a double sided wet/dry eraser and brush to clean with. I used both and followed the instructions that came with them to get my suede looking good as new.

I actually just had to do this. I bought a pieced suede hobo type bag on ebay, it's an older style and I had been searching for it for ages. I bought it cheap-around $50 and when it arrived the lighter colored areas were soiled-not terribly but I knew I needed to clean it up a bit. I worked on it yesterday and now she is as good as new, seriously! I can't show pics at the moment though because my year and half old son got his hands on my camera and I can't get it to work now, ugh!

Anyway, I used the suede cleaner from Applegarde, I diluted to half strength per the directions (in water) and then I cut a sponge into a small, manageable sized square. I dipped the sponge into the cleaning solution and rubbed the light patches in a circular motion. I didn't get the sponge soaking wet though. After I had done that, I used a washcloth dampened with plain water and just wiped those patches down-then I hung the bag up to dry. A few hours later I took it down and the patches that I had cleaned felt stiff as opposed to the soft suede of the rest of the bag. I used a nail file to touch up a couple spots that hadn't totally come clean. Then I used the Coach suede brush, the one that comes with the Coach suede cleaning kit, to brush the nap back up on those patches that I had cleaned. Once I did this, they became soft feeling again like the rest of the bag. I am carrying this bag now, looks gorgeous imho! Also, I have to say-this really boosts my confidence in buying suede off ebay since I now know that I can clean it up if necessary.

Oh, of course I also sprayed the bag like 3 times with Applegarde protectant after cleaning it up, lol. If you decide to use any kind of cleaner on a bag, just be sure to test it first to make sure it won't harm the color-and if you decide to use the nail file method, just be careful not to rub ALL the nap off your bag, and be really careful around any stitching so you don't fray the threads. Good luck!!

I have the Signature Pink Duffle with the suede bottom. It was my first coach (one of 4 now!!!!). Man I ADORE this purse.

Hindsight is 20/20 however. If I could go back in time I'd make myself treat the Suede with the Suede protection from Wilson's leather. I didn't. My base of my purse of course got dirty, but it not only got dirty it got filthy. It seemed like it happened one night. I swear it was fine looking and then it was black. I was disheartened because I had used it only 3 weeks at this point, was my first Coach, and now it was embarassingly dirty. I was very very sad. I did some research. Sadly if I had treated it right off it would be way easier to clean and would have stayed cleaner. So I have to settle for this purse. Instead I took a soft bristle toothbrush and vinegar to it (learned vinegar from my homework). A lot of elbow grease later and it is about 75-80% better. It will never be my perfect pink purse again, but it isn't bad and not too noticeable looking at it (though GLARING to me and any Coach fan on closer inspection). It was as clean as I could get it and I treated it and will clean it and treat it once a month while I am using it. Another forum suggested using an emory board on the suede. I tired in a small place and it was not good. It may work for some colors and suedes, but it looked bad on this pink. Plusit is just bad because it wears the nap away. Fortunately my test is inconspicuous.

So the moral of the story, treat treat treat immediately! Clean often and retreat. And if you do get some staining, white vinegar and a soft bristled brush. Avoid the emory.

The fabric...cleans up like a charm. Just some gentle soap and water and a little wiping with a white washcloth. Good as new and the purse barely stains in the first place. Man I love Coach!

Melissa
Melissa

My first Coach bag (and certainly not my last: she's got lots of sisters now!) is the very light pink mini sig with the very light pink suede bottom. Clearly, I did not think this through too carefully as I have no idea how to care for the suede.

I got the bag in January, never put it on the floor, don't take it anywhere that might have dirt or crud or anything to hurt it, and the suede looks like absolute crap anyway. How do you ladies clean very, very light suede?