Coach Sateen Fabric Care

Jan 29, 2009
Hello I have been looking for information on how to care for a Sateen Claire. I am not sure what to clean her with and I am pretty sure I cannot use the signature cleaner on this bag. Should I try to Scotch Guard her or is that a bad idea. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Why do you want to clean it? Is is stained or dirty?
The reason I ask is bec I have the Op Art Sateen Claire in Black and I have one in Khaki. I have not gotten it dirty or anything and the bags have been out in the snow and rain when I carry them to work. So far both bags are in excellent condition. The Coach bags come with care card. I would not put anything on it unless you got a stain on it or something then I would ask someone in Coach store.

If you got a stain on the purse, the Tide pen works pretty good! I got BLUE fun dip on one of my Coach satin/silk kisslock wristlets on the part of the fabric that was white... tide pen got most of it out! You can BARELY see any blue left. I've also used the tide pen on the jaquard signature and the regular cotton-y material (the kind they make the scribble patterns on) and it has worked great. I am pretty sure that there is no treatment that Coach recommends to clean the sateen material. I know they don't sell anything for it, but if you ever get a stain, the tide pen works!
PS- I wouldn't try using the signature fabric cleaner on the sateen. I wouldn't see it doing any harm, but you never know.

I have 2 sateen purses a soho scarf print crossbody that gets really dirty (it has white in the print) and an amanda fold over clutch. I have had really good resuts with baby wipes, it takes off most of the dirt. I noticed the bottom of the soho was looking sort of dingy on the bottom of the bag (I am careless and have been known to put it on the ground) so I went at it with some spray and wash and a damp cloth. Well it worked wonders (even on the white areas) and didn't damage the fabric or leave rings on it.

In terms of fraying/snagging, how would you say the satin holds up?
I do have a small snag in my soho bag, but like I stated before I am a careless coachie. That particular bag is a crossbody style and I have 3 small kids. The bag falls right in line with my dd feet when I am holding her. I am assuming the snag is from the velcro from her shoe. The snag is small and it doesn't look like it will fray any more then what it has. It is really not that visable. My clutch has held up perfectly, but I take better care of that because it is dressier and I don't have the kids with me when I use it. I would say if you are carefull it would be fine.

I have stayed away from sateen bags for fear of them getting dirty. I have a patchwork tote that has some suede patches on it and after only a few weeks those patches got very dirty. I would be interested to hear how people's sateen bags are holding up.

I'm still on the fence about so many bags! I LOVE the hobos and satchels and may have to get one of each (or maybe two hobos...IDK!!)

One thing I have to consider of course is cost because I can only order online. Sateen is not as expensive and I do like it. But it looks delicate. I'm kind of eyeing the black satchel in the sateen...and the hobo!

Anyone wish they spent the extra to get the leather?

:thinking:

In my opinion (and others may differ), sateen is just as sturdy as the jacquard fabric. To me, it's just shinier. My bags are mostly leather, but I grabbed an Ali hobo in the sateen (khaki/brown leather trim) a while back and it was awesome. It just didn't fit what I wanted it to fit (inside it), so I returned it. Wish I could have found the large one, but I never did. Truth be told, I think the sateen is even prettier than reg. sig. fabric. The care might be different, but it stands up to wear just like the fabric bags.