Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

A friend asked me to try and rehab an old Willis for her that was in horrible condition. Verdigris in spots around the brass, scratches galore, stitching coming undone on the strap, piping worn through in one spot, edge coating worn off around the tongue (not sure what that part is called!), misshapen and totally dried out. I think she's going to be thrilled with the rehab!View attachment 3645042 View attachment 3645044 View attachment 3645045 View attachment 3645046 View attachment 3645047 View attachment 3645048

This is so beautiful! Now I want one, too! The leather looks so shiny and smooth.

Reactions: marleneryd
I was attracted to the color of this 1996 Worth Bag #4143...could be putty or khaki. Found her at Goodwill, marked down from $24.99 to $19.99. A little more than I like to pay, but in good overall condition (with a matching hangtag) except for a couple of ink spots and an area of color loss on the front. Before pics are here: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-818914-296.html#post25242102

There was a little verdi gris on the strap and around the buckles that I treated with a paste of baking soda and vinegar. I painted on the mixture and let it sit for 5 minutes or so and scrubbed with a toothbrush before the bath. Once she was soaking in a warm, sudsy Dawn bath, I used Tarni-shield on the buckles, ball chain and zipper pull. I like cleaning the brass as part of the bath, so I can get all the product off the leather more easily. Then the usual scrub, rinse and stuff.

The zipper pull had lost some of its reinforcement, so I cut a little strip of thin chipboard (like the back of a pad of note paper), doubled it and gently bent it into a “U” shape. I carefully slid it into the loop of leather that attaches to the zipper pull and generously coated it with clear acrylic gloss enamel.

For the color loss on the front I used a mixture of Folk Art Coffee Bean acrylic and Leather CPR... pretty near color match that filled in the color and hid the ink spot. I used Leather CPR 2x all over and finished with a light application of Blackrocks. I’ve had Blackrocks pick up acrylic in the past, so I went light. Buffed with a microfiber cloth and she’s back to soft and supple and good to go.

You did an excellent job on that bag. I bought one exactly like it on eBay for $20, only the one I purchased it black. The bag appears to be a real Coach bag except what had me wondering was the zipper mine has. You know how Coach zippers are usually brass or nickel and pretty wide. The zipper on my bag has "YKK" on the side; however, the zipper is black and looks like a zipper that would be on a dress or skirt. Do you think it is replacement zipper, or could it be the original? Just curious, what type of zipper does your bag have? I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks

Reactions: LylaGrace
I was about to suggest trying rubbing alcohol but then I saw the gorgeous color of that bag and now I am say "no alcohol"!. Without seeing a picture it is hard to say, but I think that heat and massage might be the best way to go. Try warming it up with a hair dryer and rubbing it off. Gum is disgusting stuff so you might want to wear gloves!
I was thinking the opposite approach with the gum. Although I have not tried this on a purse, I have been successful using ice on gum on other items. It hardens the gum so it can be peeled off easily.
I also agree with no alcohol. What a gorgeous bag you found. Love the color!

Reactions: katev
Thanks, ladies. My gut knew it had to go back but my heart was hanging onto the rehab fantasy [emoji846]. It didn't help that mahogany has really grown on me lately. Oh well, sometimes you gotta catch and release [emoji39]
I am having trouble with my "catch and release" of the duffle sac today. I know it was the right thing to do, but it is very hard to be patient. Every one that I have found lately has been sold and I am feeling I will never find another

Reactions: Ravvie99
You did an excellent job on that bag. I bought one exactly like it on eBay for $20, only the one I purchased it black. The bag appears to be a real Coach bag except what had me wondering was the zipper mine has. You know how Coach zippers are usually brass or nickel and pretty wide. The zipper on my bag has "YKK" on the side; however, the zipper is black and looks like a zipper that would be on a dress or skirt. Do you think it is replacement zipper, or could it be the original? Just curious, what type of zipper does your bag have? I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks

Coach has used many different types of zippers over the years, often for newer versions of the same bag. Post your bag in the authentication thread at the link below to find out if it is genuine; the first post in the thread explains the procedure:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-coach.889527/

A friend asked me to try and rehab an old Willis for her that was in horrible condition. Verdigris in spots around the brass, scratches galore, stitching coming undone on the strap, piping worn through in one spot, edge coating worn off around the tongue (not sure what that part is called!), misshapen and totally dried out. I think she's going to be thrilled with the rehab!View attachment 3645042 View attachment 3645044 View attachment 3645045 View attachment 3645046 View attachment 3645047 View attachment 3645048
What a lovely job! Gorgeous Willis and the leather looks amazing.

Reactions: marleneryd
I am having trouble with my "catch and release" of the duffle sac today. I know it was the right thing to do, but it is very hard to be patient. Every one that I have found lately has been sold and I am feeling I will never find another

I know what you mean - I'm feeling the same way! I do see duffles on the bay and think you can find one for the same or less than yours and in good structural condition. It's the waiting that's tough, though [emoji846]

Yes, on a couple of duffles. It took them to my regular shoe repair shop. Rivets are an extremely easy and inexpensive fix.
There were two other issues I found when it came. The bottom looked like it had been re sewn (badly) and there were some very deep scratches/cuts in the leather. I have never fully rehabbed a bag--just cleaned and conditioned--so I was leery of the other issues, too.

I know what you mean - I'm feeling the same way! I do see duffles on the bay and think you can find one for the same or less than yours and in good structural condition. It's the waiting that's tough, though [emoji846]
Waiting is hard..But worth it, I am sure. I have a taupe suede one gifted to me by my mom, but I really would like a black one.
I bought a Skinny tote in tabac and although I love the style, it has some water stain issues and spots/splatters which I do not know how to deal with at all.
I thought about dunking her, will that help with the water stains? I am somewhat Leary b/c of the issues others have had with the leather coming out of the kisslocks.

Waiting is hard..But worth it, I am sure. I have a taupe suede one gifted to me by my mom, but I really would like a black one.
I bought a Skinny tote in tabac and although I love the style, it has some water stain issues and spots/splatters which I do not know how to deal with at all.
I thought about dunking her, will that help with the water stains? I am somewhat Leary b/c of the issues others have had with the leather coming out of the kisslocks.

Are the kiss locks the leather covered ones? I'm planning on dunking mine this week so I can report back.
If the spots are really just water spots, you can try wiping them with undiluted white vinegar. It cleans, won't leave spots like water, and often removes water spots without having to dunk. Just don't scrub hard. I often do this as a first step to see which spots are real stains that I need to give special attention when dunking. I would, however, treat precreed items more gently. Other opinions welcome!

Are the kiss locks the leather covered ones? I'm planning on dunking mine this week so I can report back.
If the spots are really just water spots, you can try wiping them with undiluted white vinegar. It cleans, won't leave spots like water, and often removes water spots without having to dunk. Just don't scrub hard. I often do this as a first step to see which spots are real stains that I need to give special attention when dunking. I would, however, treat precreed items more gently. Other opinions welcome!
Yes, the kiss locks are leather covered. I would love to hear about your experience. If you would report back that would be very helpful. The bag is a NYC bag with a glued in registration number.. I will try the vinegar, too. I did not know that, so thank you.

Reactions: Ravvie99
Hi! With my City Bag rehab where the front flap closes, it has a a large strip of dried/rippling(?) leather. I washed the bag and did 2 coats of Leather CPR (allowing at least 24hrs between coats). On the 3rd coat I put on way too much and ended up re-washing the bag and did a light coat while damp and did a 2nd coat yesterday. My question is will I ever get rid of the rippling with another product or should I just leave it as is? I was planning on using Blackrock as the final step, will this help? Thanks as always for your help!
IMG_0107[1].JPG IMG_0108[1].JPG