Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

A friend asked me to try and rehab an old Willis for her that was in horrible condition. Verdigris in spots around the brass, scratches galore, stitching coming undone on the strap, piping worn through in one spot, edge coating worn off around the tongue (not sure what that part is called!), misshapen and totally dried out. I think she's going to be thrilled with the rehab!View attachment 3645042 View attachment 3645044 View attachment 3645045 View attachment 3645046 View attachment 3645047 View attachment 3645048
You did an amazing job! She will be thrilled. My black Willis is next. :graucho:

Mayday mayday! Rehabbing disaster!

I picked up a watermelon tote that is in fabulous condition. However, it wasn't very clean, scratched and out of shape so needed a wash. I did it today and while I was very careful with the area, the kisslock leather was starting to come out a little before the wash and during it, it slid out even more. I'm struggling to even push it back in. How on earth can I repair this? It has happened to me once before but I was able to push the leather back into the kisslock much of the way with that one. I have searched and haven't come across any answers to this one.

Mayday mayday! Rehabbing disaster! I picked up a watermelon tote that is in fabulous condition. However, it wasn't very clean, scratched and out of shape so needed a wash. I did it today and while I was very careful with the area, the kisslock leather was starting to come out a little before the wash and during it, it slid out even more. I'm struggling to even push it back in. How on earth can I repair this? It has happened to me once before but I was able to push the leather back into the kisslock much of the way with that one. I have searched and haven't come across any answers to this one.

I had that problem with an original 1960s Cashin Coach bag and I decided not to try and fix it myself for fear of damaging the metal. I took it to a good cobbler and he fixed it for me and it didn't cost much (about $10 I think). You can see the pics and read about it at the link below, good luck!

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...-beautiful-rehab-reveal.742282/#post-21502370

I have a question and I am not sure where to post it. I found a lg NYC duffle sac on Etsy about a week ago. Hyacinth authenticated it for me. I asked questions of the seller and felt uneasy because this was her only item for sale. She was responsive and answered every question. I asked (via Etsy) if there were any rips, tears, or odors and she responded no just pure leather. The bag came today and although I am thrilled with the nice thick leather, for me there are two issues. One, when I readjusted the buckle on the strap I discovered that one of the rivets is broken, and two, it looks as if the bottom has been re sewn so the piping is a little uneven.
Any advice on what I should do? I am most upset about the pulled out/broken rivet.
TIA
The defects should have been disclosed in the listing. You have to decide if you can live with them or if you want to try to negotiate with the seller or return the bag.

I had a rivet replaced on a Classic Pouch. It was not disclosed as missing when I bought the bag. Luckily, there's an excellent leather craftsman near me who replaced the brass rivet for $5. Most shoe repair shops can probably do it, but you might want to ask if they can install a rivet that closely matches the original one. Tell them you are "restoring" the bag.

I had that problem with an original 1960s Cashin Coach bag and I decided not to try and fix it myself for fear of damaging the metal. I took it to a good cobbler and he fixed it for me and it didn't cost much (about $10 I think). You can see the pics and read about it at the link below, good luck!

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...-beautiful-rehab-reveal.742282/#post-21502370

That is great you were able to get someone to fix it for you. That's a cool bag and worth fixing. I have little faith I can find a good cobbler here. I have taken some bags to have rivets replaced and they did an awful job. I don't want to go there again and now I'm nervous to trust anyone else either. The kisslock on mine has leather covering it. It's such a bummer because the bag is otherwise in absolutely perfect condition.

That is great you were able to get someone to fix it for you. That's a cool bag and worth fixing. I have little faith I can find a good cobbler here. I have taken some bags to have rivets replaced and they did an awful job. I don't want to go there again and now I'm nervous to trust anyone else either. The kisslock on mine has leather covering it. It's such a bummer because the bag is otherwise in absolutely perfect condition.

Do you have a luggage repair shop or a leatherwork shop nearby? Sometimes equestrian shops or riding stables can tell you where you can get leather goods repaired.

Do you have a luggage repair shop or a leatherwork shop nearby? Sometimes equestrian shops or riding stables can tell you where you can get leather goods repaired.
Thanks to all who replied. I contacted the seller and she told me to send it back and she would refund for cost and postage. Sadly, I sent it back. I thought about taking it to a shoe repair or equestrian shop as suggested but when I looked at the bag I decided it was not worth it to me. I already had $135 invested in it, and I had serious questions about the re-sewn bottom and it had long *deep* scratches (like cuts)on the bag that did not show up in the photos. By far the worst condition of any Coach bag I have ever bought online. I am sad because this is the second XL duffle bag I have bought and had to return. The first one ended up being a fake, bought first authenticated afterwards-lesson learned. My search continues...

Help - more undisclosed damage!
Received a bag with holes/tears where the strap meets the back (both sides have the same problem). I can fill the holes but will the tearing likely continue? It's such a high stress and tight/fiddly area, is restitching even an option? Opinions needed!!
I've been searching for a small Courier and when I finally find one...

IMG_1490469892.689869.jpgIMG_1490469943.655422.jpg

Help - more undisclosed damage! Received a bag with holes/tears where the strap meets the back (both sides have the same problem). I can fill the holes but will the tearing likely continue? It's such a high stress and tight/fiddly area, is restitching even an option? Opinions needed!! I've been searching for a small Courier and when I finally find one

The piping is torn so I don't think it could be repaired without replacing the piping. If it was just that the stitching had ripped and opened the seam, then it could resewn, but I think you should ask for refund and send it back. Sorry

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonoma and Catbird9
Help - more undisclosed damage!
Received a bag with holes/tears where the strap meets the back (both sides have the same problem). I can fill the holes but will the tearing likely continue? It's such a high stress and tight/fiddly area, is restitching even an option? Opinions needed!!
I've been searching for a small Courier and when I finally find one...

View attachment 3645839View attachment 3645840
I agree with Katev. I think the piping would have to be replaced. That is a high stress area on the bag, too. I would ask for a refund and send it back. Eventually you will find the right bag.

Reactions: Catbird9
The piping is torn so I don't think it could be repaired without replacing the piping. If it was just that the stitching had ripped and opened the seam, then it could resewn, but I think you should ask for refund and send it back. Sorry

I agree with Katev. I think the piping would have to be replaced. That is a high stress area on the bag, too. I would ask for a refund and send it back. Eventually you will find the right bag.

Thanks, ladies. My gut knew it had to go back but my heart was hanging onto the rehab fantasy [emoji846]. It didn't help that mahogany has really grown on me lately. Oh well, sometimes you gotta catch and release [emoji39]

Has anyone had good luck getting gum out? I just had a wine colored station bag graciously authenticated by Hyacinth and am planning on rehabing it to give as a gift to my mom. I've only worked on navy and black so far so I am a little hesitant on this bag. And the kicker.. a gum spot on one of the corners. I've tried posting some pictures as well but seem to keep getting an error message. Here's the link for the authentication just to show the color (no close up of the gum though): https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-coach.889527/page-1411#post-31190974
Any advice on what you all have done in the past would be appreciated!

Has anyone had good luck getting gum out? I just had a wine colored station bag graciously authenticated by Hyacinth and am planning on rehabing it to give as a gift to my mom. I've only worked on navy and black so far so I am a little hesitant on this bag. And the kicker.. a gum spot on one of the corners. I've tried posting some pictures as well but seem to keep getting an error message. Here's the link for the authentication just to show the color (no close up of the gum though): https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-coach.889527/page-1411#post-31190974 Any advice on what you all have done in the past would be appreciated!

I was about to suggest trying rubbing alcohol but then I saw the gorgeous color of that bag and now I am say "no alcohol"!. Without seeing a picture it is hard to say, but I think that heat and massage might be the best way to go. Try warming it up with a hair dryer and rubbing it off. Gum is disgusting stuff so you might want to wear gloves!

Thanks, ladies. My gut knew it had to go back but my heart was hanging onto the rehab fantasy [emoji846]. It didn't help that mahogany has really grown on me lately. Oh well, sometimes you gotta catch and release [emoji39]

Don't despair. I once bought a British Tan Scooter bag for $20 but it was a fake. I was able to get my money back but it was a battle (it's just that I hate spending any amount of money on fakes!) I was disappointed by that episode but little later I found a genuine BT Scooter bag in better condition and it was only $7.50! So be patient and I think that your special bag will come along soon.