Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

I saw your post that you started your collection a mere 2 years ago!? That's when I noticed that that thread is pics only, no comments. oops.

How on earth did you acquire that in such a short time!? Such an exquisite collection!
Yes! I bought my first vintage Coach, a camel Willis in mint condition, Sept 29, 2019! I’m one of those people who sets a goal and then everyone better get out of my way. Lol! I immerse myself in anything I want to learn how to do too.

Thank you, @LadaZuri ! Color match is the most difficult especially with these digital swatches.. I have experience buying Angelus paint online to match my bottle green Coach and had to purchase 4 different shades of greens plus black & grey (to darken if necessary), only to find out that I could not make the exact color with the colors I purchased! I ended up just using BR. lol

As for Meltonian cream, does it darken when it dries? With the acrylics, it usually dries a shade darker. So I want to know whether I should start out with a shade lighter cream or go with what looks to be an exact match. Also, what kind of difference would added CPR makes to this shoe cream? Have you tried only with the Meltonian cream alone?

I think the Meltonian Cream is quite forgiving in terms of what colour you choose for the refreshing and I would go with the colour most closely matching your bag. It hasn't darkened the leather in my experience. I used the London Tan on 2 very different lots of BT and it worked beautifully with both. I did several conditioning coats all over and then dabbed it on on the problem spots using the tiny tip of a wooden skewer:

Legacy Zip BT USA D plant 2000

IMG_0383.jpg

Rambler's Legacy BT USA C plant 1998

IMG_0381.jpg

And the 3 bags I've colour refreshed with Meltonian/CPR

IMG_0361.JPG

Leather CPR seems to be an integral first step after dunking vintage bags, so I really never considered not using it. I've colour refreshed dozens of bags and always mixed the pigment (acrylic paint or Meltonian) with it. (I use only a tiny amount of acrylic paint, while the Meltonian mixture is about 1/3 cream to 2/3 CPR). I guess I feel CPR is safe and very nourishing/beneficial for the leather and the mixture produces a very natural looking and feeling result.

Has anyone used Meltonian without mixing it? Please let us know how it went. :flowers: All opinions welcome... we are all learning. :tup:

I think the Meltonian Cream is quite forgiving in terms of what colour you choose for the refreshing and I would go with the colour most closely matching your bag. It hasn't darkened the leather in my experience. I used the London Tan on 2 very different lots of BT and it worked beautifully with both. I did several conditioning coats all over and then dabbed it on on the problem spots using the tiny tip of a wooden skewer:

Legacy Zip BT USA D plant 2000

View attachment 5257765

Rambler's Legacy BT USA C plant 1998

View attachment 5257766

And the 3 bags I've colour refreshed with Meltonian/CPR

View attachment 5257767

Leather CPR seems to be an integral first step after dunking vintage bags, so I really never considered not using it. I've colour refreshed dozens of bags and always mixed the pigment (acrylic paint or Meltonian) with it. (I use only a tiny amount of acrylic paint, while the Meltonian mixture is about 1/3 cream to 2/3 CPR). I guess I feel CPR is safe and very nourishing/beneficial for the leather and the mixture produces a very natural looking and feeling result.

Has anyone used Meltonian without mixing it? Please let us know how it went. :flowers: All opinions welcome... we are all learning. :tup:
I've just ordered the Meltonian cream! Thanks for the color suggestion @LadaZuri . I will see how it goes!

I see a lot of people here using acrylic paint to help restore colour to their bags, mixed with Leather CPR.
Is this artist acrylic which comes in a tube, or craft paint which come in small plastic squeeze bottles from Michael’s.
Thanks, lots of knowledge here.
Since I cannot speak for others, I'd say I have only used Angelus leather paint on leathers. I believe those leather dye/paints are formulated for leather and slightly different (hopefully it's not just the marketing) from the general acrylic paints for paintings. Though I have to say that the feel of the paint feels similar to regular acrylics (I used to paint a lot with oil and acrylics). Maybe it's formulated to be more 'elastic' than the regular acrylics so that it doesn't crack over time. Angelus leather paint are also pretty runny from the beginning so I have not added too much water or CPR to create an appropriate consistency in the past. I honestly don't know whether mixing the CPR is any better than thinning with water. Maybe only pros is that CPR is thick so the paint will not become too thin and maybe easier to apply (just like those food dyes where gel forms are now more popular than the liquid form for the same reason).

I see a lot of people here using acrylic paint to help restore colour to their bags, mixed with Leather CPR.
Is this artist acrylic which comes in a tube, or craft paint which come in small plastic squeeze bottles from Michael’s.
Thanks, lots of knowledge here.

You can use any kind of acrylic paint including house paint. Just be sure to add only a tiny bit of paint to a lot of CPR. The goal is not to paint your bag and change the appearance or the texture, but to have the pigment be absorbed into the leather along with the Leather CPR.

As an example for the navy Chester I was working on I used this much acrylic paint:
IMG_8569.jpg

and then filled the container with this much CPR:
IMG_8573.jpg

End result:
IMG_8650.jpg

Here's the white Legacy Zip I used white acrylic, eggshell, house paint mixed with the CPR:
IMG_9943.jpg

I hope that helps! Other opinions are welcome. :flowers:

Last edited:
Since I cannot speak for others, I'd say I have only used Angelus leather paint on leathers. I believe those leather dye/paints are formulated for leather and slightly different (hopefully it's not just the marketing) from the general acrylic paints for paintings. Though I have to say that the feel of the paint feels similar to regular acrylics (I used to paint a lot with oil and acrylics). Maybe it's formulated to be more 'elastic' than the regular acrylics so that it doesn't crack over time. Angelus leather paint are also pretty runny from the beginning so I have not added too much water or CPR to create an appropriate consistency in the past. I honestly don't know whether mixing the CPR is any better than thinning with water. Maybe only pros is that CPR is thick so the paint will not become too thin and maybe easier to apply (just like those food dyes where gel forms are now more popular than the liquid form for the same reason).
Thanks aqua1117

You can use any kind of acrylic paint including house paint. Just be sure to add only a tiny bit of paint to a lot of CPR. The goal is not to paint your bag and change the appearance or the texture, but to have the pigment be absorbed into the leather along with the Leather CPR.

As an example for the navy Chester I was working on I used this much acrylic paint:
View attachment 5257857

and then filled the container with this much CPR:
View attachment 5257871

End result:
View attachment 5257879

Here's the white Legacy Zip I used white acrylic, eggshell, house paint on mixed the CPR:
View attachment 5257880

I hope that helps! Other opinions are welcome. :flowers:
Great! Thanks for the example of proportion of paint to CPR.

Reactions: LadaZuri
This picture is from the Met Museum. Bonnie Cashin design from 1972. Interesting the tongue doesn't hang down low in that picture. When I used mine, I used to not pull it all the way down so it wouldn't hang below the bag but it kind of bulged.

Coach's catalog pictures always showed the tongue hanging down a few inches.

View attachment 5257655
edited to move it to the vintage thread

Here's the sneak peak into the half dried Plaza. When it's wet, leather looks gorgeous but this is what was underneath (I still like that this bag was well carried!).

I'm wondering whether I should just use Renapur/Black rock once dry and be done with it or go full on, applying a brown leather dye that's one shade darker? I heard that the leather colors add moisture to the leather so if that's the case, I'm interested. Just don't know what type of leather dye/paint will be best. Any thoughts?
Oh the patina on that bag when all is said and done is going to be beautiful!

My thought is to wait.. Just wait until it is completely and thoroughly dry and apply another conditioner.. Let it absorb.. Take your time! She is so beautiful!

I have so many rehabs where I became impatient with the process and if I would just stop and.. wait.. and then decide the next steps, so many of my rehabs would have been better.

Maybe post some photos? You don’t have to be embarrassed about what you have done. There are YouTube videos out there now showing you how to use the inexpensive liquid shoe touch up products like paint, all over a bag. I haven’t dealt with shoe polish (yet) but others have and maybe can chime in.

Hi, Lake Effect. I posted photos below. From what I've seen rubbing off there doesn't appear to be polish left on the sides and bottom of the bag, but there's still some residue on the front and back.

I would probably dunk it in blue Dawn and water and vigorously scrub the surface with a soft cloth to try and remove more shoe polish, then I would stuff and shape, then dry and condition, and finally apply black rocks again.

It's really scary to dunk the first time but a classic unlined Coach like the City Bag should handle it quite well. The fact that the shoe polish is pretty fresh on your bag is helpful. If the shoe polish sets for years it can be very difficult or impossible to remove.

If you still don't want to dunk it you can try surface cleaning with Dawn and a wet cloth. Good luck!

P. S. When I am hesitating to dunk a bag I usually ask myself "do I like wearing the bag the way it is right now?" and if the answer is "no" then I give it a bath!

Thanks for the advice, Katev! Thing is I think the bag looks pretty good now with most of the polish rubbed off. But I'm concerned that some remains and might rub off on clothes or rot the bag. Would Dawn and scrubbing remove the remaining polish and residue, or would some still remain?

I applied the polish 15 years ago, with two coats of Wilson's Leather Protector, so it's had years to dry and harden.

Yes, the prospect of dunking is really scary to me. :-s But I think of time I got caught in a drenching storm with a vintage Coach Patricia, in red no less. By the time I got in the house the Patricia was sopped and streaked and speckled and looked horrible. I thought the bag was a goner. But by the time it dried the next day it looked perfectly fine with not a raindrop or streak in sight. Incredible.

I got shoe polish off my bella court by scrubbing it with 99% rubbing alcohol. You’d have to dunk the bag after & depending on the year, the colour might not come back.

The only issue with leaving your bag how it is if there’s still shoe polish on it, the leather/stitching might rot overtime. Other opinions welcome.

Thanks, Coachaddict! How much scrubbing did you have to do with the alcohol to get the polish off? And did it pull off any of the bag's color?

Never thought about rot to the stitching. Ouch! Now I want that polish off.

Below are photos:

IMG_0704.JPGIMG_0705.JPGIMG_0706.JPG

Hi, Lake Effect. I posted photos below. From what I've seen rubbing off there doesn't appear to be polish left on the sides and bottom of the bag, but there's still some residue on the front and back.

Thanks for the advice, Katev! Thing is I think the bag looks pretty good now with most of the polish rubbed off. But I'm concerned that some remains and might rub off on clothes or rot the bag. Would Dawn and scrubbing remove the remaining polish and residue, or would some still remain?

I applied the polish 15 years ago, with two coats of Wilson's Leather Protector, so it's had years to dry and harden.

Yes, the prospect of dunking is really scary to me. :-s But I think of time I got caught in a drenching storm with a vintage Coach Patricia, in red no less. By the time I got in the house the Patricia was sopped and streaked and speckled and looked horrible. I thought the bag was a goner. But by the time it dried the next day it looked perfectly fine with not a raindrop or streak in sight. Incredible.

Thanks, Coachaddict! How much scrubbing did you have to do with the alcohol to get the polish off? And did it pull off any of the bag's color?

Never thought about rot to the stitching. Ouch! Now I want that polish off.

Below are photos:

View attachment 5258182View attachment 5258183View attachment 5258184

I've had mixed luck removing polish, sorry to hear that it's been on the bag a long time. I think giving it a bath would probably get more of it off.