Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

BTW, try not to overpolish the hardware on an Italian Madsion bag because you can rub away some of the brushed finish appearance to reveal the shiny gold metal - I've done that when the hardware was badly scratched and tarnished.
Thanks for this tip too! Your collection of rehabbed Madisons are simply gorgeous and the description of the rehab process is very helpful :heart:

I've never confirmed that, but my first Italian Coach Madison bag was a Gracie 4413 in the beachnut color that I bought for only $2.00. It was missing the strap so I took it to a leatherworker/cobbler to see if I could have a strap made for her. He told me that he could match the beechnut color of the leather but that he "would never be able to match the skins."

He said that it was a very finely made bag and that "little dark dots" on the leather are actually printed on the pebbled leather to create the "caviar" appearance.

He advised me to be content with carrying Gracie as a top handle bag and not to try and replace the missing strap. He said "you could spend a lot of money on a new strap only to be disappointed with the results."

I followed his advice but I eventually decided to use a MFF Coach curb-chain gold strap F31126 IM GLD that I ordered from the online outlet store for $15, see pic below. It's not a perfect match because the Italian Madison bags have brushed gold hardware but I still think that it looks good with little Gracie!

BTW, try not to overpolish the hardware on an Italian Madsion bag because you can rub away some of the brushed finish appearance to reveal the shiny gold metal - I've done that when the hardware was badly scratched and tarnished.

View attachment 5060917
I dabble in jewellery (making). To get that brushed finish on highly polished sterling silver, I go over it with a green scrubbie (the kind you would use to clean a burnt pot). I don't see why it wouldn't work in this case.

Reactions: Jacynthe and katev
Probably don't need to dunk again, but shaping it with warm very slightly moist towels may work. Put something firm and just heavy enough to press the wrinkle out on top of it. You don't want to squash it, just get that wrinkle out. Debi the restorer uses steam but I am not sure exactly how she dies it. A steam iron on a low setting with a thick press cloth? A quick disclaimer- do this at your own risk. I am brainstorming here! I have not personally tested this method.
Thanks so much! I watched a video of someone using steam and it terrified me! I may try it one day on a purse that is not in as good a condition as this one is.

Reactions: Jacynthe
Probably don't need to dunk again, but shaping it with warm very slightly moist towels may work. Put something firm and just heavy enough to press the wrinkle out on top of it. You don't want to squash it, just get that wrinkle out. Debi the restorer uses steam but I am not sure exactly how she dies it. A steam iron on a low setting with a thick press cloth? A quick disclaimer- do this at your own risk. I am brainstorming here! I have not personally tested this method.

Thanks so much! I watched a video of someone using steam and it terrified me! I may try it one day on a purse that is not in as good a condition as this one is.

I once did my own mild version of steaming a bag. It wasn't a structured bag and it didn't have "deep crease" wrinkles but it had been stored poorly and it was lumpy and wrinkled looking. I stuffed it with towels and hung it in the bathroom near the shower with the hot water running for awhile and with the door closed. Then I turned off the water and rotated the bag and let it continue to hang there in the steamy room for awhile longer.

Not a perfect solution but it was easy and cheap and I was pleased with the results because the bag was no longer lumpy! Here's an "after steaming" pic of my Whiplash Tatum Tall Tote 35156.

TatumTallToteWhiplash35156_After_001.jpg

I've used steam on a few bags, ones that are clean but just slightly misshapen so I don't want to dunk. I clean with leather cleaner, condition, stuff with rags, steam from a distance where the bag gets warm (not super hot) and a little moist, just one side at a time, let it dry, and steam some more, each side separately. I use more conditioner after and BR or Obenauf's to finish, just like I would a dunked bag. It's worked well for me.

Is this my rehab pile? Yep.

Is it all of it? Nope. Only about 2/3.

Did I just order 2 more bags anyway? Yep.

Geez, I've got a problem!
Oh I so wish I had your problem...being on a bag ban and buying nothing from ebay has ment I have no projects at all. Im so bored I thrifted a modern DKNY bag and washed it in the sink.

Oh I so wish I had your problem...being on a bag ban and buying nothing from ebay has ment I have no projects at all. Im so bored I thrifted a modern DKNY bag and washed it in the sink.
OMG!!! Hahaha, that sounds so funny. I think if this was read anywhere else, people would just think you were mad. Here, we totally understand:yes: