Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Any thoughts on dunking this bag with these handles?

this is another on my list so I would be interested as well re rehab.

I've dunked several of these. Most of the time the handles are fine. They are stuffed with something. If the handles are constructed well without any holes, they survive the dunking just fine. I've only had problems one time when there was a hole in the stitching. Then they softened. I was able to fix it by stuffing more stuff inside and then closing up the hole.

Thanks so much, Whateve! Over the past few months I've acquired several bags with this type of handle (including a lovely Watermelon Tote.) I've been holding off on doing anything with them due to fear and indecisiveness!

Any thoughts on dunking this bag with these handles? I'm not sure how they're constructed and I want to sell this bag so I really don't want to ruin it. It is pre-creed and in fantastic condition, it just has an old basement smell. View attachment 4631466 Thank you!!

I once dunked a brown Slim Satchel Compact Handle Clutch 9425 that had the same kind of handles and it came out fine, the bath didn't hurt it at all. It was not pre-creed but it was a older "Made in New York City" bag with the glued-in unique serial number:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...ost-for-format.889527/page-1673#post-31719885

Here are after-rehab pics of my cherry red Madison Carlyle 4401 from 1994 that cost $20. All I did was give her a bath in Dawn and water, rinse and drain well, stuff with towels to shape, remove the towels and wait several days for it to dry, polish the hardware with Wenol, and lightly condition the bag with Lexol. Some of the pics were taken with flash and others with ambient light which explains the variation in color.

View attachment 4631489

View attachment 4631490

View attachment 4631491

View attachment 4631493

View attachment 4631494

View attachment 4631495

View attachment 4631496
That's gorgeous.

Reactions: katev
I've dunked several of these. Most of the time the handles are fine. They are stuffed with something. If the handles are constructed well without any holes, they survive the dunking just fine. I've only had problems one time when there was a hole in the stitching. Then they softened. I was able to fix it by stuffing more stuff inside and then closing up the hole.

Good to know, thanks!

Reactions: whateve
I considered using a gold hangtag to replace the missing one but decided to use a forest green hangtag in plain glove-tanned leather because it is the correct color for the bag.
You know I would not be against a pebble leather hangtag in, say, black. I was thinking today, why hasn't there ever been a trend where people mix-matched their hangtag and bag colors?

You know I would not be against a pebble leather hangtag in, say, black. I was thinking today, why hasn't there ever been a trend where people mix-matched their hangtag and bag colors?
I've done that sometimes. When they came out with the 2012 Legacy duffles, they also came out with duffle kits that were just the strap, tassels and hangtag. They made a video of all the combinations you could make by switching out the straps, hangtags and tassels. If you owned more than one duffle, you could interchange the parts. The only one I do anymore is a green duffle with blue tassels and hangtag.

Once I was selling a white bag and didn't have the matching hangtag. A potential buyer asked for one so I offered her orange, which she was happy with.

I once dunked a brown Slim Satchel Compact Handle Clutch 9425 that had the same kind of handles and it came out fine, the bath didn't hurt it at all. It was not pre-creed but it was a older "Made in New York City" bag with the glued-in unique serial number:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...ost-for-format.889527/page-1673#post-31719885

Did you use a shorter dunk time? On the bags I've done, I usually do three soaks of 20-30 mins each: water and dawn, water and vinegar, plain water. That means the bags are submerged for anywhere from 60-90 minutes total. Just wondering if you made any modifications to your usual methods?

Reactions: vickenator
Did you use a shorter dunk time? On the bags I've done, I usually do three soaks of 20-30 mins each: water and dawn, water and vinegar, plain water. That means the bags are submerged for anywhere from 60-90 minutes total. Just wondering if you made any modifications to your usual methods?
I rarely soak that long. Usually 20 minutes total unless I forget.

Reactions: Lake Effect
I've done that sometimes. When they came out with the 2012 Legacy duffles, they also came out with duffle kits that were just the strap, tassels and hangtag. They made a video of all the combinations you could make by switching out the straps, hangtags and tassels. If you owned more than one duffle, you could interchange the parts. The only one I do anymore is a green duffle with blue tassels and hangtag.

Once I was selling a white bag and didn't have the matching hangtag. A potential buyer asked for one so I offered her orange, which she was happy with.
I really think the right color combo could be really cute especially if a person also tied a purse scarf or had a fob that a hangtag matched to.

I really think the right color combo could be really cute especially if a person also tied a purse scarf or had a fob that a hangtag matched to.
Yes, I think just a hangtag might look out of place but something else to tie it all together would help. I think that is why the tassels on the legacy duffle help. I put a burgundy hangtag on my mahogany ranch bag because it was one of those made to order hangtags and I wasn't using it.

Yes, I think just a hangtag might look out of place but something else to tie it all together would help. I think that is why the tassels on the legacy duffle help. I put a burgundy hangtag on my mahogany ranch bag because it was one of those made to order hangtags and I wasn't using it.
Hmmmm. Now I may start really looking for scarves and hangtags.

I rarely soak that long. Usually 20 minutes total unless I forget.

Ah! That's really good to know!

I never soak longer than around 15 or 20 minutes. I have been known to rewash bags later that didn't come clean or had a persistent bad odor - but it's not usually necessary.

Last edited:

I had a shiny modern gold hangtag and a large, duller gold handtag, and the forest green smooth leather hangtag. I tried them all and decided that the green leather tag looked best and most consistent with the original.

I considered attaching a gold hangtag to the handle as an accent, but decided that it was safer to put it on the side attached to the metal strap loop, because the handle had already suffered some wear damage and I wanted to protect it. And since the leather isn't an exact match it also seemed wisest to put it in a more obscure position.

Last edited:
Reactions: latetotheparty
I had a shiny modern gold hangtag and a large duller gold handtag and a forest green smooth leather hangtag. I tried them all and decided that the green leather tag looked best and most consistent with the original. I considered attaching the hangtag to the handle but decided that it was safer to put it on the side attached to the metal strap loop, because the handle had suffered some damage and I wanted to protect it.
The smooth leather green looked really good. I have also gone back and forth between the handle and the side rings on my Stations and Regina. I just can't decide which position I like better.