Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

@houseof999 mentioned the Madison’s have a special coating that’s not to be disturbed. I’m assuming cpr is ok now that I got all that silicone crap off yesterday, but am nervous now. She’s in a holding pattern presently. Anyone used Brasso on this brushed brass?

I have been trying to find the source for days and still looking. What I remember is that it was Coach's one of the most expensive line to make at the time and it went through a very long manufacturing process to get to the end product. I'm going to see if I have any literature in my bags.
ETA: this is what the care card says:
IMG_20191018_225028.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191018_225028.jpg
    IMG_20191018_225028.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Question for anyone on here who has dunked an unlined leather bag: what soap/cleaner do you recommend?

I have never felt the need to dunk any of my vintage Coaches but I have this old vintage bag I got from a thrift store awhile back that I want to try this method on. It's a defunct brand, Original Bell, Made in the USA. I can't find out much about this company but apparently they sold several bags and briefcases that look very similar to classic Coach designs. The bag looks a-ok but I've never been able to rid it of this musty smell that I am beginning to suspect might be ancient cigarette smoke. Am thinking a dunking might help and since I spent so little on the bag it seems a good candidate for experimenting. Also, if anyone knows anything about Original Bell please let me know! Will attach some pix.

Wow! Construction is freakishly similar to vintage coach! I would dunk just as any other unlined bag. I like baby woolite and a healthy dose of vinegar for the bath. Woolite seems to rinse easier then dawn imo. The vinegar is good for the cigarette smell and also seems to create a longer lasting and greater lather in the tub (wish I knew the chemistry behind this). I would also finish with a vinegar and water rinse after all the soap is gone. But before all that, I’ve poured baking soda all in and over bags then hung them outside (weather permitting) for upwards of 48 hours and have left baking soda in bags for months and months. I can say that all of that worked for me, but other people may have different ideas. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions, @Busykitty! :tup:I have aired out and baking soda'ed this bag to death so I think a dunking it is! And yes, amazing how similar Original Bells are to Coach. I found a couple briefcases and a turnlock saddle bag for sale online and they look EXACTLY like Coaches. The leather on my Bell bag feels really nice too. I definitely recommend Coachies who are into vintage styles keep their eyes peeled for this brand when thrifting.

Thanks again @Busykitty! I dunked the Original Bell bag using your Woolite+Vinegar formula. It handled the dunking beautifully and smells so much better now! Here's pix of the bag during and post-dunk. I think I will be less skittish now about dunking a Coach!

Attachments

• bellbag1.jpg
    bellbag1.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 122
  • bellbag2.jpg
    bellbag2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 119
Question for the experts: if you are fixing edge coat that looks like some picked it off in a morse code fashion would you fill in the blanks or remove the lingering bits and redo the whole handle and strap? I cannot honestly fathom what happened to this bag’s edging.

Question for the experts: if you are fixing edge coat that looks like some picked it off in a morse code fashion would you fill in the blanks or remove the lingering bits and redo the whole handle and strap? I cannot honestly fathom what happened to this bag’s edging.
I would removed the bits. It’ll be easier to get a smooth finish!

Thank you...because of the cost of getting them to NZ I have to think really hard on what I want. I admit the last one was impulse.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being more discerning in your purchases. I’m more discerning at present. I have been out bid of lately and I am taking a pass on several bags where my offer was not accepted, which is fine by me. I have purchased a lot of inexpensive bags impulsively, a long with several not so inexpensive bags. They are not all keepers for the long haul. I am mulling over thinning the herd. Luckily, I consider this a hobby, so as long as I don’t go over my allowance . . . ;)
There something about the Crescent / Saddle/ Berkeley Flap silhouette I really like. Hope your Berk grows on you!

Definitely remove it all. You'll never get a smooth line without doing that.

Thank you...because of the cost of getting them to NZ I have to think really hard on what I want. I admit the last one was impulse.
Narnanz...NZ is on my bucket list!! I was in New York and I have too many! But I have a problem with vintage Coach. Big time. So when I visit. I have doubles and triples omg. I have four convertible clutch, three compact pouch etc. omg! if you get a chance to go to new York...or if I get a chance to NZ (is it true more sheep than people? lol) I have to stop going to new York.

Reactions: Narnanz
I'm no expert but I have tried to repair a strap where only sections were missing and it did not work well. I'm planning on removing all the edging and just redo the entire thing.

Reactions: aerinha
Narnanz...NZ is on my bucket list!! I was in New York and I have too many! But I have a problem with vintage Coach. Big time. So when I visit. I have doubles and triples omg. I have four convertible clutch, three compact pouch etc. omg! if you get a chance to go to new York...or if I get a chance to NZ (is it true more sheep than people? lol) I have to stop going to new York.
Lots of sheep yes...but not so much in the way of vintage coach bags...I would love to go to NY and go vintage coach shopping.

Huzzah! My Reginas are finally done! Took a few weeks, but the rehabbing process was surprisingly therapeutic. As an experiment, I used Blackrock on the black one and Renapur on the tabac/British tan? one. Honestly, I don't mind either, but I did struggle a wee bit more using Blackrock, but mainly because I didn't exactly know the correct method of application. The horsehair brush really did save the day though, giving both bags a nice shine. Also, no one mentioned how fun buffing leather can be! I found myself enjoying it way too much, hahah. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the bags.
IMG_20191020_121121.jpg
A closer look at the tabac Regina, using Renapur after a few coats of CPR.
IMG_20191020_121134.jpg
I previously shared photos of the black Regina, but here she is again. With one coat of Blackrock.
IMG_20191020_121142.jpg
I will say that the leather on the black Regina is a lot more buttery soft than the tabac. But that could also be due to the bag being more 'broken in'. As for the tabac bag, even though there may be some darkened areas (like patina or something), which I didn't manage to remove, it's still a beauty and I'm really happy with how they both turned out! :smile: