Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Is there a good brand to use and how hard is it to match something like British Tan? Thanks for your expertise!
I haven't paid attention to brands. I have used several. BTs vary by bag. I've used Scribbles brown and Polymark medium brown. You can mix them, or you can use something close and then paint over it with regular acrylic, but if you do this, you'll probably have to add some gloss medium to the acrylic unless you can find a shiny paint.

Reactions: LadyEdwards
In case you are interested, here are before and after pictures and information about a vintage Lexington Briefcase that I rehabbed. It was black and dark bags are generally easier to rehab then lighter bags, but it did have condition issues; including damaged piping and verdigris.
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/coach-rehab-and-rescue-club.833400/page-970#post-31594799

I don't see a coach hangtag on your sister's briefcase, is it missing? You can call coach customer service and they will send a free replacement hangtag. They will ask the style number for the bag and the color of the bag and the hardware. They usually send a simple, metal hangtag that matches the hardware.

If you think that the turnlock is damaged, they will also send free turnlock replacement kits for vintage bags.

Good luck!
Katev - thank you so much! I am nervous because my first two rehabs were black Willis bags, I've never done tan. Your rehab on the Lexington is amazing. I will ask my little niece the spy to check out the hangtag :smile:
I don't think the turnlock is damaged, the leather has a hole next to the turnlock.

Reactions: katev
I am working on a Coach Rambler bag. I soaked it in water with Dawn and the water came out black. I am thinking dye or shoe polish. I've soaked it twice since then in water with Dawn. The water is still coming out pretty dark. Right now, I've got it in just plain water. Anybody else run into something similar?

I applied Leather CPR and it just didn't seem to absorb right. I thought it might still have Dawn on it so I ran a new tub of water with vinegar. And I am beginning to think this bag was originally navy and someone went over it with black shoe polish. I dumped the water and am starting over with Dawn water. Every time I dunk it I get lots of dark water. And in certain places it looks dark blue. Anybody run into something similar?

I applied Leather CPR and it just didn't seem to absorb right. I thought it might still have Dawn on it so I ran a new tub of water with vinegar. And I am beginning to think this bag was originally navy and someone went over it with black shoe polish. I dumped the water and am starting over with Dawn water. Every time I dunk it I get lots of dark water. And in certain places it looks dark blue. Anybody run into something similar?
If it is shoe polish, I think you'll need something stronger to remove it. Probably acetone. Vintage navy and black were very close, hard to tell apart.

Reactions: Sunshine mama
I have never worked with acetone. Do you wipe it down with a rag soaked in it? And will it damage the leather?

Thank you
Yes that is how it is done. It can take some elbow grease. Just do a small area first. If a lot of color comes off onto the rag, that is probably proof that it was shoe polished or painted. It isn't good for the leather. Give it a bath after you are done.

In my experience shoe polish doesn't run in the bath, but excess dye does. It appears random to me which bags bleed or not. Lots of rehabbers here have mentioned red runs a lot but in my experience it doesn't run much or at all, even on older bags. I once had what I thought was a black bag run absolutely intense red in the water. The suede on the inside appears deep brown, while the leather outside appears black. I swabbed it with some acetone and nothing came off. Mysterious!

Lol.. I didn't even think about the source being the branding on the cow! That would've been really cool to have in my opinion.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and finish and then auction it off. I don't have high hopes for this one. Lol!
Update on my hobo: the veining practically disappeared after the bag dried! It's barely noticeable now!
fed532b588923c388473daa6801be523.jpg

And here are some pictures of my beautiful little beechnut Gracie 4413 with her new, gold strap! It's not a perfect match because the bag has brushed gold hardware and the strap is shiny gold - but I think that they look good together and I am finally planning to carry little Gracie this weekend!

View attachment 4178462

View attachment 4178463

View attachment 4178464

View attachment 4178465

View attachment 4178466

View attachment 4178472

There is a red Gracie bag on Poshmark at the link below. The asking price is $135 and I think that is too much for small bag that is missing both the hangtag and the strap, but it has been posted for awhile and they will consider offers.

I mention it only because you don't often see a red Gracie although I know that they made them, I think the color is called Garnet.

I think it would look great with a gold hangtag and a gold chain strap, but only if you could get the price down.
https://poshmark.com/listing/COACH-VINTAGE-BAG-1994-MADISON-GRACIE-5bbe5b2f3c98442a6ccb7066

Last edited:
If anyone needs "parts" for a vintage British Tan bag rehab, this poor Basic Bag listed on ebay for $10 or best offer has really been through the wringer and has damaged piping. But I think that you might be able to salvage the strap, rehab it, and use it for a BT Station bag or other vintage BT bag with 1/4 inch strap and brass trigger snap hardware:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CO...m=163441793851&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060

If anyone needs "parts" for a vintage British Tan bag rehab, this poor Basic Bag listed on ebay for $10 or best offer has really been through the wringer and has damaged piping. But I think that you might be able to salvage the strap, rehab it, and use it for a BT Station bag or other vintage BT bag with 1/4 inch strap and brass trigger snap hardware:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-COACH-Tan-Beige-Leather-Crossbody-Purse-Shoulder-Bag-479-5849/163441793851?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20140107095009&meid=b8273fcc4cfd4c99b9f99b53ed1c3c4e&pid=100040&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=163441793851&itm=163441793851&_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060
It's not a basic bag. It's a companion bag. It looks kind of light. I'm not sure it is BT. I think it might be a good practice bag.

It's not a basic bag. It's a companion bag. It looks kind of light. I'm not sure it is BT. I think it might be a good practice bag.

You are correct of course, and I actually have a Companion bag and a Basic Bag! I noticed it was light but I thought that it was just badly faded and dried out! I've been surprised by the final color of some bags after rehabbing.