Coach Classics Leather - Is Black better for rainy weather?

Jan 26, 2011
Hi! I am trying to decide on a Coach Classic piece for xmas for myself. I can't decide yet what style I want but just wanted to know for the classic leather, will black be less prone to water spots when it's raining? I plan on using my Colloni spray to waterproof it. I also know it will rain a lot in SF in jan-march and I'd like a bag that would work when it's at least light rain. I would prefer getting something with color like British Tan or the Vermillion.

I have the Coach Classic Shoulder Purse in white and it does well when there is light sprinkling and I didn't even spray it yet. The leather seems smoother on the surface.

I am deciding between either the Station Bag / Willis or the Stewardess / Duffle. I want something not too small like my shoulder bag and I want to fit my long wallet in there. I also don't want something too big that I end up not carrying it cuz it's heavy.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi! I am trying to decide on a Coach Classic piece for xmas for myself. I can't decide yet what style I want but just wanted to know for the classic leather, will black be less prone to water spots when it's raining? I plan on using my Colloni spray to waterproof it. I also know it will rain a lot in SF in jan-march and I'd like a bag that would work when it's at least light rain. I would prefer getting something with color like British Tan or the Vermillion.

I have the Coach Classic Shoulder Purse in white and it does well when there is light sprinkling and I didn't even spray it yet. The leather seems smoother on the surface.

I am deciding between either the Station Bag / Willis or the Stewardess / Duffle. I want something not too small like my shoulder bag and I want to fit my long wallet in there. I also don't want something too big that I end up not carrying it cuz it's heavy.

Thanks for any advice!
I lived in San Francisco in the 80's and bought a new Coach every year, always brown. I don't recall ever having a problem with water spotting. I don't know if they tan the leathers the same way now, but back then it took a lot to stain them. It seems like black would be safer but I don't know for sure.

I have a black leather men's Coach bag and it holds up perfectly fine in rain, I've never seen water spots on it. I know the leather is already waterproofed, but it may not hurt to spray it as well? I would think british tan would hold up fine as well! Vermillion I might be a little worried about? Good luck!

I own over 20 classic Coach bags, most are navy, but several are red. Before I started reading this I never thought twice about how rain would affect my bags - it never did. I just let them dry - if I am carrying my Nook and my cell I ususally put them in a zip lock bag. While most of my bags are navy, even the red seems to do well. I moisturize the bags, but do not do anything in particular to pamper them. I have also gotten my Kristin pale pink wet and had no problems. I also have the pale blue grey from last winter and I commute by car, train and subway and walk in between the commuter rail and the subway to my job and the bag has gotten wet with no problems.

I lived in San Francisco in the 80's and bought a new Coach every year, always brown. I don't recall ever having a problem with water spotting. I don't know if they tan the leathers the same way now, but back then it took a lot to stain them. It seems like black would be safer but I don't know for sure.

Thanks! I decided on getting the Stewardess bag and they only have it in black anyway so I'll stick with that.

Thanks! I decided on getting the Stewardess bag and they only have it in black anyway so I'll stick with that.

In case you're interested, I had called Coach a few days ago about the Stewardess in British tan, and CS told me that it will be back in stock the end of January.

I went ahead and bought the Legacy Zip in that color, so I'll probably pass because the two bags are so similar. I had my local retail store order several of the Originals so that I could pick and choose.