Coach Classics Leather - Is Black better for rainy weather?

coquettebags

Jan 26, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hi! I am trying to decide on a Coach Classic piece for xmas for myself. I can't decide yet what style I want but just wanted to know for the classic leather, will black be less prone to water spots when it's raining? I plan on using my Colloni spray to waterproof it. I also know it will rain a lot in SF in jan-march and I'd like a bag that would work when it's at least light rain. I would prefer getting something with color like British Tan or the Vermillion.

I have the Coach Classic Shoulder Purse in white and it does well when there is light sprinkling and I didn't even spray it yet. The leather seems smoother on the surface.

I am deciding between either the Station Bag / Willis or the Stewardess / Duffle. I want something not too small like my shoulder bag and I want to fit my long wallet in there. I also don't want something too big that I end up not carrying it cuz it's heavy.

Thanks for any advice!

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
Hi! I am trying to decide on a Coach Classic piece for xmas for myself. I can't decide yet what style I want but just wanted to know for the classic leather, will black be less prone to water spots when it's raining? I plan on using my Colloni spray to waterproof it. I also know it will rain a lot in SF in jan-march and I'd like a bag that would work when it's at least light rain. I would prefer getting something with color like British Tan or the Vermillion.

I have the Coach Classic Shoulder Purse in white and it does well when there is light sprinkling and I didn't even spray it yet. The leather seems smoother on the surface.

I am deciding between either the Station Bag / Willis or the Stewardess / Duffle. I want something not too small like my shoulder bag and I want to fit my long wallet in there. I also don't want something too big that I end up not carrying it cuz it's heavy.

Thanks for any advice!
I lived in San Francisco in the 80's and bought a new Coach every year, always brown. I don't recall ever having a problem with water spotting. I don't know if they tan the leathers the same way now, but back then it took a lot to stain them. It seems like black would be safer but I don't know for sure.

Sep 13, 2011
NYC
I have a black leather men's Coach bag and it holds up perfectly fine in rain, I've never seen water spots on it. I know the leather is already waterproofed, but it may not hurt to spray it as well? I would think british tan would hold up fine as well! Vermillion I might be a little worried about? Good luck!

millgirl70

Jul 3, 2007
I own over 20 classic Coach bags, most are navy, but several are red. Before I started reading this I never thought twice about how rain would affect my bags - it never did. I just let them dry - if I am carrying my Nook and my cell I ususally put them in a zip lock bag. While most of my bags are navy, even the red seems to do well. I moisturize the bags, but do not do anything in particular to pamper them. I have also gotten my Kristin pale pink wet and had no problems. I also have the pale blue grey from last winter and I commute by car, train and subway and walk in between the commuter rail and the subway to my job and the bag has gotten wet with no problems.

coquettebags

Jan 26, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I lived in San Francisco in the 80's and bought a new Coach every year, always brown. I don't recall ever having a problem with water spotting. I don't know if they tan the leathers the same way now, but back then it took a lot to stain them. It seems like black would be safer but I don't know for sure.
Thanks! I decided on getting the Stewardess bag and they only have it in black anyway so I'll stick with that.

ms_sue

Aug 25, 2008
Thanks! I decided on getting the Stewardess bag and they only have it in black anyway so I'll stick with that.
In case you're interested, I had called Coach a few days ago about the Stewardess in British tan, and CS told me that it will be back in stock the end of January.

I went ahead and bought the Legacy Zip in that color, so I'll probably pass because the two bags are so similar. I had my local retail store order several of the Originals so that I could pick and choose.