Coach As Designer Or Just A Brand

Is Coach Designer wear?

• Yes, it totally is

• No, not really

• Sort of (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
pursefetish said:
i Also, what distinguishes "brand" from "designer"....isn't it just who makes the pieces?

Good question. Dior is the original brand, but Galliano is the designer. Chanel - Lagerfeld. Fendi had the Fendi Sisters but Karl has his hand in it too. Sprouse and Murikami breathed life into Vuitton. Yet Vuitton does custom orders, that could set them apart.

Sometimes I think that "designer" is thrown around too easily. Kind of like "Diva". A Diva is an opera singer. (i.e. a very high strung, spoiled, difficult, but talented woman) Maria Callas to be specific. But it seems an awful lot of women are being called Diva's now. (not directed to anyone on the forum who's nickname is Diva:smile: )

JoV said:
Sometimes I think that "designer" is thrown around too easily. Kind of like "Diva". A Diva is an opera singer. (i.e. a very high strung, spoiled, difficult, but talented woman) Maria Callas to be specific. But it seems an awful lot of women are being called Diva's now. (not directed to anyone on the forum who's nickname is Diva:smile: )

OMG JoV..... SOOOOO AGREE.

I think it's ridiculous to call a hip hop star a diva. I also find it weird that this is a compliment thrown around these days. Also am miffed about how every dancer is considered a prima ballerina. Anyway, OT.

ETenebris said:
Actually Rebecca Romijn-Stamos (not sure if I spelled that right, and I think she has dropped the "Stamos" now) is photographed carrying a lot of Coach bags. When the suede/metallic leather satchel came out last year, I know three major celebrities were photographed carrying the bag. I may have a pic somewhere...let me dig. So my point is that that the A-listers ARE starting to carry Coach (since Reed took over and gave them some fresh style), and they have been featured competitively with the high-end brands.

RRS isn't exactly A-list anymore. By A-list, I meant people like Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson, Kimora Lee, Beyonce (sp?), Mariah Carey, Oprah. People like that. You never see women like that with Coach.

Are Kimora and Lindsey really A-listers?

I always thought A-List applied to people like Reese Witherspoon and Julia Robets. haha, OT I know- I'm just curious. I consider Miss Lindsey an IT girl, but not an A-lister. :-P nothing to do w/ coach, just curious.

PS.

wasn't there a picture of Ashlee ( the better counterpet of jessica) simpson carrying a bunch of coach shopping bags?

purselova34 said:
RRS isn't exactly A-list anymore. By A-list, I meant people like Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson, Kimora Lee, Beyonce (sp?), Mariah Carey, Oprah. People like that.

I agree with Oprah, but the rest... A-list? :amazed: Where have I been?

In my opinion, Coach is expensive as far as brands go but it's not a designer label. Designer to me means a distinct signature look that is unique to a fashion house. Louis Vuitton's got its multicolore, Vernis, Suhali looks, Chanel the chain strap bags and quilted leather, Burberry has the plaid canvas, Gucci exclusively uses the horsebit, etc. Those fashion houses usually do not borrow these signatures from each other because it's not original. They each try to create the trends and cater to a wealthier market. Brands like Coach, Dooney & Bourke, and Juicy Couture don't create trends but rather copy them to deliver to a mass market at lower prices. I mean, Juicy bags often look just like Luella, D & B copied LV's silkscreened multicolor logos. Shortly after Coach jumped on that bandwagon with their Scribble collection. Many of their bags also mimic Gucci (logoing), Marc Jacobs (-esque exterior pockets), and so forth.

Just my opinion, though.

purselova34 said:
RRS isn't exactly A-list anymore. By A-list, I meant people like Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson, Kimora Lee, Beyonce (sp?), Mariah Carey, Oprah. People like that. You never see women like that with Coach.

actually, eva longoria is frequently spotted wearing new coach stuff. considering how popular she is right now, i would consider her an "A-lister"

Raspberry said:
In my opinion, Coach is expensive as far as brands go but it's not a designer label. Designer to me means a distinct signature look that is unique to a fashion house. Louis Vuitton's got its multicolore, Vernis, Suhali looks, Chanel the chain strap bags and quilted leather, Burberry has the plaid canvas, Gucci exclusively uses the horsebit, etc. Those fashion houses usually do not borrow these signatures from each other because it's not original. They each try to create the trends and cater to a wealthier market. Brands like Coach, Dooney & Bourke, and Juicy Couture don't create trends but rather copy them to deliver to a mass market at lower prices. I mean, Juicy bags often look just like Luella, D & B copied LV's silkscreened multicolor logos. Shortly after Coach jumped on that bandwagon with their Scribble collection. Many of their bags also mimic Gucci (logoing), Marc Jacobs (-esque exterior pockets), and so forth.

Just my opinion, though.

i very much agree with this. i really see coach as more of a brand verses a designer. some of that has to do with pricing and exclusivity, but a lot of it also has to do with design concept. i have yet to see coach start a trend, instead of following them.

IntlSet said:
Hiya Bjara! Ooooo.... I have to take a stab at it. Shucks, I feel old now... I'm going to say around 1997 or 98. Definitely less than ten years ago... or at least, that's when the brand made a turn-around.

They did a few really interesting things one of which I think I've mentioned before. Krakoff openly admitted to making the bags a poorer quality because the old Coach bags were so durable that nobody ever bought replacements. Also the insanely quick shift of collections prompts consumers to buy more.

D&B was inspired by this and tried to follow in Coach's footsteps with less success.

Anyway, very, very interesting business case.

I have been thinking about this. I am wondering if he was referring to the leather. Before the take over, the older bag used to be constructed out of really heavy weight leather. Thick stuff. Now all the leather bags are made with what they used to call their "lightweight" leather, when they had two kinds. I don't see a difference in the stitching, or linings (actually the originals didn't have linings) so all I can figure is the leather weight. Oh, and that they came out with cloth bags as well.

All my Coach bags are leather, only because it's what I prefer. They have all been used extensively, and still look brand new. I don't know, they served a purpose for me. :biggrin:

ETenebris said:
Reed Krakoff is the man who has been designing for Coach for the last few years. Occassionally they feature a bag that has been designed by someone else, and it usually bears the name of the designer. I consider Coach to be a designer bag. The quality is equal to (and sometimes better than) the premier designer bags I own, AND Coach provides a lifetime warranty on everything they sell and has outstanding customer service. WWD Accessories came out last week and they include Coach bags with the Chloe and Ferragamo, so if it's "designer" enough for WWD, it's designer enough for me. The bag that is going for $798 (which I originally thought was outrageous) is a BIG bag, so size and amount of materials should be taken into account. LV just hiked all of their prices, and their $1000 bags aren't even leather...they are the signature fabric. I don't like Coach logo bags, or any logo bags, but their leather bags are amazing. And affordable.

Yep, I agree, this is a huge bag. Even too big for me, because the strap was so long. I saw it in the catalog, and had go go and take a peek. :P The SA said that it will be in limited supply, so I don't think this one will make it to the outlets.

RobbieNEmmy said:
I TOTALLY agree!

7466_B4WT_d2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, the bag is beautiful. BUT! For $867.82 (with my NY taxes...) I would NEVER buy it (rather, I would never advise anyone to buy it). Ever! Especially when I know that eventually it will end up at the outlets for like $400! No way. I would rather kick in some more money and get a nice Vuitton bag.

I wonder...it's a beautiful design, it's made out of gorgeous leather, and it has wonderful detailing. Is the objection to the price mainly because it's by Coach? If that very same bag carried a Fendi, Jimmy Choo or YSL label, people would probably marvel that it was so reasonably priced. :lol:

I've been lusting after that bag since I saw it, and it's on my list! I'm also getting the Coach large straw tote for the summer. It's 498.00 and every bit as beautiful - or more so! - as designer bags at twice the price. I've only seen them on the website and in the catalog, but I'd be surprised if they were less impressive in person.

Given all that, I still consider Coach a brand rather than designer. Still, they're good quality bags, and I love every one in my closet!