cleaning a Kooba?

if you find a good place in DC area, please tell me!
I have a pair of pink suede shoes to be cleaned and my local cleaners rejected to take them (said they might ruin them ad don't want to take responsibility :sad: )

I just got a pink talia and had the same questions-some of the members recommended this site and their products http://www.lovinmybags.com/ -they do suede. I have a Coach suede bag that I spot treated with a suede brush and it looks okay, but Kooba dyes are persnickety.

I ended up using Wilson's protective spray (http://www.wilsonsleather.com/produ...35120&cp=2446812.1835416&parentPage=family)on on my talia which was a good thing because my husband spilled coffee on it not 3 weeks later. Luckily the stains came right off (I had it in surgery less than 5 minutes after the spill so it didn't soak in much) with my Coach brand leather cleaner and conditioner and you can barely tell where the spill was. I retreated it with the Wilson's spray just in case and have banned the man from being within 5 feet of my bag with food, beverage, pens, or other scary objects.

My white leather Kooba Ellisha need to be clean first before I spray it with Wilson. I tried to put some Lexol conditioner (someone told me that conditioner works like light cleaner) but now I have a spot on my bag. What to do?:confused1:

I just purchased the Balenciaga purse cleaning kit from lovinmybags.com and it worked great on my pink kooba Callie and then a Marcelle that I just bought that was in great condition but after I used this kit to clean, moisturize, shine restore and protect looks even better. Another thing that thewebsite does is restoration for the bag and I believe you can send it into them and they can take care of stains and have some pricing on the site to go by and you can send them a PIC. They may even be able to give you some advice on something to purchase from them to try and use first. I would try them as I am very happy with my items I purchased for my bags and the whole kit worked great.:tup:

Oh, Geez, how I detest all things suede!! You pay perfectly good money for an item, and because the finish is so darned fragile, you might as well give up!! If there is a good leather or shoe repair place anywhere near you, you could try there. Either that, or they could give you some good recommendations. Other than that the lovinmybags website seems to be a staple around here, and I am sure they are very very good. Good luck to you. I feel your pain.

Hi Girls,

I'm new to this forum and I'm super happy to have found people who love Koobas as much as I do! :yahoo:

I have two issues with my Claudia and Sienna:

The antique finish on the Claudia brass studs are fading away and I want to restore the bronze color (right now it's super shiny yellow).

The brass plates on my Sienna are oxidizing and I want to get rid of the black spots.

Does anyone have tips on restoring the antique finish and getting rid of the oxidation without damaging the bag?

Thanks!!

For cleaning oxidation, I can recommend MAAS metal cleaner (sold at most supermarkets) Worked great on my Coach brass; not had a problem yet with my Kooba's! Do you live in a wet climate?

Use a q-tip & tread lightly. I would be careful of the leather.

Thanks Rosenpetals! I do live in a pretty humid climate (DC) so maybe that's why.

I would think there's some protectant to keep metals form oxidation, but I have at least one Coach bag that did, (& I live in sunny Ca) That MAAS cleaned the green and says it protects, so see if that helps!

I'm sure there must be other products, if you can't find that one.

I purchased a used Mattie via ebay in the color Stone and the listing said that the leather had darkened over time due to sun exposure and misc use. First of all, is this typical of just normal use or do you really have to beat a a purse to get this effect?

But the main question I have is that I plan on cleaning the leather when I receive it. I have Applecare Conditioner and Cleaner but I haven't used it and the ladies at the Hayden-Harnett subforum say that Applecare isn't that great and one person had their white purse yellowed because of the conditioner.

So I guess my question is how do you suggest I clean the Mattie tote and what's your opinion of Applecare (I suppose specifically with Kooba leather)?

Looking at alternative products, I'm thinking of Wilsons TLC but that's more a conditioner than a cleaner. Are there any other leather cleaner suggestions out there? Also do I clean first then condition or does cleaner usually condition the bag already.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Good question. There's been past discussions on this in the forum so a quick search should yield good results. For the most part I've only ever used LMB products on the few Koobas I've needed to clean. I think the type of leather matters too on how you treat it (unfinished v finished). For example: I just cleaned an Ada, which is finished and has a slight sheen to it. However, I would never clean my Desert Marcelle myself, which is an 'unfinished' leather. The color would darken, etc.

I think the LMB products, which are formulated to the pH of the leather, are your best bet. But still do a search in this forum to see past discussion for more info. :smile:

OMG I want to cry..... I got the Mattie tote and it's in SUCH bad condition! The leather is darkened but it's so inconsistent and splotchy and the bag just looks DIRTY. The seller won't accept returns so I tried to clean it with Apple cleaner and it just made it DARKER. It got rid of the multiple stains that were on the bag but it made the color all weird.

GAHHH!! What do I do?? I purchased some Wilson TLC and I'm thinking of getting LMB cleaner but I've been looking all over TPF and I can't find a tread that talks about how to lightened darkened leather. I'm so upset....