Chris Rock

That was a very insightful article. I agree that kids these days are growing up with far more tolerance about race and way more surprise about the discrimination that happens between generations.

I've liked most of Chris Rock's stuff and I admire his ability to be candid, yet tactful in his views.

I read the article the other day and thought it was really good.

Chris Rock was also pretty good in the THR writers roundtable... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP3U_6CHO5Y

That was a very insightful article. I agree that kids these days are growing up with far more tolerance about race and way more surprise about the discrimination that happens between generations.

I've liked most of Chris Rock's stuff and I admire his ability to be candid, yet tactful in his views.

:yes:

I like what Chris had to say for the most part. But the truth is nobody should want to be a part of Hollywood. It's decaying so let it rot. And let all those people and their prejudices and racism rot too. Hollywood has about 10 more decent years left, imo.

Great articles there. I'm a huge fan of Chris'. Glad to see he is helping others come up. Problem is many minorities, when they make it, want to be the only minority in the "in-crowd". That's the problem, not just in hollywood.

Problem is many minorities, when they make it, want to be the only minority in the "in-crowd". That's the problem, not just in hollywood.
Say what now? I'm going to give you the chance to clarify before I go into why you're wrong, not to mention slightly offensive, af.

Last edited:
Great articles there. I'm a huge fan of Chris'. Glad to see he is helping others come up. Problem is many minorities, when they make it, want to be the only minority in the "in-crowd". That's the problem, not just in hollywood.

I think maybe because in Hollywood, as Chris says, there are only a few "spots" open to minorities. It's not any fault of the minority, rather it's the system - instead of receiving all of them with open arms as the talented, deserving people they are, they seek to stereotype them and then congratulate themselves for being liberal enough in thinking to do so and "allowing" one or two to join the ranks.

Most of Hollywood seems to pay lip service to minorities. That is, they celebrate the few that are "allowed" to make it through while ignoring the vast numbers who are equally worthy.

I think it's easy, as someone who isn't a person of colour to not see the issue - we are very well represented on the screen to the point where it's blase'.

But if the shoe was on the other foot and I didn't see myself (ie caucasian peeps) as often on the big screen - how would I feel? Not represented and slighted? Absolutely.

Things need to change. I'm glad Chris is opening up some kind of dialogue for discussion.

Note: I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone (ie minorities) - this just my opinion as an outsider to the situation.

Last edited:
Say what now? I'm going to give you the chance to clarify before I go into why you're wrong, not to mention slightly offensive, af.

I get that Grazia is saying it's a crabs in a barrel mentality. How many times "we" don't like to see others succeed. If "we" succeed we don't reach back and help others. 'We" want to be the only one that stands out, sticks out in the bunch.

The sad thing is I was talking to someone one day last year in regards to the industry that we are in, and they actually said that to me. About wanting to be the only one, not promoting so much about the job.

Sad.

I get that Grazia is saying it's a crabs in a barrel mentality. How many times "we" don't like to see others succeed. If "we" succeed we don't reach back and help others. 'We" want to be the only one that stands out, sticks out in the bunch.

The sad thing is I was talking to someone one day last year in regards to the industry that we are in, and they actually said that to me. About wanting to be the only one, not promoting so much about the job.

Sad.
is that what she's saying? I'm not so sure which is why I gave her the opportunity to expound, I'm not going to make an assumption. But if it's a question of opportunities, historically there haven't been many spots to allow for multiple minorities to sit at the table so no matter how much you want to help someone, there wasn't a place for them. The other issue is that, in helping someone, you threaten your own spot, as well as future spots, because not only will the opportunity not be given to the person you wish to help but the opportunity you currently have would be taken away from you. That's been reality. I've tried very much throughout my career to help not only minorities but women as well especially since I'm in the finance field. It's not easy and never has been something that the ol' boys are willing to consider readily and openly. That's a shared experience for many minorities and women. To trivialize it as minorities don't want to help each other as the problem, not just in Hollywood, but elsewhere is clearly said without any first hand experience and without any real understanding of the difficulties. To say the least, it's arrogant and ignorant. To say the second least, it's insulting and offensive because it's from a place of ignorance.

Your example may be of one person in a specific situation but that's not everyone or all of these alliances clubs, and organizations built to professionally support minorities/women would not exist.

This thing where people assume it's that easy gets tired. Like its physically exhausting to be black in this country sometimes. Like no matter what you accomplished, you still have to hear the BS. It just becomes draining, depressing, etc. at times. And what's worse is when it's from people who aren't even in the country because that's learned which means the media has done their job.

Ugh...I need to stay out these threads tonight.

is that what she's saying? I'm not so sure which is why I gave her the opportunity to expound, I'm not going to make an assumption. But if it's a question of opportunities, historically there haven't been many spots to allow for multiple minorities to sit at the table so no matter how much you want to help someone, there wasn't a place for them. The other issue is that, in helping someone, you threaten your own spot, as well as future spots, because not only will the opportunity not be given to the person you wish to help but the opportunity you currently have would be taken away from you. That's been reality. I've tried very much throughout my career to help not only minorities but women as well especially since I'm in the finance field. It's not easy and never has been something that the ol' boys are willing to consider readily and openly. That's a shared experience for many minorities and women. To trivialize it as minorities don't want to help each other as the problem, not just in Hollywood, but elsewhere is clearly said without any first hand experience and without any real understanding of the difficulties. To say the least, it's arrogant and ignorant. To say the second least, it's insulting and offensive because it's from a place of ignorance.

Your example may be of one person in a specific situation but that's not everyone or all of these alliances clubs, and organizations built to professionally support minorities/women would not exist.

This thing where people assume it's that easy gets tired. Like its physically exhausting to be black in this country sometimes. Like no matter what you accomplished, you still have to hear the BS. It just becomes draining, depressing, etc. at times. And what's worse is when it's from people who aren't even in the country because that's learned which means the media has done their job.

Ugh...I need to stay out these threads tonight.

Hang in there BerryDiva - and don't give up commenting - because the comments are valuable. It helps forward the discussion or at least put it out there. :hugs: A lot of it too is kind of what Chris is saying - the onus isn't on the minority to change.

Admittedly I'm in Oz, not the US but we have our own issues here as well.